You are not logged in.

#1 17-07-14 16:50:54

AUTAX
Verified Member

Position of Passenger Rear View Mirror

When I first started teaching, I was always aware of the position of my
passenger side mirror being half filled with my head, because of my height,
and also when the sun visor was down obscuring the mirror.

Following a windscreen replacement the gap between the driver's rear view mirror
allowed me to fit the passenger mirror mirror in that gap.
No more me in the mirror and when the sun visor was down I could still see behind me.

Then I changed cars and up until my latest Peugeot 308 there was not enough
room to fit the extra mirror. Now I can once again fit my mirror there and with
this glorious weather it is a boon to be able to use the sun visor and still see behind unobscured.

Well, I took a pupil on test today and her examiner is not a very friendly faced guy.
Very distant in his manner and once said to one of my pupils, "I will not be talking during the test!".
Did nothing for the pup's nerves. When my pupil got back off test. passed,
the examiner remarked as he got out that my mirror had fallen off because of the heat.

Got in and she said he had been complaining that my mirror was not in the correct place,
in front of him, and removed my eyeball mirror and tried to refis it elsewhere.
This is the one that eventually ended up on the floor.

Now what does the Team think? Does anyone have their mirror above the driver's mirror?
Should the examiner have repositioned the mirror as he did? (His moaning was a bit distracting.)

I did ring him later and told him the position of the mirror allows me to have the sun visor
down which to me is more of a safety factor rather than be blinded by the sun so can't see properly
back or front. He said the mirror heeds to be in line of sight. I am the only one who has the mirror
in that position. I countered by saying that he is the only one that has complained.

So to settle the matter I have decided to provide an extra extra mirror just in case I get him again.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

17-07-14 16:50:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Position of Passenger Rear View Mirror

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-07-14 17:31:39

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
You could point out to him that there is only a requirement for an extra mirror.

Cars presented for test must be fitted with a passenger seatbelt, passenger head
restraint and an interior mirror for the examiner's use. A spare stick-on interior mirror
should be kept at the driving test centre

If their own mirror kept in the TC is sufficient then the position of your mirror isn't defined.

#3 17-07-14 18:05:25

kaf
Verified Member
Website

He can stick HIS mirror wherever he likes....................................YOUR mirror on the other hand!

#4 17-07-14 18:29:59

MGM
Verified Member

Why provide an extra mirror? What's to stop him moving it?

I've actually tried positioning my mirror as you suggest, and it was much better. However, I found it distracting when I was in the driving seat, and I suspected the pupils would too, so I gave up. I will now try again.

For what it's worth, police cars seem to use that position for their passenger mirror, so it must work for them.

#5 17-07-14 20:06:06

AUTAX
Verified Member

I've never had a pupil complain and I've had a few nit pickers in my time.
His argument seemed to be that the mirror should be in line of sight
so as to view the front and back view simultaneously.

I have always thought that if you go up against an examiner, right or wrongly,
you run the risk of him being more stringent with your pupil than they would normally be.

#6 17-07-14 20:07:38

AUTAX
Verified Member

The point about moving it is it's not his business to reposition it.

Like altering the heater/AC controls without the driver's permission.
And what learner is going to say no to an examiner?

#7 17-07-14 21:30:57

Lynne
Verified Member

Years ago I had the same DE 7 times on the trot.  He liked to move my mirror and feeling I was on a roll on getting him got fed up with moving it back..I could see well enough.

He would STILL move it each time.  Didn't have the heart to say "look I left it there from last time you moved it"  He must have re-adjusted it at least 3 times.   roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 17-07-14 21:40:47

trunkmonkey

MGM wrote:

Why provide an extra mirror? What's to stop him moving it?

I've actually tried positioning my mirror as you suggest, and it was much better. However, I found it distracting when I was in the driving seat, and I suspected the pupils would too, so I gave up. I will now try again.

For what it's worth, police cars seem to use that position for their passenger mirror, so it must work for them.

In patrol cars its primary function is as a vanity mirror so the passenger can check how seriously cool he looks  smile

#9 18-07-14 06:06:49

AUTAX
Verified Member

I have my sun visor mirror for that.  smile

Board footer