You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-10-14 12:46:22

dog
Verified Member

More inane change to driving licences

Here we go again - the government are on a roll. https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat … -2006126ec

In a nutshell:

Passing C+E or C1+E no longer upgrades D1 to D1+E. This seems utterly ridiculous as it means you can pass C+E and go on to drive a 55 foot long, 16 foot high, 44 tonne double decker articulated lorry but you can't pull a box trailer behind a minibus.

Mechanics with category C who service buses as well as HGV's must now have category D in order to carry out road tests in buses. This is also stupid but according to government statistics it currently only affects 22 people in the UK. So not a huge loss.

These changes affect new licence holders only and will not be applied retrospectively.

Last edited by dog (15-10-14 12:47:45)

15-10-14 12:46:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: More inane change to driving licences

#2 15-10-14 17:42:58

(ROG)
Verified Member

Cannot see it will make that much of an impact in realistic terms

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 15-10-14 20:49:02

trunkmonkey

That depends if you are the workshops for Mercedes, Volvo or Scania.
Their mechanics repair both lorry and bus.

Local authorities operate both lorry and bus. Our workshop has 12 mechanics and only 2 have D, but everyone has C and up until now have always been able to drive a bus under the conditions allowed. Some of the mechanics are closing in on retirement, so it looks like there'll be a lot of training in the next few years.

Last edited by trunkmonkey (15-10-14 20:51:26)

#4 15-10-14 20:56:01

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I wonder if they have changed the rules for driver CPC as well.
Up to now a vocational dual C and D licence holder has been able to use one driver CPC set of hours to validate both categories.

Incidently DVLA have just sent me a form to renew my licence at 73, those in the know will appreciate that this means I still have my grandfather rights C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E, they are non-vocational but I use the D1 under a section 19 small bus permit.
Yet the DVLA have only sent a standard 70 plus licence renewal form, D46P although I require a Form D2 and a Medical Examination Report D4.

Last edited by pegasus (15-10-14 21:04:16)

#5 16-10-14 06:53:36

(ROG)
Verified Member

No change to driver cpc

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#6 16-10-14 11:37:18

dog
Verified Member

More training coming up indeed. I've seen a couple of the national newspapers running articles about there being the potential for a huge shortage of HGV drivers this Christmas, due to the introduction of CPC training and a lot of older drivers choosing to just take early retirement rather than faff around with it all, and not enough younger people going into the profession.

I can't say I blame them though, when you can easily drop £2000 now for training to drive an artic, and then unless you're extremely lucky or have friends in high places, you'll be stuck doing crappy agency work for £8 an hour for the first couple of years of your career.

Last edited by dog (16-10-14 11:38:05)

Board footer