You are not logged in.

#1 18-01-15 22:00:21

Ashton

Instructional Techninques

I am a newly qualified ADI who would like some advice involving moving off and making normal stops with a learner driver for the first time, As there are no roads that actually continue in a straight line indefinitely it is inevitable that the pupil will have to encounter a junction of some form or another.

My predicament is as follows, do I instruct, by means of promoting, the pupil through the necessities of emerging at a junction?

If this is the case should any sort of briefing regarding junctions by given?   

My personal opinion is that would be to much information for the pupil to digest on top of the briefing and pressure of moving off and stopping for the first time in their lives.

Can anybody shed some light on this please. hmm

18-01-15 22:00:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Instructional Techninques

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-01-15 22:51:13

johnp
Verified Member

Hi Ashton,

My view with all driving is let them do it and see how much common sense (natural skill)
they already have and then just hone that skill and develop it.

Certainly tell them what is required - but not a flow diagram of how to do it.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#3 19-01-15 10:49:57

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Hello Ashton,

Welcome to the most rewarding, frustrating, joyous and best job in the world. smile

There are so many options for you.  I find that pupils on a first lesson have already taken in so much information that any new information will probably get lost and may dislodge information that is already there.  Or they may be able to handle junctions with no issues at all.  Each situation will be different because each pupil is different. 

Sometimes I will do a couple of junctions under guidance, with me covering the pedals in case.  Sometimes I will take them as far as possible along the road and then do a turn in the road, with me doing the pedals and them steering and observing - it all helps them to get a feel for the car.  Sometimes it might be both or neither.  It depends on the natural aptitude of the pupil as John has said and obviously safety of all road users.

Remember you are good at what you do and I'm sure you can find a way to turn the car round without swapping seats.  You'll get the occasional one wrong - I have - but the pupil can even learn from that...we all make mistakes!

If you haven't done so I also recommend asking if another ADI will let you ride shotgun on some of their lessons.  I did this and it made a huge difference to me and my ability to do the job.  Teaching for real is completely different to the part 3...

I hope that helps...

#4 19-01-15 10:57:03

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ashton,
Luckily for me I have access to large, mostly vacant car parks - I conduct cab drill, moving off/stopping & steering exercises in there, and also do changes between 1st & 2nd gear.
If they pick it up reasonably well I move on to carefully selected roads which are quiet and I do mainly "turn into a side road on the left" turns where there isn't an obligation to give way to vehicles (under Australian Road Rules) and can usually be done in 2nd gear without stopping.
I have dual clutch/brake/accelerator in my manual and dual brake/accelerator in my auto, so I talk them through it and assist a fair bit in the first stages (they have already been briefed on how to hand over full control of the car to me in tricky situations).

I agree that briefing on junctions is usually too much to digest, especially considering that the student will have difficulty relating to something that they have yet to experience.

Usually during the second lesson I do "creeping using clutch to control speed" exercises then move on to "1st gear give way corners".
At some point I will discuss the difference between the 2 types of corners we've done so far, and the student gradually builds up an understanding of why different situations require different techniques.

In the last 2 days I've had 3 students come to me from the same instructor, each one with the same story.
On the first lesson they simply sat in the car while, after explaining how he's the best ADI in Darwin, he described the controls while talking at a fast rate (they couldn't understand what he was on about) and then he started to discuss hypothetical situations which they also didn't understand, apparently involving speed, distances, and some maths!
Two of them never got behind the wheel at all, the other only got a few minutes.

This ADI’s style was definitely “too much info too soon”, he lost 3 students at least (the ones who came to me over it.

Last edited by Zipper (19-01-15 10:58:01)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 20-01-15 06:38:36

ralge
Verified Member

I identify very closely with the question.  For most of the time I've been qualified I've been involved with fleet so I've not had too much involvement in learners and those learners that I've had in recent years had lived within a mile of where I live so I guess my way through this "problem" is a bit of a cheat.
I've had the luxury, therefore, of being able to use the same "nursery" routes almost every time.
The route is effectively a square of residential roads that I can do as a left-left (open and closed with one Stop) ... Or a right-right (at quiet times I can use a small car park to turn it around (or iron out steering issues) or the road for an early, aided TIR.  The left-left turns are GiveWays, the right-rights are major to minor.  The route is not flat so there's plenty of opportunity from the outset to experience holding on a hill/GiveWay line and for gears 1-2-3-2-1 with braking prior to gear section.
From this square I branch out to a wider circle and return to the sanctuary of the original square. 
Very early, then, pupils gain the physical coordination skills to deal with junctions, stop-start traffic and getting the vehicle moving.  In the early stages I limit my input on MSPSL to whatever is called for I.e. I don't see need for long briefs at this stage and assist verbally and physically whenever needed (and explain).

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#6 20-01-15 10:23:31

RobC
Verified Member
Website

First lessons are very important and in my opinion it is essential that you find a suitable place to start. I live in a rural area and in some instances drive 15 minutes to such a suitable place out of my own time. You can spend this time getting to know the pupil, discussing MSPSL and demonstrating steering.
Agree with ralge, an ideal place to start is a circuit of approaching left junctions in a quiet area with talk through. Use local knowledge or google maps to find an appropriate place for lessons.

Last edited by RobC (20-01-15 10:26:00)

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

Board footer