You are not logged in.

#1 26-02-15 16:30:17

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Wrong timing

I'm seeing an increasing number of people turning up for test and being turned away because they have the wrong time/day and even month.   In the TC today one candidate turned up two hours early, causing his instructor problems with having to cancel some lessons.  Last week a candidate turned up at the TC a month early.   
It's not very professional when the ADI doesn't know when they are supposed to be taking their pupils for test.

I book all my tests so I get the confirmation email, which I then forward to the pupil, so we both know the correct time and date,  but if the pupil books their own why does the ADI not bother to ask for a copy of the email?

26-02-15 16:30:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Wrong timing

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-02-15 16:38:40

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Here we have two local test centres, the main one and a smaller one and it happens very regularly because the pupil books the wrong one and no way to get to the other centre on time. Recently it happened and the first time the instructor checked the pupils appointment letter was when they realized they were the odd ones out.

I also book most of the tests myself but if they do it themselves I get them to send me the reference number so I can double check, so easy to check and avoid so much hassle.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#3 26-02-15 18:25:47

Evan
Administrator

I either book or get them to book, but if they book I make sure they show me the email on their phone, then book it onto the diary whilst they sit with me, it also enables me to schedule in required lessons.

#4 26-02-15 19:49:21

VandADI
Administrator

I have seen this happening too, more and more often.  I feel so embarrassed for the instructor because it is so obvious they haven't checked and then they publicly blame the pupil for this error. Whether you book your pupil's test or not, it is so easy for the instructor to check the date/time. All you need is the drivers' licence number, theory test number or application number.  If you don't have the theory test number, you can easily go to "find your lost theory passed certificate number" and get the info that way.  I normally check on the day of the test as well, just in case it has been cancelled for one reason or another.

#5 26-02-15 20:52:31

Mentor
Verified Member

If they cannot get the date and time of their test correct, should they be allowed to be in charge of a car? The biggest problem with the youngsters today is that they are so cosseted that they don't have to think for themselves. I don't go out of my way to check they have booked correctly other than asking them to be sure they have it correct. While I see others getting it wrong and being turned away regularly, I don't recall ever having been in that situation myself.

#6 26-02-15 22:04:32

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Back in the old days when the tests were issued from regional offices and brown postcards sent out, I had 2 interesting errors.
The first one was from Gaunts House in Bristol, they sent a card for, lets say,   Mon 12 May. unfortunately the 12th of May wasn't a Monday that year.
So was it the day, the date or the month that was wrong; in the end it turned out the month was wrong.
The other one was from the area office in Manchester, we had asked for a Blackburn test, the organisation was such that the clerks dealt with particular groups of Test Centres and the same clerk dealt with both Blackburn and Blackpool and he/she had pulled out the wrong pre-printed card and sent us a card for Blackpool in error.

#7 26-02-15 22:26:06

Evan
Administrator

"If they cannot get the date and time of their test correct, should they be allowed to be in charge of a car? The biggest problem with the youngsters today is that they are so cosseted that they don't have to think for themselves."

Absolutely spot on, however to save myself embarrassment I check. To be completely honest I have now got to the point where I can't trust young people to do anything, hapless, forgetful and hopeless.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 26-02-15 22:39:37

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

VandADI wrote:

I have seen this happening too, more and more often.  I feel so embarrassed for the instructor because it is so obvious they haven't checked and then they publicly blame the pupil for this error.

I have to disagree with this and because I'm irritated at the moment I am going to disagree vehemently  wink  I recently turned up an hour late for a test that I had booked on behalf of my pupil.  I got the time wrong - how is not relevant, let's just say it was the result of a senior moment.  I immediately apologised to the examiner for the no show and then publicly to my pupil.  It was my fault, indisputably and I consider myself decent enough to take the blame.  I paid for the retest as well.

#9 26-02-15 23:20:37

VandADI
Administrator

Lady H ...by all means disagree with me, but.I was referring to  what I had witnessed at the test centre....this is not a personal attack on you so please don't take it so personally no matter how much my reply has irritated you

#10 27-02-15 03:11:41

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Sorry Vanda

#11 27-02-15 05:31:57

DonT
Verified Member

Once saw a case in Swindon where the pupil and ADI had the correct day, date and time but unfortunately the wrong place. The test had been requested for Swindon but booked in Hull. It turned out the candidates surname was HULL, so it is best to check everything before the test.?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 27-02-15 06:53:34

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Mentor wrote:

If they cannot get the date and time of their test correct, should they be allowed to be in charge of a car? The biggest problem with the youngsters today is that they are so cosseted that they don't have to think for themselves. I don't go out of my way to check they have booked correctly other than asking them to be sure they have it correct. While I see others getting it wrong and being turned away regularly, I don't recall ever having been in that situation myself.

In the same tone if the instructor can't be bothered to check they deserve to lose money.   The ADI at my TC yesterday was complaining  that he was going to have to cancel two following  lessons because his lad had got the time wrong.

What a shame.  lol

Perhaps he should he charge his pupil for the lost hours.

#13 27-02-15 08:12:21

Evan
Administrator

I will share this with you, it happened last year.

SE had just finished a debrief of a Standards Check, he saw an examiner turning an instructor and pupil away as the pupil had turned up without the paper part of the licence.
He turned to the few of us sitting there (our pupils had now left the building), his comment, "That's the instructors fault, the pupil has paid him for a professional service which includes the checking of documentation before presenting the pupil to test", I totally agree, as I said above I can't trust young people to do anything themselves, which is why I double check everything and spare myself embarrassment.

Two years ago I saw a PDI being refused a part 3 test because his nearside front tyre was under the legal limit, come on folks thats not rocket science, I am sure we all check around our vehicles before we leave for work, I know I do, but then I did before I was an instructor.

#14 27-02-15 11:53:54

Joe24
Verified Member

The DVSA let far too many cowboys remain on the register as did the DSA.

#15 28-02-15 12:36:29

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I always book my students tests so know exactly when they are.

A few years ago, in the days when dsa still sent letters, I turned up for 10.24 test, but my student hadn't bought her letter.
At 10.30 I knocked the door and asked where examiner was?
I was told they have no 10.24 test today, but then she came back to say it's actualy 10.44, I argued the case but as no proof backed down.
My student went out and I had to let the following students know I'd be late.
My girl passed anyway, but when she got home she text me to say she found letter and it said 10.24 on it.

Last edited by Robbie (28-02-15 12:37:04)

Board footer