You are not logged in.

#1 13-08-15 12:20:40

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Drinks in the car

Hi All,

Given up posting on FB due to the unhelpful comments, petty arguments and unwanted advice to quit!

So, I have a bottle of water in the car from which I drink almost constantly - I suffer from a very dry mouth due to medication.  I am perfectly happy for pupils to bring a drink with them.  I have a pupil currently who always turns up with a can of Monster which he puts in the door recess and drinks from occasionally when we are stationary at the side of the road.  This makes me feel a little uncomfortable.  Monster is effectively a caffeine kick which may affect his driving/demeanour - there is no evidence of this at the moment.  I'm not sure I like having open cans in the car; they could spill or he might drop it.  Am I being too fussy?  I'm not sure how an examiner would react on test...

13-08-15 12:20:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Drinks in the car

#2 13-08-15 13:19:51

VandADI
Administrator

I would use that opportunity as a discussion point to establish why they feel the need to have an "energy" drink containing caffeine on their driving lessons? If it is because they are tired etc., then are they really in a fit state to drive? With a little bit more probing, you could discuss how driving can be compromised if tired and what the consequences of that would be?

I don't have an issue with pupils drinking water during lessons, just so long as they have stopped in a convenient place, besides we all must be conscious to hydrate with water, but energy drinks like Monster., etc., are not hydrating, are they?
My biggest hate with these so called energy drinks is that they have a really strong smell, especially in an enclosed area in our cars, the nasty smell lingers well after they have left, Yuk.....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 13-08-15 13:55:27

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

VandADI wrote:

I would use that opportunity as a discussion point to establish why they feel the need to have an "energy" drink containing caffeine on their driving lessons? If it is because they are tired etc., then are they really in a fit state to drive? With a little bit more probing, you could discuss how driving can be compromised if tired and what the consequences of that would be?

I don't have an issue with pupils drinking water during lessons, just so long as they have stopped in a convenient place, besides we all must be conscious to hydrate with water, but energy drinks like Monster., etc., are not hydrating, are they?
My biggest hate with these so called energy drinks is that they have a really strong smell, especially in an enclosed area in our cars, the nasty smell lingers well after they have left, Yuk.....

I don't think he needs the energy, I think it's just that he drinks it by default.  Strangely it doesn't pong particularly - I was expecting it too because my kids occasionally drink it and the smell is awful!

#4 13-08-15 14:04:06

VandADI
Administrator

I don't think he needs the energy, I think it's just that he drinks it by default.  Strangely it doesn't pong particularly - I was expecting it too because my kids occasionally drink it and the smell is awful

Another opportunity to discuss the ingredients of the drink and how it could affect his driving, if it his default drink as you say, then his body is constantly loaded with caffeine potentially making him hyper in the car.

In what way do you feel uncomfortable with him drinking in the car, is it the product that concerns you or the fact that is is an open can?

#5 13-08-15 15:17:16

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Energy drinks are the fashion with young people nowadays.  I have a lad who always brings lucozade, which is similar.

#6 13-08-15 19:30:39

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I cant do lessons without my cup of coffee.
Will never happen.
Need my caffeine.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 13-08-15 20:43:53

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Need my caffeine.
Peter

The only reason you need caffeine is because your body goes into withdrawal, much like nicotine.

Go without it for a month and your body loses the craving.

Like all drugs, your body goes on a downer when it doesn't get what it wants, having your caffeine fix only gets your body back to where it should normally be. Do without for a while, you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel...

#8 13-08-15 21:41:11

Evan
Administrator

Every motorway has a sign before a services stating that tiredness kills, encouraging people to pull over stretch their legs get fresh air and what else? Drink coffee, imbide caffeine.
For those of you who have never worked nights on a ward or in a factory, you would be surprised how many staff imbide caffeine in a variety of ways to stay awake, smoke cigarettes etc.
I am not sure why this person drinks energy drinks (personally I find them vile), however he will almost certainly do the same after he passes his test. As long as he is not driving and drinking from the can, he is doing nothing illegal, what would the examiner say? Would he drink it in his test or just have a drink before and then wait till the end of the test?
The fact is when a pupil books a driving lesson they have paid for the use of your car, whether they drink water, squash or fizzy drinks is their own business, I personally wouldn't allow him to have the can in the door, but between the seats there is a recess provided for cans and drinks so realistically he is doing what he sees lots of other drivers do, he probably sees a lot of drivers using their phones while driving talking and texting, he may well do the same himself post test, they will comply with what we ask and do what we teach to get that pink licence. Remember the saying "you only learn to drive after you pass your test!"
Remember we now work in the world of client centred approach! What the customer wants, the customer gets! We are just facilitators we are not supposed to judge just provide what they ask for!

#9 13-08-15 21:44:23

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I encourage my students to bring water in a capped bottle, and to tell me when they want to pull over and have a drink - very important down here where the aircon is almost always running with a dehydrating effect.
I've never had a student come with an energy drink though.
(Isn't it true that if you drink too much coffee you start to talk loud with an American accent?)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#10 15-08-15 15:46:21

jackm
Verified Member

WHAZZAT YA SAY ZIPPER OLE BUDDY?

#11 16-08-15 10:02:37

johnp
Verified Member

I would add a cautionary note.
Had a girl bring her own water for test.
Unobserved by me she put my small bottle on the back seat.
and put hers in the holder.

Get back after test and Examiner calls me over for a reprimand.

During ES the small bottle flew forward under the seat and into the driver's foot well.

Now I always secure them.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer