You are not logged in.

#1 30-04-15 09:40:52

Triplea35
Verified Member

Losing Pupils due to Theory.

Browsing my diaries/pupil records I have lost over 20 pupils in recent years, most of whom had been doing quite well and needed to get on with the Theory. Despite offering help most just seemed to just pack in without taking it or having failed once or twice.

Idle hands this morning for an hour so have just started the booking process for theory test for all those that I had sufficient details. Everyone I would have been able to book a test! So not one appears to have continued. Whether I have put them of driving for life is one possibility lol   but I tend to think its just that they would not apply any serious effort into passing the theory.

30-04-15 09:40:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Losing Pupils due to Theory.

#2 30-04-15 14:32:04

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Very interesting because I have lost a few recently because of a lack of application in respect of the theory test.
Lazy and idle gits roll
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 30-04-15 17:58:15

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Is it that they haven't studied, or is it because they just can't be a**ed to do all that applying thing?
If you had booked them in they would probably have done the tset OK but they can't do anything like making a decision for themselves.

#4 01-05-15 07:04:16

Evan
Administrator

Maybe if stupid parents did less for their little prince and princesses, they would be more adept at applying themselves to the demands of life and responsibility!
I have seen a change in the attitude, ability and maturity of 17 year olds over the last couple of years, everything has to be done for some of them or they just give up.
What a weak, unmotivated, immature, irresponsible attitude to have, this condition prevales because excuses are made for their laziness!
Comment from one of my female pupils to her friend recently, regarding the theory pass mark: "if you get one mark more than a pass, it's a waste as you could have spent the time doing something else".

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 01-05-15 17:17:29

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I'm with Evan!

#6 01-05-15 18:03:15

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

#7 01-05-15 20:37:55

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

I know it's probably getting crowded but I'm with Evan too  smile

#8 02-05-15 05:01:03

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I remember picking up a strapping young lad (not working or going to school) for his first lesson.
After the lesson I told him my midday & afternoon slots were heavily booked, did he mind if his next lesson was at 8:00am on a week day?
He didn’t mind at all so the following week I parked in front of his house – but he didn’t appear.
I rang the house number and got a severe verbal thrashing from Mum who said how dare I book him at such an early hour, he was still asleep!
The sun had been up over an hour and most of Darwin's worthy citizens were either at work or commuting, but mummy's boy wasn't among them.
That was 20 years ago, I wonder if he’s managed to get a job yet, or is he still tied to Mum's apron strings?

Most if not all Australian states require a theory test to be passed before public road driving so we don't have that problem - but I still get a lot of youngsters who don't show self-motivation or ambition.
Luckily these are the minority.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 02-05-15 06:07:15

Evan
Administrator

Zipper twenty years ago he may have been in the minority, but not anymore. People may laugh and joke about young people who don't want to get up in the morning, are forgetful, let people down, have a lack of motivation.
Society needs to wake them up, shake them up and kick their ar**, because these worthless layabouts cost all of us money!

#10 02-05-15 06:28:19

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Long thought we,should demand a theory test pass BEFORE issuing a licence!

#11 02-05-15 07:46:30

Evan
Administrator

Kaf I totally agree with your suggestion, I would also like talks and films regarding RTA's from the emergency services!

#12 02-05-15 07:56:04

johnp
Verified Member

We are the grumpy old codgers on here but I think we are right. smile

The balance between that horrible phrase "How do you feel?" and "Get on with it" seems too far apart.

I refuse to  teach the practical if they are not doing the theory and tell them "No more practical lessons until you have done your theory"

It does work for most. Just had one come back after a year.

I have every sympathy for those who struggle with it and I will give them a great deal of help, BUT they have to pull their own weight.

Personally I have given up with the DVSA. They refuse to budge regarding methods of access so if the candidate will not/
cannot do it/ there is absolutely no point in teaching them the practical.

Last edited by johnp (02-05-15 07:58:22)

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#13 02-05-15 08:03:22

Evan
Administrator

I have stopped two having lessons due to the inability to pass the theory, one has come back after a two month break and has her test booked now.
I feel some, though not all of the problem, lies in the fact that a lot of pupils just do mock tests, and don't read the Highway Code at all, thereby not digesting the core knowledge needed for the practical situation.
I was so insensed by it, after Q and A on a number of my pupils who had passed their theory, that I actually spent over £30 on Highway Code books and gave them out to pupils. Limited result, they are taught in school to memorise answers not research and understand questions.

#14 02-05-15 10:55:35

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Which, Evan, is why when the get to university and have to self research, so many struggle and drop out.

Much of year 1 at uni is spent teaching them how to study!

#15 10-05-15 08:55:50

Triplea35
Verified Member

Here's an example which confirms some of the above views.

Young lady, almost test ready, in fact actually passed a mock, but slow to get on with Theory. After much encouragement has it booked for about a month ago. Despite me advising her of it's necessity ( and it says on the booking) she turns up for it without the counterpart of her driving licence so that doesn't go ahead.
Rebooked for last week but still little evidence of putting much work in particularly the HPT, ask her how she's getting on and offer some advice but response: 'Oh they are easy'
So she attends last week (at least she remembered the counterpart) passes the Theory with 43 out of 50 but fails the HPT miserably! Mortified she failed on the HPT but doesn't seem to appreciate she scraped the Theory part by the skin of her teeth.
So rebooked for later this month. What's the betting she passes the HPT and fails the Theory?!

Sorry for the rant! Actually now I think of it she's by no means the worst offender, at least she is making some effort,no matter how little. to take it now, unlike some have/had on my books.

Last edited by Triplea35 (10-05-15 08:58:28)

Board footer