You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-07-15 13:22:39

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Lucky I had ...

Today I decided it was time to get a student on a faster (100kph/62mph) road so we went to the outer edges of Darwin onto a suitable road and got up to speed.
A flapping a noise came from the rear and I detected a slight lean to the right - flat tyre - so we immediately pulled over onto the shoulder and sho' nuff the rear right was on its way down.
I arranged for the girl's mother to come and pick her up and decided to try changing the wheel instead of calling roadside assistance, despite a bad knee and a touch of arthritis (whinge whine moan groan etc).
Luckily for me in the boot I had ...

(1) 2 traffic cones (used with the parking practice poles) and 3 warning triangles (mandatory trucker's kit down here): as luck would have it it was a roadside wheel, I don't trust Darwin drivers who are reluctant to slow down even when getting dangerously close to roadside features.

(2) Folding wheel chocks: I learned the hard way after being caught out once with nothing handy to chock wheels with.

(3) A hydraulic bottle jack: the Swift's scissor jack is horrible and you have to lie on your side to make sure it's properly positioned - I used the scissors jack to lift it just high enough to get the bottle jack under it.

(4) A torque multiplier: the wheel nuts were impossible to budge with the oversized cross brace I always carry (the standard kit brace is as useless as the scissor jack). Even with the torque multiplier it wa'n't real easy and it felt like I was going to snap the lugs before the nuts finally moved. Why do tyre centres do wheel nuts up so b****y tight?

(5) A small rubber mallet to gently tap the wheel to slide it off, it was stuck too hard to simply pull off (I didn't want to pull the car off the jack either).

(6) A spacesaver spare: OK normally I hate the things but today I blessed it because(a) it IS an actual spare and not stupid inflation kit, and (b) it's lightweight and fairly easy to lift into position. I didn't need the wheel lifter I usually carry. (I can't lift my other car's spare into position without out one though, it's a large full-sized wheel and just too heavy for me to deal with comfortably. The wheel lifter is a great piece of kit - you push down on a lever to lift the wheel while the other hand rotates it into position, then you slide it forward on the rollers and voila the wheel is in position! It's very fiddly to assemble though and if you don't fold it up again just so, you can't shut the carry case lid.

(7) Used wiper rubbers, bits of used paper towel, shopping bags, dead redback spider (the "luck" bit is because it was dead), wrappers off illicit substances, etc: OK I didn't need any of that either but it WAS a good reminder to get that boot cleaned out! BTW the "illicit substance" wrappers were from the occasional times I got naughty and ate a bit of candy, a big no-no for a chocoholic with diabetes. After my recent health scare though I won't be indulging again  sad  .

I also carry gloves, hand cleaner, jumper leads, reflective wrist bands, first aid kit and a fire extinguisher (the kitchen sink won't fit in the Swift's tiny boot).
Do other ADIs carry this sort of stuff?

Re wheel chocks. A few years ago I stayed with my newly-divorced sister down in Adelaide for a few days.
She asked me to check a tyre on her car parked in the driveway, yes one was down so I parked my own car alongside hers in the double driveway and got to work, using most of my own car's tools.
I replaced her wheel with the spare and put it in my boot to take to away for repair.
When I went to remove the chocks from my sister's car, they weren't there.
Strange! They were brand new chocks and I distinctly remember being pleased I had an opportunity to try them out. I went inside but my sister denied removing them (I got a strange look too as you can imagine lol).
I gave up and decided I'd better get to the repair centre before it closed, I hopped into my own car and started to reverse out the driveway.
It wouldn't move, as if the wheels were firmly chocked ........

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

11-07-15 13:22:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Lucky I had ...

Board footer