You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 18-03-15 09:51:12

Angus
Verified Member
Website

Driving examiner with completely different opinion to others

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar and what to do if anything?

I have had close to 200 tests pass now and I have never really had a problem with anything the driving examiners have said, normally when people fail they completely understand what they have done and agree with the examiner.

I had a driving test two weeks ago and it was a part time test centre which the examiners seem to change regularly, I have had lots of tests in this area and feel I know the area very well now. My candidate went out with an examiner I haven't met before. I was extremely confident but as you know anything can happen so we will wait and see. When they arrived back the candidate had failed but been repeatedly marked down in the gears section. I wasn't on the test so i'm sure the examiner will give the details as to what has happened. The explanation was that the candidate had used 2nd gear in the 20 mph housing estates and the examiner feels 3rd gear could have been used.

My car in 3rd gear without touching the accelerator sits bang on 20mph, and these housing estates are full of parked cars and meeting places so you will probably be doing around 10 - 15 mph for most of the area. This has never been a problem with any other examiner in all the tests that have been carried out in this area.

I was a bit taken aback and didn't really say anything to the examiner but now i'm dreading getting them again possibly!

Would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts thanks.

18-03-15 09:51:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving examiner with completely different opinion to others

#2 18-03-15 13:39:28

Roadmaster
Verified Member

The examiner is correct, as you have confirmed, that 3rd gear should have been used if doing 20 mph.   You have only assumed that your pupil was only doing 10-15mph, and unfortunately as you weren't there you can't argue the toss.   If you get the same examiner again you should consider sitting in, so at least you can see if they assess any differently to the others.

#3 18-03-15 18:58:50

daz6215
Verified Member

More eco sh*te over flexibility and safety imo!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 18-03-15 19:36:18

Angus
Verified Member
Website

daz6215 wrote:

More eco sh*te over flexibility and safety imo!

I would say so my car would only be at about 1,500 rpm at the highest point in 2nd gear. Surely not something worth failing someone for! The car wouldnt be close to blowing up, and it wouldn't affect anyone else on the road. I know I wasn't there as Roadmaster says, I wouldn't argue as I don't see the outcome ever changing. Just a horrible outcome. sad

#5 18-03-15 20:34:51

Roadmaster
Verified Member

If you get cameras you would be able to review the test.

#6 18-03-15 20:39:53

Joe24
Verified Member

Vary's from car to car. In my Porsche I might be in 5th in a 20 zone....... (I don't own a Porsche yikes )
In my Corsa I'm generally using 2nd gear.

The examiner might use 3rd in his/her car. That doesn't mean that 3rd is always going to be used in your car or in you wife's car or in you neighbour's car

True you wasn't there but based on the examiners explanation I would have kicked off........ I've never had an issue with 2nd gear in 20mph zones in my 1.3cdti Corsa. (in 13 years)

Have a chat with your SE. (TC manager) Ask what there opinion is. I bet he/she will say the same as me.

#7 18-03-15 21:22:28

Mentor
Verified Member

I agree with Joe24. The examiner should not care what gear the car is in as long as safe progress is being made and the engine is not screaming for mercy. Many 20mph zones require my car to be in second gear especially if there are speed bumps. My car never gets out of 3rd gear in the 30mph zones either. Never ever had a problem on test with being in the wrong gear faults. I would be having a word with the SE if it happens again.

#8 18-03-15 21:29:23

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Disagree with Roadmaster, agree with everyone else.
20 in 2nd no problem. 3rd in my car would continually surge at 18/19/20 so always 2nd.
Examiner needs a word!

#9 18-03-15 22:19:11

Angus
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for all your feedback, I will speak to the SE  just wanted to check.

#10 19-03-15 08:52:09

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

20 is the bottom end of 3rd gear in my car.  If doing any 'ducking & diving' with parked cars or humps then 2nd would be better.
Unless it's a long straight 20 road with no humps, maybe 3rd might be ok, but otherwise 2nd.  I'm very surprised to hear of a fail for this as gears are 'flexible and overlap'. Can do 40 in 2nd if you want to make progress!
You have to be seriously in the wrong gear to warrant a fail surly.

As an aside, in one of my local test centres, one old-hand examiner has a bad back and is insisting to ADIs that they get their pupils to slow right down and do speed humps in 1st.  Been authorised by area manager (whatever they're called now) to fail people for going 'too fast' ie. 2nd over humps.  Slightly odd situation!  roll

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#11 19-03-15 10:02:56

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Another grey area fail, as discussed in another section of the forum!

#12 19-03-15 15:07:41

Joe24
Verified Member

Not a grey area at the TC's I use.

#13 20-03-15 06:51:48

(ROG)
Verified Member

Examiner is a twonk

The greater majority of 5 speed gearboxes are designed to cruise at
1st = 10
2nd = 20
3rd = 30
etc

With each gear designed to reach the cruising speed of the next gear before a change is needed

This can be confirmed if a rev counter is visible

It also makes the most efficient use of each gear

Doing 20 in 3rd will reduce the use of accelerator flexibility and increase un-necessary use of the brakes

This is where the dopey SAFED way of thinking takes preference over general safe driving - I know because I went on a SAFED course and ended up compromising to please the SAFED instructor !

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#14 20-03-15 07:24:35

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I would not drive around Currie in a gear higher than 2nd myself, the speed bumps are massive and the roads are narrow, hilly and lots of parked cars.

20mph is too fast to drive in that area.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#15 22-03-15 21:57:12

richie1966
Verified Member

Interesting...I had the same comment, for the first time, last week. DE told my pupil she should have used 3rd gear in a 20 mph zone and not stayed in 2nd gear. I was not in the car for the test but this was stated by DE at de-brief. I recommend 2nd gear in a 20 zone as it helps to keep the speed at or below 20. Never been mentioned to any of my pupils before.......is this something new DE are looking at??

#16 23-03-15 06:50:18

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Eco driiving?   

My car runs very nicely in 3rd at 20mph, which is also what the op posted his car does.

#17 24-03-15 19:36:04

MartinC
Verified Member

I drive a Fiesta. The handbook states:
"We recommend you change gear
according to the following guide to achieve
the best fuel economy for your vehicle.
Recommended
speed
Shift from
1 - 2 12 mph (19 km/h)