You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-01-15 11:20:48

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

"He's an old man, he'll understand"

I’ve posted this on three forums for interest (they’ve been rather quiet lately) …

A new student came out to my car, put a couple of bags in the back seat, asked me to drop her off at a different address, and to open the boot.
Then she raced back into the house to get some “cartons” before I could protest that the Swift’s boot can barely hold an A4 envelope, let alone even one moving-van type carton.
A woman came out saying she’d explained to the girl that she can’t use a driving school instructor & car as a removalist.
I was told the girl replied: “He’s an old man, he’ll understand!”
I was taken aback at first, then I remembered that the woman & girl being both part-indigenous Australians, are from a culture which respects all elders as a matter of course.
Recently I’d been feeling my age a bit and getting dejected looking in the mirror at my white hair & beard (OK OK I’m only 65), so I regarded this incident as a nice compliment.
(BTW the woman promised to take the cartons to the new address for her, the girl was happy, and the lesson, paid for by the NT Government’s Department of Children and Families, went well).

How would YOU react to “He’s an old man/woman …” ?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

30-01-15 11:20:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: "He's an old man, he'll understand"

#2 30-01-15 12:01:54

johnp
Verified Member

Re: "He's an old man, he'll understand"

Age brings many benefits.

The young and old relate to you equally well so no section of society is a no-go area because of age.
They are able to share with you their problems because you do understand and have probably experienced them yourself.

You have 'time' because you are not rushing to meet family demands as you were when younger.
You are still fit to work. (I hope)

The problem come when you say. "A few years ago we were in America when the twin towers were attacked) And you realise they were toddlers. 

Or to be more relevant today you talk about Churchill's funeral and cancelling our proposed strike (NAS) when I was teaching.   

Or the holocaust  ( Actually this was a good conversation as they had studied it in 'History'.)

Or the Falkland's war. I use Brian Hanrahan's example when being overtaken. "I counted them out and I counted them back".

So as what you know as 'life' they know as 'history' and you still have a point of contact.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer