You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 20-06-15 11:31:30

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Being broken into

Giz mentioned a housebreak in chatbox - I thought I'd start a thread on this subject.

One of my greatest fears is looking outside and seeing one or both cars missing - it did happen one morning and I nearly fainted until I remembered that one was "overnighting" at the repair workshop - having your house or unit broken into is just as bad if not worse.
I've been broken into twice, once while home and seated at my computer.
The little **** came in through the open door and walked behind me on his way to the bedroom - and I didn't notice.
The main bedroom door was shut so he must have gone into the other bedroom (door was open) and found nothing but cardboard boxes and decided to go back outside without taking anything.
I noticed him as he passed behind me again at a fast walk, I swung around in my chair got up and chased him onto the balcony, I almost grabbed him at the top of the outside stairs (middle floor of 3-storey block).
I'm glad I didn't chase him further I could easily have broken my neck, and if I did catch him I could've been charged with assault or murder.

The first time was in a different ground level unit, the thief broke the lock and took off with a dish containing my car keys, wallet, coins and wristwatch on the kitchen bench (yes I know stupid stupid me) while I was sound asleep.
Next morning I found the upturned dish with everything except the watch lying outside the front door.
My neighbour who was suffering from a chest problem said she couldn't sleep and at 1:00am went outside and while having a loud coughing fit saw a dark figure dash out of my front yard and race down the road.
He was obviously scared off, I was only missing my watch which he must have had on his wrist. My guardian angel must be keeping a close eye on me!!!!

Giz's chatbox post has got me thinking I should really improve my security ...
After the second burglary attempt I joined Neighbourhood Watch and was given a small convex mirror to stick up near my computer screen, this time I should spot someone sneaking in behind me but it's not enough.
Some time ago I bought a warning unit (an alarm is set off when a light beam is interrupted) and never got around to installing it, I will now do that (no excuse now, see image below).
AND I'll make sure my carkeys and wallet are hidden away in my bedroom every evening.

Has anyone else had the accommodation broken into?
What security measures do you take?

round_tuit.gif

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

20-06-15 11:31:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Being broken into

#2 20-06-15 13:33:09

Roadmaster
Verified Member

My burglar alarm is a small but very noisy dog if he hears any sound.

#3 20-06-15 14:13:09

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I have never been burgled but I imagine if I caught them I would not be kind to them, people who do that are the lowest form of life especially when targeting the elderly. I did have my car broken into once when they attempted to steal it which was bad enough. A passing police patrol caught them in the act, blood all over the steering wheel and seat where one cut him self trying to break the cover of the steering column. They both pleaded not guilty, one of them claimed the car was already open and the other said he didn't know the other defendant but was just getting a lift from him; turned out they were cousins, one of them got off and the other got suspended sentence and ordered to pay me £50 damages. The damage to the car was £275 and I never got a penny. That was in 1994 and not that I hold a grudge but if I ever happened to bump into either of they will regret it.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#4 20-06-15 17:22:43

Gizmotime
Administrator

It is horrible ( for want of a better word) to feel you have been violated in your own home, I'm just glad they didn't manage to actually get into the house.
I now sleep with a bat at the side of me, and I would use it, sod the conseqenses, my home my property, stuff what the law say's. sad
I am on Crutches, Hubby is in a wheelchair.

I cannot put on here what I really think of the scum. ( Vanda would ban me)

I'm still upset sad

Giz

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 21-06-15 08:23:45

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Before the thief walked into my unit behind my back, he must have been hanging around on the balcony where I had a roast cooking on the Weber BBQ.
I was sitting just inside with the sliding front door to my right and slightly behind me, I had a remote temperature display to check on the roast while I worked.
After I'd chased the thief away I checked on my roast and was surprised to find that although it should have been done, it wasn't even properly up to temperature.
Then it started to cook normally and I realised that the thief had been lifting the BBQ lid to check on it's progress, roast lamb was obviously on his list.
I had been engrossed in the computer as usual, if I'd looked at the temperature more often I would have gone out onto the balcony to check it and perhaps would have disturbed the thief earlier.
The thief was indigenous and looked to be about 12-15 years old but was definitely not a malnourished waif living on the streets, he looked very well fed and was wearing brand-new expensive-looking sports gear.

Roadmaster wrote:

... if he hears any sound.

A dog is a good alarm but I'm not allowed to have pets in my rented unit; if it was allowed I'd want my dog to not bark continuously keeping me & the neighbours awake.
Darwin Police have said that continuously barking dogs cause a lot of friction between neighbours but don't seem to deter burglars.

The problem with living in a rental unit is that I have to accept the inadequate security that comes with it.
Why are most security doors, down here at least, made of easily damaged aluminium or alloy?
Anyway, all a thief has to do with my security door is poke a finger through the flimsy fly wire, curl his finger around and operate the latch; the sliding glass door is next but locks aren't all that hard to break.
A local security company sells stainless-steel security doors - these make more sense, even if burglars eventually get past one, they'll take some time doing it and make a lot of noise in the process.

I can understand how you feel Giz but if UK law is like ours, the courts extend little sympathy towards people using violence to defend themselves or their property.
It's frustrating isn't it?
I'm glad I didn't catch the burglar, if I had I would've thrown reason to the winds and hammered the stuffing (or the roast lamb) out of him.

It's amazing how many vehicles are stolen here because thieves easily found the car keys inside the house or unit. People don't seem to learn.

PS my immediate neighbours have a small family dog which only barks when necessary, it is also occasionally put into a little dress which would help, you could sneak up on the burglar while they doubled up laughing. Similar to the famous "hamster and tortoise" anti-burglar pet animal combination.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 21-06-15 10:28:08

Gizmotime
Administrator

Zipper wrote:

I can understand how you feel Giz but if UK law is like ours, the courts extend little sympathy towards people using violence to defend themselves or their property.
It's frustrating isn't it?

That's very true hun, but I would do time for the swine if I had caught him. At least then I would have 3 meals a day, smile

Board footer