You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-05-15 15:53:09

TDAScott
Website

Worst car you've used?

Posted from my brothers account (Stu)

I've had my C3 for just under a year, covered nearly 40,000 miles and it's had a pretty hard life. I started looking to change it last week, considering Astra's, 1 series and Civic's. Stopped searching on Monday to have a good think, as the C3 was working fine (recent new clutch, drop links and engine mount). Tuesday a test got abandoned due to a faulty indicator, although it was fine when we left the test centre which pushed me into thinking more.

I started to think, even though it's needed a fair chunk of work it had lasted well at the abuse it had been given (for what is a grandmothers shopping car) but it was starting to get noisy and clunky. Alas this morning when I thought I could wait until the end of the month it started to overheat, smoke out the rear and died, the head-gasket failing rather badly.

I've popped out and picked up a 1.7 cdti Astra (lovely car with bluetooth and sat-nav) which I pick up on Tuesday, it just got me thinking -

What is the worst car you have had, and why?

For me it would be my previous megane, which went when an airbag light kept flashing up and nobody could fix the fault, just lots of electrical gremlins

22-05-15 15:53:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Worst car you've used?

#2 22-05-15 17:03:05

Mentor
Verified Member

Mazda 2 1.4 diesel which would lose power without warning and had to be stopped and restarted to regain normal power. Also had a stiff gear linkage which I fixed myself, cooling fan failed twice, faulty injector, leaking injector, drivers seat broke off the mountings, had to weld it, shock absorber failed so replaced, also replaced one of the calipers as you can't get spare seals, ate front discs every 20k. Paintwork covered in scratches, starting to rust underneath at 3 years. I could go on... a terrible car.
In contrast, now on second current shape fiesta 1.5 diesel and no faults, touch wood.

#3 22-05-15 17:12:14

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Drop links and engine mount after 40,000?

I wouldn't be buying another!

Just like I didnt buy another Corsa after the heap of dung I had in 2007,

Car off road = no pay.   Hence I'm on my second Jazz 6.5  years of trouble free teaching.

#4 22-05-15 18:18:33

MGM
Verified Member

I had 13 brand new company cars over the years, and since then I have owned three new and three second-hand cars. I've also bought six or seven "second" cars for 'er indoors.

The worst, and indeed the only really bad one, was a Rover 820. Almost anything that could have failed did, some several times. A perfect illustration of why BMC/BL/Leyland /Rover is no longer around.

#5 22-05-15 18:28:26

Triplea35
Verified Member

Got a C3 130K clutch at 93k other than that no great problems other than a main dealer service issue. 36k on previous C3 which leased. Looking to get another shortly.

Also got a 2010 Mazda2 petrol, 87k, no probs and looks like new!

Mate is running a 2010 Corsa on 150k and another local instructor is running a 52 plate Corsa on 300K + last time I asked.

Each to their own! There will always be good/bad reports on any car.

#6 22-05-15 19:25:51

TDAScott
Website

total mileage is around 80k, my dad uses another C3 doesn't do as many miles but no major issues, where our astra has been pretty trouble free.

I'd expect better from the mazda although my old mazda 6 went after just 3 months!

300k on a 52 corsa is pretty strong, never ran a car over 150k, fiesta's 2002-2008 were great

#7 23-05-15 06:43:04

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

My C3 1.4 diesel is on 120k, new clutch at 110, just replaced all the usual things and have had no problems.
Only slight fault was a dodgy sensor telling me I had a brake light fault.

Next big milestone is at 150k with the timing belt change. Will reassess at that point.

In 3 1/2 years only had 1 day of lost earnings.

Worst car was as a poor university graduate - my F reg ford orion was a truly awful car!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 23-05-15 07:55:33

Triplea35
Verified Member

christhedrummer wrote:

Next big milestone is at 150k with the timing belt change. Will reassess at that point.

Slightly off topic but aren't you pushing your luck a bit with 150k?

The replacement intervals in service schedule are: in normal conditions 137 to 140k and arduous conditions 110 to 112k.

Would we be classed as arduous due to all the stop/starting?

Anyway I thought I  would 'split the difference' and changed mine at 125k. Wasn't expensive, but I don't use main dealer anymore.

Last edited by Triplea35 (23-05-15 07:57:06)

#9 26-05-15 12:43:48

TDAScott
Website

isn't the 1.4 tdci from the pug / fiesta? if so pretty sure the cambelt interval was 100k?

not bad having 1 days in 3.5 years!

Sat here waiting for the call to go and collect the new car, waiting for a form to tax it sad

#10 27-05-15 14:30:54

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Double checked with my Citroen garage - 150k for timing belt.

Board footer