You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-08-15 04:55:33

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Looking for a certain video

This is a real long shot, but does anyone happen to have a video called the "The Last Huskies"???
It's from when sled dogs were removed permanently from Antarctica so I doubt if it's been put on CD, the copy I had was VHS tape but it disappeared.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

30-08-15 04:55:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Looking for a certain video

#2 30-08-15 06:26:48

Triplea35
Verified Member

It is on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGr6MxmKCkQ

One of the dogs is called 'Zipper'

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 30-08-15 11:43:05

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Triplea35 wrote:

Thanks!

The dog 'Zipper' was named after me.
My mate Nobby Orchard used to go to one of the Australian bases regularly, working as a radio operator ( he got the "Antarctica Medal" for his services).
The mess held occasional "theme nights" when Nobby's turn came he declared a "Northern Territory night" - I sent him NT tourism posters to decorate the mess, and cheap rubber thongs (flip-flops) to wear while slouching at the bar and downing coldies in true Aussie fashion.

Just after that a litter of pups was born on the base, to name them everyone wrote a name of slip of paper, then one by one a pup was held up and a name was pulled out of a hat.
Nobby wrote 'Zipper' on his slip of paper as a thank-you for sending down the stuff, and my nickname was pulled out as a handsome, intelligent (natch) little black & white Husky pup was held up.
Zipper turned out to be a leader among dogs, especially the sled team. Surely there was divine intervention? cool cool cool oops three of the chest buttons on my shirt just popped.

The authorities decided to remove foreign contaminating material (apart from humans) because Antarctica is a pristine research area, so the dogs had to go and are now permanently banned.
The video shows the dogs being taken away.

From memory, Zipper went to Canada and was hitched up to a sled racing team.
Imagine a healthy male dog, fresh from tree-less Antarctica, finding himself attached to a sled again, but in a forest. WITH ALL THOSE TREES (pant pant drool)!
B****r the sled race, Zipper had trees to mark.

PS I've also had a hen named after me, by a couple of lads with learning difficulties that I was giving theory classes to at their home (they'd been given the hen by a friend).
"Zipper the chook" had arrived at the house in a small mesh cage which she slept in, but she used to raise a ruckus before sun rise to be let out, and soon became unpopular with the boys' mother.
I don't know Zipper's final fate, I hope the Colonel wasn't involved.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer