You are not logged in.

#1 07-06-15 09:14:42

Triplea35
Verified Member

Motivating a pupil to pass Theory.

I have a pupil who has now failed Theory twice, once on questions and once on HPT. She is test ready but I just do not believe she has applied herself sufficiently (like most!) to have a good chance of passing the Theory.

The second time she took it, last Monday, I had a spare test slot on the Friday, so when she failed I told her she could have done her test that same week. Nothing like rubbing salt in the wound!!

She has managed to get another Theory slot this Monday, and I have also  found a test slot on the Friday. On this occasion I  told her on Friday when I found/reserved the slot in the hope that it will motivate her to at least cram over the weekend.

Any views on this? Is it going too far, putting the pupil under too much pressure? etc

Last edited by Triplea35 (07-06-15 09:16:25)

07-06-15 09:14:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Motivating a pupil to pass Theory.

#2 07-06-15 09:35:34

Evan
Administrator

Not going too far and I understand your sentiments, but why do we have to work so hard just to get some of these pupils to motivate themselves for their benefit?
If she has such an apathetic approach to learning the theory, how much is she going to actually retain, I feel your pain because I have a few the same!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 07-06-15 12:26:14

johnp
Verified Member

How do you reserve a test slot?

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#4 07-06-15 13:14:25

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Sorry, but if they can't motivate themselves enough to,do the theory, then they don't want it enough.

I'm,sure as heck not going,to,worry about it if they don't.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 07-06-15 13:20:32

Triplea35
Verified Member

johnp wrote:

How do you reserve a test slot?

Just book it in a pupils name (and with their permission) who has passed Theory but not quite test ready. Under the new Booking Service it is quite easy to swop candidates details ie if the young lady passes Theory on Monday I will book a test, next suitable available slot (prob mid July) and then swap candidates details.

I find it works well with just two or three 'spare' tests in the system. Had a young man fail recently but had a spare for him to use just over two weeks later. Far better than him having to search for a cancellation that may effect my diary or him having to wait six weeks and therefore I feel just good customer service.

Any test that is not required then just change date further ahead and the now available test on the DVSA site is soon snapped up.

Last edited by Triplea35 (07-06-15 13:28:24)

#6 07-06-15 13:58:11

Triplea35
Verified Member

I agree Kaf and Evan, we shouldn't really need to go to these lengths.

I suppose their may be my own ulterior motives.
Lot of lesson spaces came up in last few weeks due to the exam season and to keep diary full have took on a lot of new pupils. Need space again shortly for the exams pupils returning so would be good to have this young lady off my books. Also if she fails again, or even passes and had to book a test 6/8 weeks ahead, knowing that she is test ready cancellations are far more likely in the interim.

#7 09-06-15 04:40:57

Triplea35
Verified Member

Well she passed 44/66 so the 'incentive' may have helped. So roll on Friday, if she passes would be the first pupil I've had to pass both Theory and Practical in same week, useful for marketing!

#8 09-06-15 06:08:26

Evan
Administrator

That's good news, let's hope she can keep the momentum going and create a space on your diary, God knows the time it is taking some to pick things up now, they will be booking lessons at 17 and trying their driving tests when they are 30.

#9 12-06-15 14:25:23

TDAScott
Website

good motivation I find is to stop giving lessons, they're wasting money by not learning anything new, maybe good for confidence boosting but if they have to pass theory then it's pointless.

on another note, surely you booking 2-3 'spare' tests just adds to the problem of pupils having to wait longer than necessary, if every instructor done this there would be hundreds of tests booked for no reason

#10 12-06-15 19:55:00

Triplea35
Verified Member

Well she passed 2 minors so well pleased. She did state that the prospect of test so soon after Theory did make her put a 'bit more effort' in over the weekend than perhaps she would have done otherwise.

I agree TDAScott that some pupils just wont make any effort with the Theory at all and I have also advised some to stop lessons until passed Theory but this case was different in that she had passed both parts of the Theory at different attempts, and was totally test ready, so just needed a little incentive to keep motivated.

In respect of the 2/3 spare tests I do not see how in anyway it increases the waiting lists or that they are wasted tests. The tests are either used by my pupils by swapping candidates details or on occasion are cancelled and put back in the pool and are soon snapped up. It leads to better diary management on my side and perhaps the ADI who doesn't take such steps will have to continue rearranging diary to fit in cancellations.

Last edited by Triplea35 (12-06-15 19:56:27)

Board footer