You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-08-15 10:50:03

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Loose centre RV mirror

My Lancer is getting long in the tooth (like me) and the centre mirror has loosened over the years.
It holds firmly enough to stay put after adjusting, but using the day/night lever moves it out of adjustment.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could put on the mirror's plastic ball & socket joint to stiffen it up a bit?

( No NOT super glue. )
( And for the speed readers, I'm asking how to make the mirror stickier, not where to stick my mirror lol )

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

24-08-15 10:50:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Loose centre RV mirror

#2 24-08-15 11:13:21

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Assuming you can get the ball out of the socket try Blue tack, I have used it on the auxiliary mirrors we use when instruction.
It doesn't need a lot and it takes up the extra clearance which has worn in to the ball and socket as well as having a "drag effect" initially.
Some manufacturers do White tack, it does the same job.

#3 24-08-15 17:41:28

RobC
Verified Member
Website

I was going to suggest 'plumbers mate' jointing compound for sealing joints on pipes and fittings. It is non setting and putty like, a bit like blue tac in texture but softer and stickier...... Ive just managed to get some on the ensuite carpet and its difficult to get off!

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#4 24-08-15 18:07:23

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Rob
Bearing in mind that Zipper is only 860 miles from the equator it is possible that the heat from the sun behind the screen.would keep plumbers mate too soft, it might even run.
Blue tack does harden here but it doesn't glue the socket to the ball  it just seems to adhere only to the surface of the socket.

Last edited by pegasus (24-08-15 18:08:12)

#5 25-08-15 08:18:57

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Hi Pegasus

Either may be worth a try. Plumbers mate can be used on pipes that have very hot water in them so heat shouldn't be a problem, though to be honest I would probably be looking at a complete new mirror. Its always being adjusted in a driving school car and needs to be right.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#6 25-08-15 10:02:04

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it.

I'm reluctant to remove the mirror at the ball joint in case I break something.
I'm also reluctant to replace it because of the cost as I'm recovering from 3 months off work.
And I'm reluctant to prise the mirror from the glass, I'm worried about breaking the windscreen.

Think I'll try plumber's mate (or equivalent, not sure if it's available here, but the friendly local Home Handyman Centre guys might help me).
Or, I can put up with a loose mirror because all this worry will shorten my life span  roll

Last edited by Zipper (25-08-15 10:04:41)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 28-08-15 21:32:34

johnp
Verified Member

Don't you have a scrappy nearby?

It would not have to be identical.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer