You are not logged in.

#1 10-04-15 06:56:02

Triplea35
Verified Member

Cancellations

I have had to say goodbye to two pupils this week for repeated cancellations, some with short notice less than 24 hours, but others outside the minimum time requirement but so frequent they still cause disruption to my diary management.  It's about the only thing that really winds me up about this job. Its not even the money, its just a feeling of showing lack of respect towards me. I don't usually charge for short notice cancellations but just give a series of  increasingly stronger warnings.

So this week I've had two cancellations from two young ladies, one who is near test ready but has cancelled so often with every excuse under the sun that whether true or not I've just had enough. The other young lady is similar but usual excuse is she has been asked to work an extra shift etc but has become more frequent since she failed her theory and appears to have lost motivation. So why should I book her in next week and yet again get a cancellation  even if it is 24/48 hrs before.

I get this reply last night from the 2nd : 'I know, I'm sorry and I had a feeling you were going to say that, and I don't blame you, but there is nothing I can do with work. But if that is the best thing for you that is ok, apologies and I wish you all the best for the future and thank you for everything'

So now I feel I'm the one in the wrong! Am I being too soft/harsh. Does anyone else finish pupils who constantly cancel even if with required notice?

10-04-15 06:56:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cancellations

#2 10-04-15 07:06:36

reddragonbus
Verified Member

To be fair, they are getting shafted by zero hours contracts and demanding employers who expect them to drop everything and go in.

But that is not your problem.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#3 10-04-15 09:33:51

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I have several on stupid work hours who can get called in at an hour's notice.  I just accomodate them when I can.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 10-04-15 10:52:40

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi aaa, I used to finish them when there was plenty of work but competition down here has increased tremendously just recently, with a lot of "blow ins" from interstate who are excited about our subsidised training program and outsourcing of driver testing to instructor, they arrive here with dollar signs in their eyes but few skills.

The employment rate here is quite high, most of my youngsters have after school/weekend jobs and are at the mercy of their bosses, and more & more of my adult students are on casual employment instead of full-time salary or wages.
I have a lot of clients on stupid work hours and they're at the mercy of their cynical bosses, so like Roadmaster I just accommodate them when I can.
I just have to roll along with it and fit them in as best as I can.
Reddragonbus is right in saying that it's "not your problem" but I tend to have a somewhat personal relationship with my clients, and I think it is OK to make some of it become our problem - I see it as part of the particular job that we do.

If anyone asks me what stresses me most about the job, I always answer: "managing my diary!" and I'm not exaggerating (it's not the answer they expect of course).
My last set incoming text message last night finished about 10:45pm, I wasn't impressed but if I don't answer I lose them.

It's a problem with no easy answer!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 10-04-15 21:22:49

Mentor
Verified Member

I work with 3 strikes and you are out. Sacked 1 off last week and have 2 on final warning. One of these cancelled yesterday saying she had been up all night being sick. In truth she took her kids to the seaside as it was such a nice day. I turn away on average 3 new enquiries a week which is a shame when perhaps they would be better clients than some that I have on the books. In this job you cannot afford to carry unreliable pupils, they are literally taking money out of your pocket and are better elsewhere.

#6 11-04-15 07:41:01

Triplea35
Verified Member

It just gets worse! So after the two young ladies who became history earlier in the week, a new starter booked in for this morning for 9am. So I text to remind at 8am as we made the appointment a couple of weeks ago. Immediate reply: 'can we make it another day I've just been called into work'
Yeah right! never mind three strikes and your out, gone before they start! Really can't be done with this! Definitely going to move towards lessons paid for in advance!

#7 13-04-15 19:26:56

Lynne
Verified Member

Re your No 2 Triplea35 I'd probably feel the same...for a few minutes!   At the end of the day we have a business to run and our own bills to pay and it's not our problem if they're called into work.  I also take about 3 strikes.  It' ok when you are busy you can afford to be hard when you have people waiting to start.  It's difficult when  you have gaps and you need them more than they need you!

#8 13-04-15 20:55:04

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I keep hearing ADIs moan about cancelations but I don't seem to suffer as much as many seem to. I am not saying I don't get them and when I do they are usually from the younger ones so is it related to age? Most of my pupils tend to be in their late 20s and above and I don't seem to get the younger market, also I teach a lot of Chinese and Pilipino who I have found to be the most reliable and least troublesome when comes to time keeping and payment; in fact they usually pay as soon as they get into the car.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

Board footer