You are not logged in.

#1 10-06-15 05:28:44

Roadmaster
Verified Member

There's a shortage of HGV drivers

Andrew Jones, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport, has reported that

The Road Haulage Association estimates a current shortage of HGV drivers at around 45,000 and I am aware the shortage has put operational and financial pressures onto the industry. I have met industry representatives and discussed the issue.

Work continues on improving the accessibility of HGV driving tests in those areas where there are significant waits, in the context of recent increases in demand and a pass rate of about 54%. Discussions are continuing with industry and involving other government departments to improve recruitment and reduce administrative delays, including in respect of the costs of training, training effectiveness to achieve test passes and the attractiveness of the profession.

Pass rate of 54%.  Not far away from the pass rate for cat B tests.   Shouldn't the pass rate for a test of experienced drivers be higher?

10-06-15 05:28:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: There's a shortage of HGV drivers

#2 10-06-15 06:21:48

Mentor
Verified Member

I wonder how much the driver CPC system has to do with the shortage of HGV drivers. I'm not surprised at the low pass rate for tests as driving an HGV is far removed from driving a cat B vehicle and most experience cat B drivers wouldn't pass a car test without further training.

#3 10-06-15 06:43:40

(ROG)
Verified Member

The situation is better than it was a few years ago but there is certainly no shortage

When companies advertise directly for full time perm LGV drivers and newbies are being plucked straight from passing the test THEN a shortage is likely

At the moment most LGV jobs advertised are still agency

With many of the better LGV schools now having their own visiting examiners the pass rates are going up - well into the 80%+

It seems the not quite so good schools are still using public test centres which is keeping the pass rates for those low

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#4 10-06-15 08:47:19

ratty

When the pay for doing the job goes up the interest in doing the job will go up!

I was working at a very large distributer the other week and they told me that they are struggling for quality drivers, but not for the quantity of drivers. Apparently there are now lots of eastern european drivers who's standard is, understandably, not what the company is looking for. When I asked what the pay was, I'm sure that I was told it was just about the 8 to £9 per hour mark.

It's noticeable now in the south that there are adverts at the side of roads for drivers. I haven't seen these for years.

#5 11-06-15 07:25:06

reddragonbus
Verified Member

There must be a shortage of HGV drivers one of Scotlands biggest LGV training companies just ceased trading!

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 11-06-15 08:01:22

(ROG)
Verified Member

reddragonbus wrote:

........... one of Scotlands biggest LGV training companies just ceased trading!

Which one ?

IAM Observer

#7 11-06-15 14:39:04

reddragonbus
Verified Member

LAGTA

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 12-06-15 08:40:18

(ROG)
Verified Member

reddragonbus wrote:

LAGTA

I can confirm that they will be ceasing LGV training at the end of this month

LAGTA LOTHIAN & EDINBURGH
Bilston Glen Business Centre | 6 Dryden Road | Bilston Glen | Loanhead |
Mid Lothian | EH20 9LZ
Tel: 0131 448 1047

IAM Observer

#9 16-06-15 01:40:29

Fulton

I am surprised there isn't a similar shortage of Bus/Coach drivers. PCV drivers are devalued with employers barely offering above minimum wage at times, HGV drivers get far more in general so it seems transporting about tins of beans etc have more importance as to carrying people  roll

#10 16-06-15 17:23:43

ratty

I suspect that for the hours they work driving, PCV drivers get paid more than HGV drivers. HGV drivers do 'other work', loading etc. PCV drivers only drive, but I may be wrong about this.

I hear that PSV drivers in London make about £25,000 although that possibly includes a London allowance?

Having worked as a driving assessor on buses I would not do the job for the money they get. Tins of beans do not swear, argue, vomit etc. Bus driving would be OK if you did not have to pick up passengers, especially on the school runs! wink

Last edited by ratty (16-06-15 17:24:38)

#11 16-06-15 23:37:30

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Good point ratty.
In Darwin our bus drivers have to contend with occasional physical attacks, we have a severe problem with anti-social behaviour by drunken "long-grassers".

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer