You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 27-07-15 14:25:41

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Windows!

I’ve always used Windows computers, currently I use an i5 powered Toshiba L500 laptop running Windows 7 (slowest computer I’ve ever used, even my old i5 desktop with a slower processor was several magnitudes faster), and an i7 powered PC also running Windows 7.

Lately I’ve had Windows up to the eyebrows - programs often clash with each other causing super-slow running or freeze ups, and I’m dogged by a virus which my antivirus program detects and clears every time the computer is booted, but reappears next time it’s booted despite the system being scanned and the internet not accessed.

Today I had an evening Theory class running to 8:30pm, I was very tired and wanted to pack up and get home to prepare dinner then get some sleep, right on 8:30 the class dismissed and I’d already started to pack before then, I only had to power down and stow the laptop, I would be home in 5 minutes (my unit is just up the road from the Uni).

When I powered down I got the dreaded message – don’t unplug or power off, Windows is installing updates.
77 updates!!! At 9:15 the security guys called in wondering why I wasn’t packed up and gone, at that stage it was only up to update number thirty – I was frustrated and fuming.

I’m sick of Windows but I have too many important programs which might not run on Mac systems – and I can’t afford a new computer anyway.
If anyone on this forum has actually changed from Windows to Mac, I would interested to hear all the details (no matter how gory).

Last edited by Zipper (27-07-15 21:57:20)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

27-07-15 14:25:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Windows!

#2 27-07-15 20:26:46

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I tried to go Mac, even bought a Mac Mini but just couldn't get on with it but I suppose everyone's different. I have found Windows 7 to be the most stable Windows I have ever used and if set up to avoid the annoyances like the update you mention then it helps a lot.

You could have a Mac with a dual boot for Windows so you can have the best of both worlds and allow access to the non Mac programs until you get an alternative.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#3 03-08-15 06:51:35

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I have a HP Pavilion PC running Windows 7
It's been brilliant so far, definitely the most reliable computer I've ever had and Windows 7 is fairly easy to use.
But, just recently one of the Windows updates changed all that causing a massive slow down in performance, frequent freezing and internet network connections problems!
In the end, I had to restore my computer to an earlier date using 'system restore' and turn-off the automatic Windows update installations.
I'm now very reluctant to install any new Windows updates!

Last edited by collywobs (03-08-15 06:52:28)

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#4 03-08-15 10:02:27

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the posts guys - I now wonder if the updates are what is causing my PC to run very slowly especially when loading, even Microsoft Office 365* takes a long time load.
Even the updates themselves, which have been loading & installing without incident the last few years, aren't doing well. A couple of times a group of 10 updates on my PC took 2 shut-downs to load without an error message.
You'd think that "Mighty (hah!) Microsoft" would get their updates right.
I've been avoiding the temptation to upgrade to Windows 10 as I read a negative comment on the experience on a website-building forum.

*365 = seconds to load  roll ?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#5 03-08-15 17:53:26

martin Williams
Verified Member

What Anti Virus program are you using?

#6 05-08-15 21:30:50

Mentor
Verified Member

Windows 10 has just installed itself on my laptop despite me scheduling it for a later date. However, everything is working fine and it has remembered all my data so can't complain YET!

#7 06-08-15 12:11:01

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I haven't changed my antivirus, it's Avira which I have been using for years.
I also have AVG too and yes I think that could be the problem.

I'm still a bit nervous about upgrading to Windows 10, I'll hang off for a while.

Hi Mentor is it closer to Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Last edited by Zipper (06-08-15 12:11:36)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 06-08-15 20:24:14

Mentor
Verified Member

Zipper wrote:

I haven't changed my antivirus, it's Avira which I have been using for years.
I also have AVG too and yes I think that could be the problem.

I'm still a bit nervous about upgrading to Windows 10, I'll hang off for a while.

Hi Mentor is it closer to Windows 8 or Windows 7?

From an upgrade from Windows 7 it's a bit of a hybrid between w7&w8 in that it retains ie11 and windows live mail alongside the new programs. If you did a clean install it would be closer to w8 with a start menu. File organisation is a bit different but perfectly useable. You get one drive automatically so you can keep backups of your files in the cloud. Other than that I can't see any real advantage in upgrading from windows 7 if it meets your needs.

Board footer