You are not logged in.

#1 11-05-15 16:48:37

richie1966
Verified Member

Route tracking device

I am looking for device (not mobile phone app or iPad) that will record routes taken on driving tests. I do not want to leave my phone or iPad in the car during a test. Is there anything out there which will record route used by my pupils so I can review the test route later? Thank You

11-05-15 16:48:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Route tracking device

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-05-15 17:20:50

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Maplins sell one  http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gps-travel-ph … cker-a41jf

I just bought a cheap phone and use Mytracks to track all my tests

#3 11-05-15 20:06:39

Mentor
Verified Member

I have been using a Garmin etrex basic version for years. You can pick them up on a popular online auction site for about £30 now.  I have it plugged in to a power point fitted in the boot and use the garmin 5v power lead to run it, saving on batteries. I obtained the mapsource software to download it to my computer through a serial to usb adaptor I also acquired from the auction site. I have every test route recorded from the last 10 years showing street by street where the car went and the speed at any given time.
Technology has moved on though and it is simpler to do as Roadmaster suggests and use a cheap android phone these days.

#4 11-05-15 22:25:03

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I know you said you don't want a mobile app but surely a cheap mobile would be more use. I wrote an Android app which tracks the tests and I can view progress of the test while waiting in the test centre as well as keeping a log. It can also warn me when the car is returning so I can go out to meet it for any potential debrief.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#5 13-05-15 16:27:37

AUTAX
Verified Member

Sounds good. Are you marketing it and if so,  for what platform?

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#6 14-05-15 07:52:11

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I wrote the app for my own use but have considered putting it on the Android Play Store when I get time to do more work on it.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#7 14-05-15 20:00:05

MGM
Verified Member

I admire the enginuity, but why do you need to know?

Last edited by MGM (14-05-15 20:00:26)

#8 14-05-15 20:31:46

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Why not?

Last edited by Roadmaster (14-05-15 20:32:16)

#9 15-05-15 09:00:46

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Cos knowledge is power!  cool

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

Board footer