You are not logged in.

#1 07-05-15 20:26:09

Monipop84

Bad driving lessons and confidence problems

Hello fellow learners! I am a mature student (31 female). I was raised on a pretty remote island and no one in my family drives. After living for a few years in London, I moved to the countryside and learning to drive has become an imperative necessity for me.

I passed the theory test first time, but then I have always been good at theoretical tests...  neutral   The practice, though, is taking absolutely ages. I have now had lessons for a year and a half with an instructor plus private practice in my partner's car (I mostly drive back from work and to the shops in his car, so it's always the same route, but the rush hour traffic does miracles for clutch control!). I am also practicing manouvres on my own and I would say I can do most of them fairly decently.

The issue is, my instructor is very negative about my progress. I still have problems at very big roundabouts and keeping in the right lane at big roundabouts, which I'm working on.

Last week, though, I had the worst lesson ever. My instructor has just come back from an assessment test and she's started picking up on things she never used to before. Now she wants to bring me back to do junctions because she thinks my mirror-signal-manouvre is not good enough (it never seemed to be a problem before, or at least she didn't comment on it).

I am starting to feel like I should give up and my confidence is quite shattered. I was feeling great last month as for the first time I drove in my partner's car to see a relative who lives 2 hours away, and I did lots of roundabouts, dual carriageways, overtaking etc, on major roads, all on my own. cool  But now my instructor wants me to go back to junctions in the local village. After 2 years. sad

The cost is becoming a burden too. I am fairly friendly with the instructor and I'd love to think she's not taking me for a ride (no pun intended), but I don't have a huge experience with instructors and, although I know there are a lot of bad ones out there, I don't think she's inherently bad. But I wonder why she never gives me a timeline of when I can aim to book my test.

I am quite stubborn and I so want to pass, but at the same time it all feels quite hopeless now  sad

Last edited by Monipop84 (07-05-15 20:30:32)

07-05-15 20:26:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Bad driving lessons and confidence problems

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-05-15 20:36:10

kaf
Verified Member
Website

It's very difficult to make any real comment without seeing your driving.

It may be that your instructor has been criticised for the standard she asks for In terms of junction work, so has realised that whilst she has been ok with what you have been doing, she has set the bar too low and needs to ask more of her students.

The question you have to ask,yourself is "do I have confidence that my instructor is doing the right things for me?"

If the answer is no, then it is time to get a second opinion from another instructor.

If you decide to go that way, feel free to pit the area in which you live on here and someone might be able to make a recommendation.

#3 07-05-15 21:38:49

Monipop84

Thanks Kaf, I will see how it goes in the next few weeks and then make a decision... I want to pass so badly.

#4 07-05-15 23:30:43

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Try to relax, you will pass your test, it's just a question of when,

If you want it too badly, you will be putting pressure on yourself that will be counter-productive.

Best wishes and keep believing in yourself.

#5 17-05-15 23:11:10

la.monikita
Verified Member

Have you done any assessments or mini mock tests with your instructor? Sometimes it does take longer to learn, but you need to know if things go wrong why they did and how to put them right.

On my webpage, you will find a vid showing you what it means to be test standard. http://www.1stlondondrivingacademy.com/test.php

It would be also good of you to ask your instructor to explain why your MSM is not good enough. Point by point etc.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 19-05-15 08:15:17

Evan
Administrator

Would you feel confident to drive the car on your own right now?
Be honest with yourself, if you wouldn't then make a list of areas that you feel weak on, are they the same areas that your instructor is highlighting?

If you feel confident in your ability, ask your instructor to make a route for you encompassing roundabouts etc and ask her not to give any instruction unless really necessary.
By doing this you have a means firstly of showing her what you can do unaided, secondly it will highlight any shortfalls in your drive.

Board footer