You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 27-01-15 18:35:29

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Future of Diesel cars

There seems to be a growing backlash against diesel cars with charges being considered for driving in central London; Paris considering banning them etc. Add to that the extra cost of the fuel and higher initial cost of the car and costly problems with DPF on some models will it be long before it is cheaper to go back to petrol for our job? Even with high mileage we do I doubt if overall there is any advantage as it is.

I am sure it won't belong before the incentives we have had to push us towards diesels will be withdrawn such as low vehicle duty so they will look even less attractive.

In another 5 or 6 months I will be looking to change and I am seriously considering going to petrol, anyone else made the change?

Last edited by CantThinkofaName (27-01-15 18:36:36)

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

27-01-15 18:35:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Future of Diesel cars

#2 27-01-15 19:47:30

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Can happily live without the grief of constant stalling which can happen in petrol cars.
No change for me.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 27-01-15 20:23:59

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Had one diesel, hated it.

Stalling not an issue with petrol, just teach proper control skills.

Petrol is currently 11p litre cheaper locally, isn't smelly and greasy and the car is refined and quiet.

I wouldn't buy a small diesel. For me petrol has more advantages.

Last edited by kaf (27-01-15 20:24:29)

#4 27-01-15 20:52:05

johnp
Verified Member

Did you see Dispatches yesterday?

The medical effects were quite frightening for anyone with a diesel.
Especially those in a car near a diesel.

No wonder there is this aim to get them off the road in cities.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#5 27-01-15 23:09:40

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I was thinking of test driving a petrol as the stalling issue is something I was worried about but I try to teach even in a diesel to use gas so hopefully not an issue as kaf says. John, what is Dispatches?

#6 27-01-15 23:30:59

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Push for diesel cars was a result of the Kyoto agreement on CO2 emissions.
Unfortunately some of the unintended consequences include much higher levels of NO2 and particulate matter, leading to exacerbating health problems and 'causing' the deaths of many extra thousands of people a year.
UK now being taken to court and fined by the EU for not meeting air quality targets.  hmm

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#7 28-01-15 00:11:27

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Just watched Dispatches, that is shocking. Think I will look seriously at a petrol now.

#8 28-01-15 00:18:06

Triplea35
Verified Member

My diesel is nearly 3yrs old and has topped 120k.

Locally the difference in price was 4p a litre but has spread to 7p recently with the recent price deductions. Still only 6% more expensive against being 34% more efficient on mpg against the petrol equivalent.(real mpg figures - not claimed) I seem to be reading that these supposedly super economical petrol engines such as the Ford Ecoboost are nothing of the sort. The car is easy to drive, pupils like it, and must be well sound proofed as in the cabin you hardly notice/forget its a diesel 

Having said that I did half watch Despatches and found the health issues to be a bit concerning. Also on a recent service when I mentioned thinking of changing car soon my friendly Indy garage suggested considering a petrol mentioning the 'complexities' of modern diesels and upcoming expense such as the timing belt needing changing.

So its left me undecided, so have chose to keep on running this diesel until the decision is more critical and hope the pro/cons are a little clearer.

Last edited by Triplea35 (28-01-15 00:32:36)

#9 28-01-15 15:20:23

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
My petrol car pulls away better on tickover than my friend's diesel, so what's the problem?

Last edited by pegasus (28-01-15 15:22:03)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 28-01-15 18:14:27

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

pegasus wrote:

Hi
My petrol car pulls away better on tickover than my friend's diesel, so what's the problem?

What is it you drive?

#11 28-01-15 19:05:15

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
A small Volvo, but I have also demonstrated the capability to owners of Fiestas and Polos who doubted me.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 28-01-15 19:20:57

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Triplea35 wrote:

My diesel is nearly 3yrs old and has topped 120k.

Locally the difference in price was 4p a litre but has spread to 7p recently with the recent price deductions. Still only 6% more expensive against being 34% more efficient on mpg against the petrol equivalent.(real mpg figures - not claimed) I seem to be reading that these supposedly super economical petrol engines such as the Ford Ecoboost are nothing of the sort. The car is easy to drive, pupils like it, and must be well sound proofed as in the cabin you hardly notice/forget its a diesel 

Having said that I did half watch Despatches and found the health issues to be a bit concerning. Also on a recent service when I mentioned thinking of changing car soon my friendly Indy garage suggested considering a petrol mentioning the 'complexities' of modern diesels and upcoming expense such as the timing belt needing changing.

So its left me undecided, so have chose to keep on running this diesel until the decision is more critical and hope the pro/cons are a little clearer.

Agree with the above. I drive a 2012 diesel Mini and have saved around £2500 in fuel costs over 2 years. I know that petrol cars are getting more fuel efficient but the latest model 1.2 petrol Mini official fuel consumption is 20 mpg less than the 1.5 Diesel equivalent. Diesel engines are also have much better low down torque, and I find diesel Mini's much nicer to drive. Most of the extra cost of buying the car is regained when you sell the car especially as diesel engines are longer lasting and high mileages are not as much an issue most to buyers.

Just about to change my car and I would be financially much worse off driving a petrol so I will stay with diesel, but who knows I might even have a hybrid car next time.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#13 30-01-15 07:59:18

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

All my tuition cars have been petrol purely because of initial purchase costs and fill up costs.
I've never even owned a diesel for my private cars.
I find when I get students come from instructors with diesel cars, they stall mainly the first lesson in mine, but then when I tell them to add gas when pulling away they get used to it.  The problem I find is they are taught to pull away on the clutch with no gas.

#14 30-01-15 09:39:52

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

I certainly don't teach no gas, and I suspect most don't if you actually want to set off 'normally'. No gas would mean just creeping away.  I think what causes the problem is the timing and amount of gas needed. Tends to be just slightly later and slower than a petrol, perhaps. The initial movement can be mostly clutch and it won't stall. You could describe it as 'clutch and gas' for a diesel, but 'gas and/then clutch' for a petrol. Subtly different but just enough to stall until you get used to it.

As for the stop-start system which means on the rare occasion they stall, it simply restarts when they depress the clutch. Change cars and they won't know what to do when they stall!  I actually teach stalling these days to make sure they cover it, otherwise they'll be lost in their small petrol car when it clunks to a halt!  cool

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#15 01-03-15 12:10:21

Rockin
Verified Member

I have always had a Diesel (15 years)but am considering a Hybrid next

#16 02-03-15 21:13:36

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I have just bought a used car, to replace my 3 year old polo.
It's just had Duals fitted today,  just waiting for dvla to transfer private reg from my wife's grande punto, as she is having my current polo.
The car ive just bought is a63 plate polo r line 1.2tsi, yet another petrol.

#17 20-07-15 19:31:19

Triplea35
Verified Member

Was wondering why diesel was reducing in price. In my area it is now the same as petrol @114.7p per litre at Asda.

Diesel Driver getting raw deal.

#18 20-07-15 19:36:27

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I've noticed this in last week ,diesel was 5p litre more, but now 1p litre less than unleaded.
But they've both gone down in price too.
I use super unleaded which is 5p litre more at Tesco than normal unleaded .

#19 22-07-15 03:39:58

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Coasting Mart wrote:

... Change cars and they won't know what to do ...

This highlights a general problem. I'm sticking to petrol at this point in time simply because most of my students will be driving petrol (a lot will also drive diesels, but large work vehicles not small cars).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#20 22-07-15 09:09:12

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Supply and demand. In the US it's used as heating oil a lot so the price differential always increases in winter and drops I summer. What Is unusual is it being cheaper than unleaded. Not complaining mind! :-)

#21 22-07-15 14:18:22

Joe24
Verified Member

We always get robbed! mad
Wholesale diesel prices have been cheaper than petrol since May yet its only now that we finally see a price drop. Half of them (Supermarkets/petrol stations) only put the price down because the other one has. They feel forced to do it and pretend that their 1p drop is a massive gesture to us the ripped off motorist.
Then when you look at oil prices you again see we are being robbed. It should be BELOW £1 per litre and should have been for several months. Don't get me started on motorway service stations prices.
I understand why remote locations have to charge more because of the added cost of getting fuel to their forecourts but the average fuel prices across the board should be a lot cheaper!

#22 12-08-15 14:55:06

Galifrey

Most of my students average 40+ MPG on my 1.5 Petrol Colt, one even averaged 48.9mpg on his lesson. Diesels are likely to get hammered soon due to emissions and Petrols are getting better and better.

Board footer