You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 27-05-15 14:32:03

TDAScott
Website

CCTV stickers?

Considering putting 'CCTV installed to this vehicle' sticker on the back of my car, currently only have front facing but will be fitting rear facing camera soon.

My 2 views from this - it may make some drivers slow down a bit around learners, not common but occasionally have drivers do stupid moves, if they know they are on CCTV then they may think twice.

Second view - if I am ever in an accident, and the other person gets aggressive about the cameras it could lead to a bad situation, do I really want to point them out?

I was considering a 'CCTV recording in progress for our safety' something along them lines, but don't want it to sound negative.

Does anybody here advertise the fact they have CCTV? Only 1 other school locally does it but it's more like an advert for his camera's manufacture.

Scott

27-05-15 14:32:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CCTV stickers?

#2 27-05-15 16:27:04

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Hi Scott,

I have two stickers in the back window, both saying "Smile, you're on CCTV".  It has made zero difference to people behind me; most don't notice because they are too busy reading texts on their mobiles.  wink  Realistically it may be because the back window is tinted so they are not that obvious.  As for people getting aggressive, I don't worry about it.  If it happens, then I'll worry.

#3 30-05-15 09:30:27

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I have Cameras and stickers front and rear, but also rear tinted windows, so hardly noticeable.
Doesn't make any difference tbh.

#4 02-06-15 23:14:19

Lynne
Verified Member

I have front and rear cameras and no stickers

#5 05-06-15 06:51:47

Angus
Verified Member
Website

I have front and rear cameras and no stickers, another driving instructor was telling me that it was illegal to have cameras without stickers the other day. I thought if that's the case surely they would be supplied in the box with the camera?

#6 05-06-15 07:37:37

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Health & Safety; Insurance; and Data Protection - the three areas where so much bull is 'known' by so many, who will tell you for definite that it's illegal, you must or you mustn't ..... cool

You can film in public, no problem.
If you film your pupils and keep the footage for some further use, I would imagine you'd have to inform them and maybe comply with some other Data rules.  It's film of an identifiable individual: 'personal data', which you're 'processing'.  But just filming outside the car on a 'temporary' basis shouldn't be any problem.

I'm not a legal expert but from what I know from some reading and different situations, there's actually quite a lot of 'common sense' involved in these areas.  And even if you get it a bit wrong somehow, there aren't instant fines handed out for data protection.  So, yes, I use a front camera sometimes, but no stickers.  I always think the stickers are only there as a hopeful deterrent, especially on public vehicles like buses.

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#7 05-06-15 10:04:25

MGM
Verified Member

I agree completely with Coasting Mart. It's perfectly legal to photograph or film anyone in a public place. No stickers required.

It's only in what you do with the images later that you're likely to encounter data protection issues. So if you keep video footage with identifiable individuals (e.g. pupils) you need to safeguard it, not keep it longer than necessary, and not disclose it to third parties, etc. Just as you do with your existing business records (Don't you?).

Also, if you use it for anything other than staff administration, advertising, marketing or public relations, or accounts or records then you probably need to register with the Info Commissioner. I'd guess that filming lessons and publishing them on the internet falls foul of that requirement.

#8 18-06-15 07:56:25

Angus
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for clearing that up for me. smile

Board footer