You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-06-14 08:15:52

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Technology

Is it technology for technology sake?

I have the latest Ipad the newest iphone and an in car camera

My Ipad has all the apps on but I find it quicker and easier to use my trusty colourfile.

Hmmm what's the next thing I can spend my cash on?

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

08-06-14 08:15:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Technology

#2 08-06-14 09:13:58

jackm
Verified Member

Tend to agree with OP. I find a white board and dry wipe markers indispensable.

I think sometimes the high tech solution is slower and less intuitive.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 08-06-14 11:41:51

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

mikerow wrote:

Is it technology for technology sake?

In many cases, I think it probably is.
The reason I don't use a tablet is because none of the apps I've seen suit my area, or purposes, or way of teaching.

I get by quite well with my paper diary & mechanical pencil with eraser, and I'm happy to not have to cough up for an iPad or tablet.
My Android phone stores my 300+ contact details for students, providers, colleagues & government agencies, this is very useful.
Instead of thumbnail portraits for each contact I use graphics that show me who the caller is - e.g. L-plate for students, spanner for a service providers, gearstick pattern for auto-manual conversion clients, world globe for immigrants, medical "Rx" symbol for occupational therapists or medicos, etc.
I'm thinking of making up a hangman's noose icon for when the Australian Tax office calls me.

We don't have an equivalent of your Colourfile down here, but I've produced a heap of laminated diagrams & loose handout sheets especially tailored to my area (I use model cars in Matchbox® & Micro-Miniature sizes to use with my intersection, roundabout and manoeuvring diagrams).
I'm lucky to be blessed with a flair for drawing.
I suppose it's also technology in a way, because I use a PC with drawing software, printer & laminator to produce them.

The only training app I use is the "Clutch Demonstrator" on my Samsung Note 3 phablet - I know I could use the palms of my hands or a pair of magnetic L-plates to do the same job but I find this particular app quite useful, and I like the simulated engine noises too.
Brr-r-r-mmm!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 08-06-14 16:27:19

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

I find the iPhone is really good for diary, contacts, maps, pics, etc.
I've got an iPad which the family bought for me, but I don't use it very much, despite having various ADI apps.  I don't find them that easy and seamless to use.

TBH I don't spend ages doing diagrams and things. I'm sure I SHOULD do more waffle and pics, but my style has evolved into more doing and less talking.  Obviously, if someone really doesn't have the necessary knowledge, then I'll fill in the blanks!  I'll also explore options and ideas and try and get them thinking, rather than offering 'solutions' and right answers. 

I have of course got an amazing learning/teaching tool which covers many different learning styles, relates brilliantly to passing tests and driving afterwards and is multi-sensory.
It's called a car and the road system!   cool

It's a shame the DVSA have been taken over by the academics as now we'll have to make sure we use all the proper catch phrases on the SC! I've spent years cutting out the unnecessary waffle & bull and trying to keep things simple.  When my SC comes along I'll have to add some layers of complexity just to ensure the DE can tick the boxes!
All this 'scaling and mind mapping' are just the latest fashionable 'tools' for those who need techniques.  As one's experience, understanding and competence grows, simplistic tools become much less necessary.  Much like all the wonderful apps and things.  After a while they start to 'get in the way' rather than be helpful.

I do 'believe' in coaching, as in the key principle of people can be naturally competent at learning, especially if our instruction doesn't create blocks and anxieties.  I don't teach anything to anyone, I simply provide a rich and diverse learning environment for them to play in!   cool
"Knowing when to shut up" should be one of the core comps that ADIs are always banging on about! lol

Anyway, some reflections on a sunny Sunday after 'teaching' some chaps to ride motorbikes, and in just 6hrs!  wink  Why do cars take 40+ hrs?  tongue

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#5 08-06-14 17:14:44

AUTAX
Verified Member

40+ hours? That's DVSA speak. Most experienced ADIs teach in the real world.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#6 09-06-14 19:12:36

Lynne
Verified Member

For work my Ipad is generally used for photos I've Google earthed I have to say I have bought apps but hardly use them sad I guess it saves printing off the photos though!

#7 09-06-14 19:42:26

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Glad im not the only one

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

Board footer