You are not logged in.

#1 24-08-14 10:38:25

Triplea35
Verified Member

One of those days! Use of Duals!

Ok last lesson yesterday after a long and tiring week.

Pupil just about test ready, if she would just get her theory done!, so has big breaks in lessons, hadn't seen for three weeks. Wanted to do a mock test, failed last one with a couple of minors and getting 'caught' in a box junction. If anything I think she is starting to get over confident.

So nice drive to TC and off we go on a mock test. All going well for first 15 minutes and then starts Indy drive following directions the last of which was right third exit at roundabout.

(Now this roundabout approach is one of the most difficult in our test area/routes. On approach the lane divides into two some distance away and it is best to get into the outer lane early, there is a ped x not far from the r/bout and easy to get caught in Lane 1 and difficult to get over. Also just after ped x  there is quite a sharp incline upto the r/bout, vision is restricted particularly ahead but also to the right until fairly close.

I cover it with pupils and encourage them to slow to virtual stop with first gear approach. During tests/lessons a few have tried it in 2nd and I feel its more luck than management if they get away with it or as is often the case they stall as they slow and then try to move away again.)

So back to test, pupil approaches rb, very late in getting over, still in 3rd gear and at last moment on incline changes down to second. See car to our right moving slightly as if to go straight ahead across us and my pupil was clearly going to 'go for it'. I dualled her, I felt I had  left it as long as I could, we ended up slightly into the rb, but I was just not happy with the approach or her decision to go.

As soon as we did stop, I saw  the car to our right did in fact stop giving way to blocking vehicles from ahead which I and I'm pretty certain the pupil could not have seen.

Pupil instantly furious that I had dualled her stating that she could have gone, and in hindsight yes she could. So basically end of mock, and a long discussion on incident, where I suggested that it was a lack of planning and speed on approach which  where contributory factors and I considered her decision making to be unsafe. Pupil remained adamant she was safe to go, comments like her partner would have gone for it etc . Although she calmed down not convinced for one minute that she accepted my reasons for dualling her.

Would an examiner have let her go? possibly,  I know when sitting in on test I have been known to react a fraction earlier than the examiner.

Just a rant really, but do you ever get those moments that a pupil can get you to doubt your own abilities and stress you out for your day off! ?

24-08-14 10:38:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: One of those days! Use of Duals!

#2 24-08-14 11:20:04

Evan
Administrator

"As soon as we did stop, I saw  the car to our right did in fact stop giving way to blocking vehicles from ahead which I and I'm pretty certain the pupil could not have seen."

You made the right decision as far as I am concerned, maybe her partner would have gone, but lets be honest, how many times does he go when maybe he shouldn't?

#3 24-08-14 13:09:32

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Your car, your insurance, your livelihood.

No argument.

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instinct.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#4 24-08-14 17:30:08

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I would tell her that its not her opinion that matters!
Its the ex' and he would have stopped her as well.
You did right.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 24-08-14 17:47:03

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Every day we all see FLHs make what would be serious mistakes on a test, many of which may not have resulted in an accident. Luckily her partner and many others who commit these faults don't have to take the driving test roll

Last edited by RobC (24-08-14 17:47:24)

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#6 24-08-14 18:20:33

johnp
Verified Member

She should have expected it if she made you feel uncomfortable or doubtful.
My view is if they are not approaching correctly, they are not ready for the roundabout (or test)

If I or other passengers are going to feel nervous then expect to fail.

That is the primary question .
How do my passengers think about my driving? (must be from bus driving, is it a smooth and comfortable ride?)

Last edited by johnp (24-08-14 18:22:21)

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#7 25-08-14 05:48:32

AUTAX
Verified Member

You don't still Shout, "Move down the bus please!" or "Any more tickets?!" to your students? smile

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#8 25-08-14 08:44:00

Evan
Administrator

Why can't some pupils just accept when they are wrong, learn from it and move on? After all we are trying to help them and prevent a possible accident in the future. It seems that some can only take compliments and being bragged up, but not criticism.

#9 25-08-14 13:30:26

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

Absolutly made the correct decision.

You were in the car, you analised the circumstances at that time, you must trust your professional, experienced decision.

Its good, however, that you pupil questioned your decision as this definately needed a debrief.

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

#10 25-08-14 21:18:28

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I agree with ADIALAN.

There is no such thing as a "perfect ADI", we all make mistakes at times (even UFOs supposedly built & piloedt by super-advanced civilisations, have been said to crash).

I made a boo-boo once when with a 60-year-old ex-FLH with a medical condition, occupational therapist in the rear seat.
When I briefed him for the emergency stop I neglected to tell him to stop in the normal road position, not parked against the kerb (always done on a very quiet road with no following traffic).
When I gave the directions to stop he yanked the wheel violently towards the kerb, I instinctively dualled in case we slammed into it and got an earful of invective in return.
He was VERY upset that I hadn't trusted him (an experienced driver), to not hit the kerb.
I explained that it was instinctive on my part after teaching learners the past 19 years, and it was my car.
I apologised for not fully briefing him, but not for dualling him.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer