You are not logged in.

#1 08-10-14 21:03:42

AAADI
Verified Member

Hidden Dip - Dead Ground

Hi All,  Banging my head trying to find the reference in Roadcraft to Hidden Dip.  Anyone know the page number  sad

08-10-14 21:03:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hidden Dip - Dead Ground

#2 09-10-14 16:03:30

trunkmonkey

Do I sense  RoSPA Diploma question here?   yikes

The term 'hidden dip' is mentioned very briefly in the Overtaking chapter but I don't believe that is what the examiner is after. 

If I'm on the right lines then let me know and I'll PM or email you the information you need.

#3 09-10-14 19:49:59

AAADI
Verified Member

Hi Trunkmonkey

You have hit the preverbial nail  lol

The question is: Differences between the approach to a Hill Crest and Hidden Dip; What advice to a pupil Etc.

Discussion between 6 delegates has produced 7 opinions big_smile

So any help would be welcome.

#4 09-10-14 20:13:25

daz6215
Verified Member

Is there a difference?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 09-10-14 22:20:46

trunkmonkey

AAADI wrote:

Hi Trunkmonkey

You have hit the preverbial nail  lol

The question is: Differences between the approach to a Hill Crest and Hidden Dip; What advice to a pupil Etc.

Discussion between 6 delegates has produced 7 opinions big_smile

So any help would be welcome.

Just seen this.
I sent you an email at around 7.00pm before I saw this, but I think I'd still give the same reply.

Daz,
Break down the elements of the system and it should show a different approach

Separately,from a training point of view we have far more vision approaching a dip than we do approaching a crest of a hill.
Why do we have far more KSI's in the dip than on the crest?

#6 10-10-14 22:20:25

AUTAX
Verified Member

A straight road with a hidden dip gives the perception of just that a straight road
and if an overtaking manoeuvre is being planned without the knowledge of the dip
then halfway throughout the manoeuvre a vehicle can suddenly appear out of the
dip just like something rising from the earth hence dead ground.

Confronted with a crest that cannot be seen over then only an idiot would attempt
an overtaking manoeuvre when the road ahead cannot be seen.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 11-10-14 12:10:35

trunkmonkey

AUTAX wrote:

A straight road with a hidden dip gives the perception of just that a straight road
and if an overtaking manoeuvre is being planned without the knowledge of the dip
then halfway throughout the manoeuvre a vehicle can suddenly appear out of the
dip just like something rising from the earth hence dead ground.

Confronted with a crest that cannot be seen over then only an idiot would attempt
an overtaking manoeuvre when the road ahead cannot be seen.

And in a classroom context, write those three words on the flipchart and discuss them.

#8 12-10-14 15:30:12

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

I have to hide the Guacamole in the fridge or the rest of the family eat it!   cool

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#9 12-10-14 21:18:27

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

OK now I get it - "hidden dip" big_smile - I'm unusually slow this morning.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#10 12-10-14 22:27:08

trunkmonkey

Yep,
Nothing worse than careering into a red hot chilli hummus

#11 13-10-14 06:33:41

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

I'm sure there's a cartoon in there somewhere, just my art abilities are even worse than my humour.  cool
I do on occasion advise clients to watch out for the hummus - gets them thinking!

And don't forget, after a hot spell watch out when you see signs warning of a congealed exit!  big_smile

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#12 13-10-14 07:29:48

trunkmonkey

Or a congealed entrance - a sign often placed close to a Hospital

#13 13-10-14 21:38:23

AUTAX
Verified Member

How about con-cealed approaching a prison?

Con, sealed. Prisoner locked up. OK rubbish but I thought it may raise a titter.  smile

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Board footer