You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-03-15 22:37:51

Laurence Jacquemin ADI
Verified Member
Website

Clutch Going???

My clutch started to overheat, with the horrible clutch smell, the other day when pupil had clutch a bit too high for 5/6 seconds when doing hill start. Also does the same sort of thing if you strain the clutch to any degree, such as moving off in 2nd.

Does this mean my clutch is going?

If not, then how do I know when clutch is about to go? Very high biting point?

Car has done 78k miles and not had clutch replaced before.

11-03-15 22:37:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Clutch Going???

#2 12-03-15 05:13:57

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Clutch oil is very light and burns(and stinks) very easily if too much gas is applied with too much pressure on clutch.
if your clutch is going you will feel as if you are 'riding' the clutch when accelerating, especially if you change gear at low speed and accelerate hard.
Sometimes there is no warning at all,it just goes.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 12-03-15 11:34:21

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Peter describes it well.
And yes a higher biting point is often a sign that the clutch has suffered a lot of wear, if not totally done for.
If the biting point isn't "very high" you probably have a bit of use left in it.

In the late 60's I put my Corolla into a panel repair shop and was given an aging Holden six cylinder as a courtesy car.
It was a "three on the tree" column-shift manual transmission and the clutch slip was very bad, it must have suffered a lot of abuse.
After a while I realised that the more I revved it, the more the clutch slipped; when I backed the revs off it started to "bite" again.
I found I could take off in second gear by revving and lifting the clutch fully up; as the car moved forward I backed off the power and it would continue accelerating.
When changing into top I had to be careful not to over-rev else I would lose acceleration again.

To me it felt a like driving an automatic and I had no trouble in the small-town traffic that we had in those days.
Getting off the Kingston-On-Murray car ferry was another matter - it carried 8 cars in two rows of four, getting off the ferry involved climbing a high steep ramp onto the exit road, the first time I came to an embarrassing stop half way up and had to reverse down onto the ferry and take a faster run-up.
Luckily the nice ferry operators were known to me, they helped me to manoeuvre into position by getting everyone else off the ferry first so I could get into position for my famous "run up the ramp", luckily I only had the car a few days.

The operators (friends of my dad who once did part time ferry duty) were very accommodating.
My 1st car was on old Morris Minor side-valve prone to overheating in South Australian heat, as it didn't have a water pump.
One time I stopped half way up the ramp, the combination of a boiling radiator and a popped cap sprayed water over the exposed plugs, dampening the spark.
I coasted back down onto the ferry and wondered what do do (only 17 years old you see) but the ferry operator's Aussie ingenuity came into play, because Ashton's Circus was due in town.
After the engine dried the operator tore down the big Ashton's Circus poster off the ferry's billboard and I helped him tie it around the engine thus spray-proofing it allowing me to get up the ramp and eventually reach home.

Sorry about going off-topic.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 18-03-15 19:30:49

Lynne
Verified Member

When the clutch went on my last car it started slipping, as described by Peter.  I noticed it when pupils driving I kept telling them off for not getting off the clutch before accelerating.  Car revs go up then drops.  I said sorry to them all once I knew.  They also all knew what a slipping clutch was after that too!

#5 19-03-15 18:23:50

johnp
Verified Member

Hi Zipper.

I had a similar situation trying to get off a ferry in Dover at low tide with a very sick coach.
Had to stop at the bottom and rev up before selecting gear (pre selector)
The black dense smoke filled the ferrry- but we made it.

We coped by our ingenuity. Not now allowed.    wink

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer