You are not logged in.

#1 08-01-15 11:39:33

martin Williams
Verified Member

1.4SE Polo dual -mass flywheel failed just 7000 miles

Failed at just 7000 miles car just 3 months old.

Not at all happy had bad intermittent clunking noise when at idle. Booked in garage this week for Tuesday and Wednesday. Now informed won't be ready till tomorrow (Friday) lunchtime as it took them a while to diagnose the fault.

Has anyone had a similar problem at such a low mileage?

08-01-15 11:39:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1.4SE Polo dual -mass flywheel failed just 7000 miles

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-01-15 22:45:18

johnp
Verified Member

I do not understands why they fit these things.

A solid flywheel will last for ever even of the clutch is burnt or kangarooed etc.

These have no resilience in our job.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#3 09-01-15 07:18:14

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Small,diesel,engines,,turbo, massive low Rev torque. Building a flywheel with 'give' makes power transmission smoother, but at the expense of reliability.
A reason why I prefer petrol.

#4 09-01-15 10:14:33

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I think there have been earlier threads on this subject, wasn't the failure due to the adhesive to bond two components?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 09-01-15 15:09:24

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Never had a problem with any of the 4 diesels I've had.    One going at just 7000 miles has to be faulty and under warranty

#6 11-01-15 15:01:45

martin Williams
Verified Member

Your quite right Roadmaster covered by warranty. Got car back Friday 1pm and done just 8 hour of lessons and the fault has returned but this time sounds much worse. My guess this time it's due to mechanic failure rather than mechanical failure. I guess it will back in the garage for at least another 2 days. So I will have lost in total of around  5 days pay around £500. If as I expect the reoccurrence  of the fault was caused by sloppy work by the garage I will be hoping for some sort of compensation.

Last edited by martin Williams (11-01-15 15:02:41)

#7 19-01-15 08:51:09

RobC
Verified Member
Website

I don't know if its basically the same gearbox/clutch as the Audi A1 but I remember reading a thread on here about similar failures with £1500 bills. At that time Audi were very reluctant to put through as a warranty claim which put me off buying an Audi.

Im up to 60,000 miles in 22 months in a Mini diesel now without problems, though probably due to change the car at 70,000.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#8 20-01-15 15:45:08

TDAScott
Website

I've recently put a new Dual mass flywheel in my Vectra (personal) but never had one on a school car.

I think that the DPF filter, injector issues and DMF's will see an end to instructors using diesel's. Personally the cost of replacement parts and servicing has skyrocketted for us on diesel's so we have swapped to petrol's, we suffer on MPG being not as good but the cars stay on the road more and servicing is cheaper (touch wood).

Just bought the wife a new 2.0 cdti Astra, lovely as it is it has that many gadgets such as stop start, no roll back handbrake, DPF etc I fear some of the bills it will throw up a few years down the line.

We did have a 2.2 cdti civic with a slipping clutch at 40k, Honda only paid 50% due to it being just out of warranty, but it was a common problem apparently the power of the car being too much for the gearbox

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 22-01-15 19:22:45

RobC
Verified Member
Website

TDAScott wrote:

I've recently put a new Dual mass flywheel in my Vectra (personal) but never had one on a school car.

I think that the DPF filter, injector issues and DMF's will see an end to instructors using diesel's. Personally the cost of replacement parts and servicing has skyrocketted for us on diesel's so we have swapped to petrol's, we suffer on MPG being not as good but the cars stay on the road more and servicing is cheaper (touch wood).

I changed from petrol Minis to my current diesel Mini and cant see myself going back to petrol. The latest Mini 1.5 diesel gives 20 mpg more than a 1.2 petrol Mini on combined MPG. Over the 2 years I've had my diesel I have saved around £2500 in fuel and in my opinion the diesel is far better to drive. The diesel Mini cost a little more then the petrol equivalent Mini, but is more saleable with a high mileage and I will get this back. I have a Mini service plan on my diesel which is £275 for 50,000 miles the same cost as the petrol model.

I haven't heard of instructors having DPF filter problems. Most higher mileage diesel car users get a good blast to clear it, and if DPF filters were such a problem surely no one would make or buy a diesel.

I think most high mileage users both car and particularly commercial vehicle users will continue to buy diesels unless running costs, taxes on fuel, emissions and road tax makes them unfeasible compared to petrol. Perhaps in 5 or 10 years time we will all be driving hybrid vehicles neutral

Last edited by RobC (22-01-15 19:30:16)

#10 05-07-15 17:04:10

martin Williams
Verified Member

Well my car has now done just 22,500 miles and the same clunking noise has returned. Back to the VW dealer in the morning. Not at all happy as I have a full diary next week just over 40 hours including 2 tests. I expect it's going to cost me at least £200 in lost income. I don't think I will be buying a diesel Polo again.

#11 06-07-15 06:04:25

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Very annoying. If it were me I probably wouldn't even buy another VW. I sold my Mini diesel at 65,000 miles and the clutch was fine. I don't do learners anymore but may have considered a hybrid if I did.

#12 06-07-15 20:50:39

la.monikita
Verified Member

Martin, what engine size do you have?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#13 07-07-15 07:13:54

martin Williams
Verified Member

Its the 1.4 Diesel new 2014 model which came out last summer. Before that I had a 1.2 Diesel Polo Bluemotion and had no trouble at all. It seems it can't cope with the extra torque.
Car is going in the garage this morning.

Last edited by martin Williams (07-07-15 09:58:08)

#14 07-07-15 18:04:11

la.monikita
Verified Member

What's the BHP? I think the new Skoda has the same engine as the biggest engine in the new range is 1.4. I reckon there are the same problems as the A1.

I will keep to Skoda, as they get the technology 2 years later with all the teething problems sorted.

I hope you sorted it today.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#15 07-07-15 19:26:43

martin Williams
Verified Member

BHP is 75. New Dual Mass Flywheel being fitted tomorrow, second one on the car only done 22500 miles. I put it down to the high gear ratios VW have used to improve fuel economy by a couple of mph. Hench 1st gear is needed more often to go round corners which could comfortable be done in 2nd in my old car. When in 5th slowing down you must get into 3rd before 35mph or it will stall, so more strain is put on the flywheel as you have to go from 5th to 3rd at around 40mph or go to 4th. It will also stall if put in 4th by mistake instead of 2nd when changing down from 3rd at speeds below 28mph. All this is causing to much strain on the clutch and flywheel . Also because more gear changes are needed fuel economy is not improved unless your cruising in the same gear. I do not recommend it as a tuition vehicle. Alas I will need to hold onto the car till somewhere near the end of the warranty period as changing would cost to much.

Last edited by martin Williams (07-07-15 19:34:27)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 08-07-15 08:24:00

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

I will keep to Skoda, as they get the technology 2 years later with all the teething problems sorted.

That's good to know!  smile
My Yeti 1.6 greenline has had no problems at all and done 45k miles in 18 months.  All good, with not poor mpg at around 50 - drops when going faster as a boxy shape!  Better mpg on lessons!
Gears are neatly arranged as 1st until 10mph, 2nd till 20, 3rd till 30, 4th till 40.  Minimums of course - can do 40 in 2nd or 60 in 3rd for the true getaway drive.
Nice smooth drive. Good for towing and still easy for learners.

A colleague has a Fabia Monti Carlo coming up on 2 yrs and 120k and no problems. (he does a lot of miles).

I do feel you martin as it must be a right pia!  mad

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#17 10-07-15 07:03:58

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Thankfully i don't have to worry about this on my polos ,as they are both petrol .

Board footer