You are not logged in.

#1 05-03-15 07:24:43

TheGoose

Universal dual controls

Does anyone know of a company that will swap my universal dual controls from one car to another. I've tried a few people now but they either don't cover my postcode or only deal with He-man controls. Really struggling at the minute to find anyone. I'm in Carlisle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

05-03-15 07:24:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Universal dual controls

#2 05-03-15 14:40:21

Joe24
Verified Member

Why don't you try a local mechanic? Easier if they have the instructions for fitting which you may have, may be able to find on the internet or get from the manufacturer? Easy enough if they've fit some before but a bit fiddly if you've never fit them. Hence why a quick look at the instructions is always going to be useful.

Taking them out is 10 minutes of  a job if you have the right tools. Putting them in is obviously going to take longer. Still a mechanic with the correct tools and the offer of £25 per hour would probably do the job. 3 hours max and they are in.

I paid my dad (ex mechanic) £60. It was going to cost £200 for somebody to come out and fit them.

#3 05-03-15 17:39:47

TheGoose

Instructions have long vanished I'm afraid. I just don't feel entirely happy with someone installing them who hasn't done it before and is just giving it a bash. Was hoping some of the full time installers would take on the job but I've been told it's a 6 hour job and was very awkward. They would say that though.

#4 06-03-15 11:23:22

Joe24
Verified Member

It's not a 6 hour job and its not rocket science. It's just the average person doesn't have the correct tools whereas your local mechanic does and probably uses them every day. The instructions tell you where to cut the carpet, where to fix the floor plate and how to connect the cables etc etc. I wouldn't be confident doing it myself because I'd struggle. DIY never been my strong point yikes

If you get in touch with the manufacturer they may be able to send you instructions or you may be able to locate them on the internet.

Anyway just an idea.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 06-03-15 19:55:53

johnp
Verified Member

You don't need instructions.
It is obvious.

I have fitted a number as they are connected to a plate.
so it is easy especially if you have a ramp and so don't have to crawl under.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 07-03-15 21:07:59

TheGoose

johnp wrote:

You don't need instructions.
It is obvious.

Thanks for the advice. I should just tell my learners that too

#7 07-03-15 22:25:34

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I often do.
If we all keep explaining everything to the poor wee bairns then the simple can become complicated.
Mind I wouldnt know where to start on mechanics!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#8 09-03-15 13:39:32

TDAScott
Website

Remember they are a key safety device and for the sake of a few quid its worth being clean as a whistle, in-case you ever have to use them or there is ever an accident.

Any mechanic can fit them but there are a few dual control fitting guys who do travel and are very reasonable

Board footer