You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 20-09-14 10:03:21

yorkie
Verified Member
Website

Brake noise on 14 plate fiesta

14 plate fiesta which recently had its 12.5k service and couple of days ago started making some noise from front offside when braking at low speed. I feel brakes are working as they should but I've never had a car make this noise under braking.

Ford have checked it and they say there is no fault and it's the brakes 'bedding in' and they have given me paperwork to prove it's been checked and no fault has been found.

Here is my dilemma, should I show this paperwork to the examiner BEFORE my next test on Monday or not?

If I show they might refuse test? (Don't know why they would, I just hate the thought of someone losing out on test)
If I don't show it and examiner hears it they could abandon test, possibly?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

www.candodriving.co.uk
DSA ADI since 2004
Rospa advanced test (gold) 2006, 2009 & 2012

20-09-14 10:03:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Brake noise on 14 plate fiesta

#2 20-09-14 10:16:41

Triplea35
Verified Member

If the brakes  work perfectly well, and its just brake 'squeal' then don't worry about it.

On my C3 I have quite a bit of squeal on front brakes when light braking. Annoying, caused since last change of discs/pads and mentioned it to garage a few times and have tried a few remedies but it continues. Never been mentioned/raised on test.

#3 20-09-14 12:34:30

kaf
Verified Member
Website

My students complain that my brakes squeal on light braking.

I can't hear a thing.

Shows how we lose our high frequency hearing as we get older.

Back to the OP, I wouldnt,worry about it, certainly wouldn't mention it to the examiner.

What sort of noise are we talking about?

Sometime pads can glaze which makes them noisy, hard braking can often sort it.

Do a few hard brakes from 60mpg.  Up to 60 brake hard without activating abs down to 10mph, but not to a standstill, keep the wheels rotating. Do this three or four times, the brakes will get very hot and burn off any glaze.  Keep them rotating afterwards until they cool down, stopping might cause a hot spot and warp the disc.

Last edited by kaf (20-09-14 12:38:12)

#4 20-09-14 12:48:28

yorkie
Verified Member
Website

It's not a squeal, it's more of a 'chuff' (only word I could think of to describe it  lol )

www.candodriving.co.uk
DSA ADI since 2004

#5 20-09-14 16:09:31

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Had the same issue before on previous model Fiesta, funnily enough around same mileage. Disappeared after a while and never happened again. After having new discs fitted to a Peugeot 308, same problem after about 10K then disappeared also. Annoying but never caused any problem with examiners.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#6 20-09-14 17:15:42

Mentor
Verified Member

Were the pads changed at the 12.5k service? I have a 13 plate fiesta which developed a brake squeal after the pads were changed. Mechanic threw the anti squeal shims out with the old pads and fitted the new ones without shims. Other problems could be pads not held tight enough in the caliper or the splash guard rubbing on the disc. The rubbing would be more of a chuff sound than a squeal.  It is unlikely to be pads bedding in.

#7 20-09-14 18:52:05

Roadmaster
Verified Member

If the examiner is as old as kaf they won't hear it  big_smile

#8 20-09-14 19:24:29

kaf
Verified Member
Website

lol  lol

#9 20-09-14 20:44:38

yorkie
Verified Member
Website

No brake pads weren't changed at service. Ford said the only thing to stop it would be pad and disc change but lease company prob wouldn't go for it

www.candodriving.co.uk
DSA ADI since 2004

Board footer