You are not logged in.

#1 16-05-15 21:31:41

lenzcrafter
Website

How do you...

Get your pupils to change down through the gears properly without killing the gear box and clutch at the same time?

Any suggestions.

16-05-15 21:31:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How do you...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-05-15 12:16:41

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Brake to the correct speed for the new gear.

I get them to count 1000 2000 as they bring the clutch back up, emphasising SMOOTHLY!!

AS they progress I have lessons where I cover the speedo up so they have to ' feel' the correct speed.

Just practise, practise, practise

#3 17-05-15 12:52:33

MGM
Verified Member

Being pedantic, I'd suggest we shouldn't be braking to the correct speed for the gear, but to the right speed for the conditions, and then selecting the appropriate gear for the speed.

#4 17-05-15 19:16:39

lenzcrafter
Website

Ok

I find getting pupils to do this properly is nigh on impossible!

Please tell me I'm not alone with this!?

Many thanks

Matt

#5 17-05-15 22:04:09

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Maybe I could have worded it slightly better but you know what I mean...

And no Matt, you're not alone!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 17-05-15 22:23:23

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

MGM wrote:

Being pedantic, I'd suggest we shouldn't be braking to the correct speed for the gear, but to the right speed for the conditions, and then selecting the appropriate gear for the speed.

I agree, choose speed to suit the situation & conditions, then choose gear to suit speed, loading etc.

I don't like driving by numbers like a mechanical robot i.e. always changing up at certain revs, and using each gear in sequence "just because they're there" - but this style is advocated by most of the parents of my learners and my greatest teaching problem is changing this.

In the early stages I select easy corners where we don't usually have to give way and talk them through the steps as they do it, sometimes mimicking the feet action with my hands up in front of me.
Then I ask them to try it without my help if they seem to be picking it up.
The time taken to pick this up varies a lot between different learners, you just need patience and keep working at it.

I use my dual clutch to soften a gear change if necessary by holding my foot just above the pedal to catch it if they dump it, but it's very important to tell them when I do it.
I also get them to "count the clutch up" like Chris does, although I use a quick count of "1 2 3".

I insist they "palm" the gear lever and not try fast gear changes as apart from occasionally selecting an unwanted gear, the fast hand movement results in fast foot movement.
Occasionally I might mimic the actual gear lever movement through the pattern with my right hand while they're changing so that they can see the speed of as well as the direction of the hand movement.

When they settle down we move on to the stage where we experiment with gear/rev/loading combinations so that they understand the importance of responding to the car's behaviour, and how to select different gear if the engine seems to labour or over-rev.

Last edited by Zipper (17-05-15 22:26:53)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 18-05-15 19:13:37

Evan
Administrator

If you watch your pupils feet carefully, you will notice many when they are going through the slow down change down procedure, will use the same method as they do with the gas pedal when speeding up changing up.
By that I mean coming off of the brake the same way they come off of the gas pedal before putting the clutch down, hence the pick up in speed.
Indeed I would say mastering control of the steering and the brake are two of the two biggest hurdles pupils have to overcome.

#8 19-05-15 21:01:52

Joe24
Verified Member

Demonstrate it. Show them how you do it.

Board footer