You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-07-15 16:03:38

johnp
Verified Member

My Licence Renewal

Well after 4 months of hassle I finally got my full licence back. So here is my story. (on various forums)
When you get to 70 and every 3 years afterwards, you need to notify the DVLA that you are medically fit to drive and surrender your licence for renewal. Most likely it will be returned with many of your original categories omitted and leave you with only Cat. B, BE, fklnp (and A if you have a full m/c licence).
You will not be told that to retain your other categories you now need to have a medical. I went for my 2nd medical in March and did not expect any problems. As it is a private medical it costs whatever your GP wishes to charge (£80 for mine). I was rushed at the end of a busy day and I sent off the medical form and that was the last I heard for weeks.
As my licence had expired I phoned DVLA to find out what was happening and got a recorded message stating that if I had not been waiting for 8 weeks they would not deal with my case. The form was then returned 3 times.
FIRSTLY - the GP had not answered a sight question in the negative. SECONDLY - my blood pressure was higher than they required and so they now needed 3 consistently low readings.
THIRDLY- I needed to be tested with my glasses as the DVLA had changed the regulations for category D to 6/7.5 whereas it is 6/12 for Cat A,B and C.
It would have been so much easier if I had known the latest medical requirements that I now need to wear glasses if I drive a minibus, but am OK for a van, car and motorbike. I could have then complied with the requirements when I first completed the form. The glasses restriction is contained in an additional letter, but is not coded on the licence.
My advice Copy everything. If you want to retain your full licence get a medical. Don’t send off the form if your bp is 180/100 . Make sure you have your glasses if your sight is 6/7.5 on the Snellen chart. Give yourself months to get it all sorted. The amount of paperwork is unbelievable.
Fortunately, except for the delay, it has not caused me many actual problems because I did not need to hire a car, although I did not have photographic identification when I bought some loose tyres. But it could have been very serious if I have planned to drive abroad on holiday. Obviously if there had been serious problems I would have been pleased to have them identified.
My categories are now AM,A1,A2,A,B1,B,C1,C,D1,D,BE,C1E,CE,D1E,DE,fklnpq.
Not that I know what some of them stand for.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

04-07-15 16:03:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My Licence Renewal

#2 05-07-15 06:40:59

(ROG)
Verified Member

The D4 medical can be done by any doctor and if you pay more than £60 then consider yourself ripped off

Google - LGV medical

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 05-07-15 12:44:40

johnp
Verified Member

Yes I know that, but I would have to go to Southampton to get a cheaper doctor and take half a day off work and then go back again for 3 separate bp tests and an eyesight test.
Just not worth the hassle.
A bit like going to cheap ADIs.
I looked on Google and decided against it.

Last edited by johnp (05-07-15 12:48:14)

Driving is books-

#4 06-07-15 02:43:04

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi John, it looks like you're jumping through the same bureaucratic hoops as I am, perhaps the major difference is that I'm responsible for my own situation by letting my health slip whereas you have reached a certain age. You're a shining example of why senior instructors (in fact all senior people) should not be thrown onto the scrap heap.

The categories you listed: are they medical, licence grades, or something else? I'm especially intrigued about "fklnpq" or was that your fingers getting frustrated?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 06-07-15 06:11:42

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Here you go Zip:
f     Agricultural tractor
G     Road roller
H     Tracked vehicles
k     Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle
l     Electrically-propelled vehicle
M     Trolley vehicles
n     Exempt from duty

You need Cat M to be allowed to go to the supermarket in the UK, unless you just use a basket!   cool

Driving Cats

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#6 06-07-15 22:07:07

johnp
Verified Member

Hi Zipper,
The bureaucracy of 4 letters to the same recipient dealing with 4 separate questions is absurd.
They don't tell people of changes which would be so simple.

I bet most instructors don't know that you now need acuity tests in addition to number plate reading.
I wonder how many drivers are now unlicenced without being told.
How many know of the 6/7.5 requirement on the Snellen test.

What is the logic of being able to drive trucks, cars and bikes at 6/12 yet require 6/7.5 acuity for private minibuses?

Last edited by johnp (06-07-15 22:25:25)

Driving is books-

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 07-07-15 05:26:53

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

johnp wrote:

What is the logic of being able to drive trucks, cars and bikes at 6/12 yet require 6/7.5 acuity for private minibuses?

Ask the idiot "fascists" in Brussels, they have spent the last 3,000 years trying to take over our island and we seem to be letting them do it without "returning fire".

Board footer