You are not logged in.

#1 17-06-15 05:07:58

Jonesn253

How to approach this pupil?

Hello guys

So I'm on a trainee licence and going to do my Pt 3 soon. I have this pupil today who I have had for one lessons once before. She's is 64 years old and has had a licence for over 40 years. She wants lessons so she can get to know my local town again as it has changed recently where they have removed a roundabout and put a light system in. She also wants to bring her driving standard back up and so forth.  How do I approach this pupil. I know it wouldn't be full talk through but last week I picked her up for a left mirror check when changing lanes and a left mirror check when leaving a roundabout and she said well I can't do that because my eyes will be leaving the road. I can tell she is stubborn so how do I get to her do these things without a conflict?

17-06-15 05:07:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How to approach this pupil?

#2 17-06-15 08:55:57

(ROG)
Verified Member

Demonstrate what you, and virtually all other drivers on the road, can do safely

If she then says she cannot or will not do it then explain she will never reach a basic safety standard and should review her options

Last edited by (ROG) (17-06-15 08:56:27)

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 17-06-15 17:00:16

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
As she has instigated the extra learning she is clearly aware that she may have some shortcomings.
Her eyes are probably leaving the direction of travel frequently without thinking about it.Keep a lookout for this happening and then relate it to her mirrors when changing direction.
Good luck
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 17-06-15 17:32:12

johnp
Verified Member

She has come to you voluntarily for a specific purpose.
That is what she is paying for and she would not appreciate you commenting too much about her driving skills.
It is the belief of older drivers that ADIs are dictatorial that prevents them coming for help.

So how do we approach it?
Very relaxed with incidental honing of her skills
Forget any PSIs or formal structure as it will not be appreciated.

It is great work and very satisfying, but we must come from where they are and not from some theory we want to lead them towards.   
With care we can transform not only their driving, but their lives by giving them back the confidence they require.

Forget Part 3 it is not relevant.

(PS I have written a book on this subject See below)

Last edited by johnp (17-06-15 17:33:58)

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 17-06-15 18:28:21

Jonesn253

johnp wrote:

She has come to you voluntarily for a specific purpose.
That is what she is paying for and she would not appreciate you commenting too much about her driving skills.
It is the belief of older drivers that ADIs are dictatorial that prevents them coming for help.

So how do we approach it?
Very relaxed with incidental honing of her skills
Forget any PSIs or formal structure as it will not be appreciated.

It is great work and very satisfying, but we must come from where they are and not from some theory we want to lead them towards.   
With care we can transform not only their driving, but their lives by giving them back the confidence they require.

Forget Part 3 it is not relevant.

(PS I have written a book on this subject See below)

John thank you for this.

It was her second lesson today and the reason she wants the lessons is because recently in our town (which is a fairly small town a lot of countryside around us) they have changed near enough the whole road system from round abouts to lights and multi lanes. She finds this very confusing about which lane to be in etc. but as we spoke which was not much at all on her first lesson I began not to probe but make her feel more at ease bless her. She is married but her husband is a somewhat hermit. This confines her a lot at home to be with him but she wants freedom. I believe she wants someone to talk to as well as she is doing the lesson then going into town to shop. She commutes to the town for the lessons which is a good 30 min drive. I noticed she didn't talk much in the car, she said that she never has anyone in the car with her and she never has the radio on. So it's weird for her to talk in the car. It's sad and I hope I can make her feel at ease and more relaxed behind the wheel. She has had a licence for over 40 years and should enjoy driving.

#6 17-06-15 20:30:46

johnp
Verified Member

I really think you are handling it perfectly and you will both get a great deal of satisfaction from being together.
I take a lot of women who suddenly have to drive because husband becomes ill and they cannot get round the roundabout to park at the hospital.

We build their confidence, they begin to drive quite well and then husband insists they take over the driving again.
Then some time later comes the expected phone call, "Can you help me again as he has had to stop driving or has passed away?"

What you do for her will never be lost. There is much more to our work than teaching to drive.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 17-06-15 22:18:11

Jonesn253

johnp wrote:

I really think you are handling it perfectly and you will both get a great deal of satisfaction from being together.
I take a lot of women who suddenly have to drive because husband becomes ill and they cannot get round the roundabout to park at the hospital.

We build their confidence, they begin to drive quite well and then husband insists they take over the driving again.
Then some time later comes the expected phone call, "Can you help me again as he has had to stop driving or has passed away?"

What you do for her will never be lost. There is much more to our work than teaching to drive.

Thank you. I believe ADI's are there as friends for people. Like the barman in a local village pub. He is like the local social worker if you know what I mean. There to listen to a blokes day over his pint. Well it's the same for us. We listen to people as we drive along on the lesson. Sometimes we have to be rude and interrupt to give a command or get the pupil to do something. But you know what I mean. But today I did very very little fault picking if any. Just things like a left mirror check will help you In your lane changing at these dreaded new lights. But other than that I barley picked on anything although I could see tonnes of bad habits and faults. I just let her drive around to the shops she would go to etc. I find this pupil one of the most rewarding. It's actually nice to relax a bit from your so called norm pupil.

Board footer