You are not logged in.

#1 12-09-13 15:02:18

Maisiejayne

Tips to conquer nerves

Hi everybody,
I have my second test on the 23rd September and the nerves are setting in. I had a lesson today and felt really nevous. My main problems are trusting that cars are not going to ram me, its silly and irrational but i totally over annalyse everything. My instructor has said there is nothing more he can teach me, as i am at test standard but if anything lets me down on the day it will be my nerves. I was nervous on roundabouts before but im over that fear, i had a car cut me up today and my bottle went. Overall my driving is safe and I anticipate situations normally well but as soon as something happens, i lose my nerve.

My manuvers are good and I have an exellent ADI who doent give me turning points but tells me to find my own, which i like. He says only I can face the fear and enjoy the drive and that maybe i over annalyse things because im a nurse. But how do i face up to my nerves and get over this silky fear that somebody is going to crash ? I totally agree with what hes saying but just need some tips on how to relax more.

I am an older driver at 44 and also work with patients who have been made disabled my road traffic accidents which does nothing to help with my nerves as ive seen first hand what accidents can do. I also was involved in a crash as a passenger which i received a spinal injury, just to give you all an idea as to why i think this way. I am normally a very confident person so this is totally out of character for me.

I have another 14 hours booked before my test and practice will hopefully make perfect ( or at least improve my way of thinking) so any tips? I need to drive so badly for my job. Thank you in advance.

12-09-13 15:02:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Tips to conquer nerves

#2 12-09-13 16:28:59

brod
Banned

Good advice Triker, now let me have think!!! was that COACHING or good old fashioned instruction?
Everyone suffers nerves maiseyjane and as Triker has said if you are confident in your subjects then it will ease a few of the nerves. Being nervous can have its positives as it will keep you more focused and help you not to be complacent.
Like Triker said I to am a little puzzled when your instructor said there is nothing more you can be taught hmm
There are always things to learn when driving.

#3 12-09-13 17:50:08

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Hello Maisiejane, I also get nervous on test, but there are a couple of things that can be done. The big one is to try and never be taken by surprise. In every situation, it's good to run through the 'what-ifs' or to 'mentally rehearse' what you might do if something happened (eg a truck suddenly coming round the corner). I find that if you do this, you're much less likely to get startled and do something out of sheer panic.

On manoeuvres, try taking a deep breath before starting. The examiner will happily wait the two seconds it takes to do this.

I know exactly what your instructor means by 'nothing left to teach'. There's nothing more technical you have to learn about controlling the car, just need to conquer your nerves. Sounds like you're a good prospect if you can do this. You might want to try another instructor for a couple of hours to see if they can explain how to anticipate/read the road in a different way?

Anyway, good luck with your second and final test!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 12-09-13 18:10:48

Maisiejayne

Triker wrote:

Nerves is a common demon. One of the most common reasons for it is lack of confidence. Lack of confidence can be attributed to lack of knowledge about the subject you are being tested on. Si if you know your stuff you will feel confident that the test will go well. At least the bit that you have control over.

As for the other bit. Outside influences such as "a car suddenly appearing from nowhere that you cant see and avoid"? It doesn't happen like that. The child who "suddenly runs across the road who you couldn't but couldn't stop"? Doesn't happen like that either. The point is you are in complete control at all times. You anticipate what may be just out of sight. You anticipate that a child 'could' run across the road so you keep your speed down 'just in case'....now you can stop!

Interesting that your instructor says "there is nothing more he can teach " you? I have been driving for 43 years and 'still' learning so I find it amazing if he thinks he can't teach you anything and you having a further 14 hours training  cool

Another revealing thing you said is " i had a car cut me up today and my bottle went"! Did it 'cut you up' or were you in its way? If it cut you up why didn't you anticipate it or if you were in its way what went wrong to put you there? When you say you over analyse I think you are not analysing correctly. So think about something that has caused you to panic or 'lose your bottle'. Now what went wrong? Why did it go wrong? What do you need to do to make it right?

I would imagine as a nurse you do this all the time. Your patient has the belly ache...what caused it? Don't know?

How can you find out why he has the belly ache? Xray?

How can you make sure it doesn't happen again? Answer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Thank you for your reply. I think my ADI was refering to the basics of driving, implying i need to use anticipation skills without prompting. The car that cut me up just flew out of a junction without looking causing me to brake, i saw it there but it misjudged the gap i suppose. Your advice makes perfect sence, i suppose being a passenger for many years and being older makes me extra cautious. I actually have 4 more hours with this particular instructor and 10 with my original. I did a 2 week residential course in August ( previously had 60 plus hours in 2002 but then had a bad accident and stopped them) when i failed my first test, i came home obviously and booked a further 10 hours with the ADI i am with now, i have 4 hours of this block left. Both instructors i cannot fault and the local one especially has been excellent in helping me with my nerves. Funny you should use the reference to my being a nurse, he said near enough the same. In every day things i am very confident, its just the odd moment when driving that my nerves get the better of me. If that makes sence. But thank you all the same.   

Count all the instruments before you sew him up next time  lol  lol  lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 12-09-13 18:14:54

Maisiejayne

brod wrote:

Good advice Triker, now let me have think!!! was that COACHING or good old fashioned instruction?
Everyone suffers nerves maiseyjane and as Triker has said if you are confident in your subjects then it will ease a few of the nerves. Being nervous can have its positives as it will keep you more focused and help you not to be complacent.
Like Triker said I to am a little puzzled when your instructor said there is nothing more you can be taught hmm
There are always things to learn when driving.

Thanks brod, as i explained i dont think he was refering to ive learnt all i can, obviously driving is a lifelong skill but he cant teach me confidence only i can gain that, hence why ive still got another 14 hours to get that practice. Nerves are so alien to me, maybe they are just worse because the test is so near who knows? Your all so lovely thank you so much

#6 12-09-13 18:15:55

Maisiejayne

Andrew lefthandseat wrote:

Hello Maisiejane, I also get nervous on test, but there are a couple of things that can be done. The big one is to try and never be taken by surprise. In every situation, it's good to run through the 'what-ifs' or to 'mentally rehearse' what you might do if something happened (eg a truck suddenly coming round the corner). I find that if you do this, you're much less likely to get startled and do something out of sheer panic.

On manoeuvres, try taking a deep breath before starting. The examiner will happily wait the two seconds it takes to do this.

I know exactly what your instructor means by 'nothing left to teach'. There's nothing more technical you have to learn about controlling the car, just need to conquer your nerves. Sounds like you're a good prospect if you can do this. You might want to try another instructor for a couple of hours to see if they can explain how to anticipate/read the road in a different way?

Anyway, good luck with your second and final test!

Sound advice, i will try that. Thank you so much too. I feel a bit more confident now thinking of it that way

#7 12-09-13 19:23:43

(ROG)
Verified Member

Does your instructor ask you things like what are you seeing, what could happen and what do you think you should do about it etc ?

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#8 12-09-13 20:55:01

Evan
Administrator

The one common denominator with most drivers is that most of them don't want to have a crash, so you and they are singing from the same hymn sheet. Nerves? very important to give us the little adrenalin rush and sharpen us up for things like tests. Believe in yourself and you will do well.

#9 13-09-13 07:14:07

Triplea35
Verified Member

Not mentioned already so will add my experiences and methods of dealing with nerves.

Firstly my pupils undergo mock tests that are as true to life as possible, including visiting TC waiting room so that they are able to visualise, the whole experience.

Secondly to boost a pupils confidence I encourage/insist that they bring parents/friends, sometimes another pupil, along on lessons/mock tests. I don't mind who so long as they have substantial driving experience, can assess the pupils driving and make a contribution to any subsequent feedback and encouragement.

You can see a pupils confidence rise to a higher level after such experiences and the test is a far less daunting experience.

So in the remaining time I would get a partner/friend along  on a lesson or two and ask your instructor to conduct realistic mock tests.

#10 13-09-13 10:40:06

Maisiejayne

Ive already mentioned i anticipate things well and driving is up to test standard. I feel nervous due to a past accident which resulted in my having numerous operations, i wear a spinal brace because of this. Its taken me a lot of years to get back behind the wheel and of course im going to get nervous at junctions because my accident happened on one by a person who didnt even have a licence in this country to drive.

Its not the test that makes me nervous, its the idiots who have no consideration for others on the road that make me nervous!

#11 25-09-13 09:40:29

BB Driving School
Website

How did the test go?

#12 16-12-13 22:48:33

BB Driving School
Website

Any news yet

#13 01-02-15 08:53:06

Angus
Verified Member
Website

A good mock test normally sorts out any issues I have found. Its natural to be nervous as you begin, but you should settle down not long after starting.  big_smile

#14 01-02-15 21:48:08

la.monikita
Verified Member

Angus this post dates back to  December 2013!

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

Board footer