You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 07-06-15 08:50:54

johnp
Verified Member

Visual Acuity ??

I am at the age when I need my eyesight tested to maintain my licence categories.
I really don't understand the requirements and I am not sure many drivers do.

I always thought it was to do with reading a number plate in good light using both eyes together, but no it is also to do with clarity in a darkened room looking at a screen with one eye on the Snellen Chart. The medical forms want readings from separate eyes. Not together.

6 is normal so 6/6 is the norm. 6/7.5 is the minimum acceptable for D1. From what I can understand I don't need glasses for cars motorcycles or C1 where the requirements are 6/12. 

I can read a number plate at 40/50 metres, but on Snellen only 6/9 so do need glasses for D1
When corrected it is 6/5.

Clear as mud. !!

Can anyone further clarify the difference between bus and truck requirements??

They have given me 3 statement options. One is I only want C1.
I want C1 and D1 or I don't want either. 

The documents also say

" You may still be able to renew your lorry or bus licence if you can’t meet these standards but held your licence before 1 January 1997

Last edited by johnp (07-06-15 09:15:35)

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

07-06-15 08:50:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Visual Acuity ??

#2 07-06-15 14:59:30

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi John
Is this an age 70/70+ renewal of acquired rights categories?
I just had the standard lgv/pcv medical (last renewal medical Oct last year for a licence date early Jan this year,) medical branch is somewhat over loaded so don't be surprised if new licence doesn't arrive until well after renewal date.
I contacted them as mine hadn't arrived in time and was informed that I could carry on drivinga, as long as there were no significant changes, under section 84 of the road traffic act. I asked them to let me have that in writing which they did by email so I printed it out and carried that around until my licence finally arrived at the end of Feb.
I did inform my own, and my employers, insurance companies just in case the had any problems with me having an expired licence.

The DVSA eye test is really only a licence acquisition test, the vocational categories have always had a separate eye test as part of the medical.

#3 07-06-15 15:16:21

johnp
Verified Member

When I got to 70 they automatically wiped my licence of all but A and B.

I contacted them again and they asked for a medical report for my D1 and C1. (non commercial)

This now is my renewal at 73 where they seem to be tighter on the sight requirements.
I let my PCV go some years ago.

This is interesting
http://www.aop.org.uk/uploads/Practitio … s_2013.pdf

They have had my licence for over 3 months.
The phone message says don't contact them if under 2 months.
I asked them of their letter would cover me to hire a car abroad.
They did not know !!!!

Last edited by johnp (07-06-15 15:21:43)

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer