You are not logged in.

#1 28-08-14 15:06:15

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Cameras allowed on tests

DVSA has concluded its review of the policy on filming driving tests. The agency has decided to maintain its general policy of not allowing the recording of theory or practical tests.

However, cameras fitted for insurance purposes will be allowed providing they: 

are external facing and do not film the inside of the vehicle;

do not record audio from the inside of the vehicle.

DVSA will under no circumstances accept, comment on, or review audio or video footage provided by a test candidate or third party to facilitate a challenge to the conduct of any theory or practical test or its result.  Any footage received in connection with an allegation of criminal activity or intent will be referred to the police.

Thanks to Unite union driving instructors branch, who has been pushing both DVSA and the transport minister for over 6 months on this issue, we can now protect our property and pupils whilst on tests.

28-08-14 15:06:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cameras allowed on tests

#2 28-08-14 18:41:56

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Can you supply a link or copy of info.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-08-14 18:51:30

Roadmaster
Verified Member

It isn't on any website yet, it was sent by email from Mark Magee to the associations, copy below:

RE: DVSA to review policy on use of cameras on driving tests.

All,

DVSA has concluded its review of the policy on filming driving tests. The agency has decided to maintain its general policy of not allowing the recording of theory or practical tests.

However, cameras fitted for insurance purposes will be allowed providing they:

· are external facing and do not film the inside of the vehicle;
· do not record audio from the inside of the vehicle.

DVSA will under no circumstances accept, comment on, or review audio or video footage provided by a test candidate or third party to facilitate a challenge to the conduct of any theory or practical test or its result. Any footage received in connection with an allegation of criminal activity or intent will be referred to the police.

Regards

Mark

Mark Magee | Registrar and Director
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | The Axis, 112 Upper Parliament Street, Nottingham NG1 6LP
Phone: 0115 936 6363 Mobile: 07976 538842

#4 28-08-14 20:32:57

kaf
Verified Member
Website

haha, mine has filmed every test for two years, dont think any of the DE's has ever noticed it is there!

#5 29-08-14 07:10:47

AUTAX
Verified Member

Have you turned off the announcement kaf?

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#6 29-08-14 07:26:40

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I have two cameras.  The rear one doesn't make any sound and I've only ever had to turn that off once when I visited a TC in the next town.  My front camera plays a tune on startup, but there's a microphone symbol on it which is red when the sound is off, but the rear one doesn't give any indication.

I can foresee some arguments from examiners who are twitchy about whether the sound has been turned off or not, and it's only a matter of time before someone uses a recording to back up a claim.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 29-08-14 15:44:00

kaf
Verified Member
Website

AUTAX wrote:

Have you turned off the announcement kaf?

Yes, it's annoying ,I just have the switching off announcement active.

#8 30-08-14 11:49:22

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I find even the switch/off/on announcement annoying on my BlackVues, but it's comforting to know I'll have some visual evidence in the event of an 'incident', despite the actual video not really being as good as one should expect (artifacts, sun glare, dashboard reflections etc).

Our examiners know I have cameras running on tests (during one test we discussed the virtues of the GoPro cameras on motorbikes) and they've told me that some other ADIs have them as well, but they have no issues if they are aimed externally and sound recording is disabled.
I'm sure they would refuse to consider video evidence in the case of a claim by a failed candidate - I would rather they did consider video evidence but I can see their point of view too.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 31-08-14 09:09:23

russchaplin2410
Verified Member
Website

I hear tales from test candidates about things an examiner has said which I always take with a pinch of salt. Filming the inside of the vehicle would allow us to know what exactly has been said to pupils particularly with regard to late or unclear directions leading to faults. Imagine how much time would be taken up trying to watch these things. I think it would make the examiners a bit paranoid too.

I'm Russ Chaplin. I teach driving in the Nottingham area. I am also a driving instructor trainer. visit me at driving lessons Nottingham

#10 01-09-14 20:15:42

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Mine is external facing and audio off, and when I remember to unplug it I do but haven't been told about it if I have left it running.
I am thinking of buying one for rear in next few weeks.

Board footer