You are not logged in.

#1 06-01-15 23:22:46

Triplea35
Verified Member

Speed camera enforcemnet query.

There is a stretch of  30mph road very close to my home that regularly has a mobile speed camera unit present facing East and capturing speeders travelling East to West. It was there again today. Generally any vehicular traffic coming towards it will have passed through 30mph signs, either from a 40 to 30 along the main road itself or out of 20mph side roads.

However just  to the West of where the camera unit is usually sited major road works/new junctions has been taking place for the best part of a year and signs where the road changed from 40 to 30mph for traffic travelling West to East have been removed and not replaced as yet.

Got me thinking today that any traffic who came from the West, visited private homes, a Church, and a  petrol station and/or did a u turn would have never passed through a 30mph sign.

Would this be grounds to appeal an individual case or would it make all cases of enforcement unsafe?

06-01-15 23:22:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Speed camera enforcemnet query.

#2 07-01-15 07:17:50

MGM
Verified Member

I believe that deficient signage is not a blanket get-out in a 30 limit (as the presence of street lighting indicates that it is a restricted road), but it's a possible defence if you're caught just after the missing* or incorrect sign.

* Or more correctly, after the point where the missing sign should be wink

#3 07-01-15 08:19:58

trunkmonkey

In addition to the above;
It is the responsibility of the camera operative at the start and end of enforcement to ensure that "all signs were present, clearly visible and conformed to regulations". They have a proforma and sign that. It's not a statement for court but it is evidence.
This is a strict requirement for proving the offence.

It is a serious mistake to make especially if large numbers of drivers are prosecuted, and as happened in this area a few years, ago it led to a sacking.

#4 07-01-15 09:52:04

Triplea35
Verified Member

Thanks for the responses.

I did consider emailing them, but only options appear to be to phone or write, so rang and was put straight through to a PC, the camera operative.

He was obviously very aware of the location I was talking about but clearly not aware of the missing signs and I got a rather reserved 'thank you we'll have a look'

Should have left my contact details, would be interested in the outcome of it!

Board footer