You are not logged in.

#1 06-08-14 22:36:26

Lemonany

Learner Driver Pain

I've been learning to drive for just over a month and i keep getting a pain in my shoulder when i change gears (particularly when going to 2nd) and disengaging the handbrake. Suffice to say i'm quite short and have to sit close to the steering wheel, hence the extra movement i guess. I don't want to get an automatic licence (i don't want to limit the amount of vehicles i can drive).

Is this common? If so does it get better? Do you think getting a longer gear shaft/knob would help?

My instructors car is a Nissan Micra 2010+ or newer (i think) and mine is the 2003 model (i'm planning to take my test in my car).

Thank you for your time,

Lemonany

Last edited by Lemonany (07-08-14 00:17:44)

06-08-14 22:36:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learner Driver Pain

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-08-14 16:16:06

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Not an issue that I have come across before.

Possibly you have an underlying shoulder issue that is only presenting when in certain positions?

All I can suggest is experimenting with seating position and gear change technique with your instructor to see if you can find a solution.

Long term maybe the micra is not the ideal car for you if you get this problem?

#3 07-08-14 18:45:29

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Is your Micra the same shape as your instructor's.
I ask because the K11 model was still being sold in 2003 and the K12 (the next shape started to be sold in 2003.
The 2 models are very different in shape, dimensions and driving position.

#4 07-08-14 19:34:56

martin Williams
Verified Member

You could buy a left hand drive car. big_smile

Last edited by martin Williams (07-08-14 19:38:59)

#5 07-08-14 21:08:52

la.monikita
Verified Member

How close do you sit to the steering wheel? Make sure that when you sit back, and your knee is slightly bent to reach the clutch, your both wrist can rest on the top of the wheel, with stretched arms. Because if you're too close your arm movement might be restricted going too far back , hence giving you a problem. Do you get a pain in your leg muscles too?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 07-08-14 21:18:49

la.monikita
Verified Member

Check out this video http://www.drivinghelp.com/Pages/Controls_Cockpit-Drill Look at the  number 3 for steering. Also the car in the video is a Fiat 500 that has a gear stick further in front. wink Let us know how you get on.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#7 08-08-14 22:14:30

Gordonline
Verified Member

#Kaf..."Possibly you have an underlying shoulder issue that is only presenting when in certain positions"

I would suggest that you check the flexibility in both your shoulders, (try and see if you can place your left hand behind your neck/between your shoulder blades with your left elbow pointing towards the ceiling and your right hand behind your back between your shoulder blades with your right elbow pointing towards the floor, see if your finger tips touch and if they do you have good flexibility) you can alternate your arms but one way will be easier depending if you're right/left handed
Also maybe worth doing some stretching especially prior to your driving lessons which will help warm your shoulder up, you might be tense without realizing it so try to relax whilst doing your driving

Hope that helps

Gordon  smile

The Glass is Always Half Full !!!!

#8 09-08-14 00:05:23

Lemonany

Kaf - I've made an appointment to see if it is medical. I'm hoping i wont have to get rid of my car, I've only had her 3 weeks sad

Pegasus - Mine is the K12 model, my instructors is the K13 model.

La.Monikita - I have to sit pretty close, i'm 5'3 and always wear flats. I sit as far back as i can whilst still being able to reach the pedals/steering wheel. I don't get pain in my leg muscles.

Gordonline - I can indeed interlock my fingers behind my back over my shoulders, both ways. I'll try your suggestion of stretching before driving, and the tension, i don't think i'll be able to get rid of that, with my instructor at least, but i'll try.

Thank you for your help and suggestions guys smile

Last edited by Lemonany (09-08-14 00:07:42)

Board footer