You are not logged in.

#1 07-05-14 06:40:19

astill

Attitude of other drivers to learners

Hi All

First post here - although a frequent reader

I've been instructing for about 18 months but yesterday was a shocker of a day.  Not the pupils, who were a mix of experience, but the attitude of other drivers.  I've often had a discussion with pups about how many other drivers were born with licences and never had to learn for themselves, hence they don't understand what it is like learning

But in 7 hours of lessons yesterday, we were *badly* cut up 5 times.  2 by stupid overtakes (yes, we were going *far* too slowly, doing only 38 in a 40 with double solid white lines on one occasion), and twice by cars pulling out from side roads, both of these needing emergency stops.  'Best' was someone who, rather than wait behind us whilst emerging right onto a busy road, thought it would be completely reasonable to swing out to our left and turn right across us. Again, he must have been waiting at least 10 seconds by that time.....

By far the worst day I've had

My question really is whether other instructors here feel that attitudes towards learners has got worse over time

Thanks in advance

Peter

07-05-14 06:40:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Attitude of other drivers to learners

#2 07-05-14 07:18:19

Evan
Administrator

I think a minority of drivers cause the problems to be honest, I can go weeks without a problem, then you get a day or two where you meet the intolerant ones.
I have moved on from worrying about them now, it may not even be that they are always like this, sometimes they are people just having a bad day. Friday afternoons I find are bad times for the red mist drivers.
Have attitudes changed towards learners? No more than they have in other areas of society, we live in a world of "Me, me, me", of very little manners and where intollerance of others is the norm, so I don't really expect anything from anyone, afterall, its old fashioned to have manners!

#3 07-05-14 07:43:26

AUTAX
Verified Member

Hello Astill, and welcome.

My wife hates having to drive my SoM car. Not because she doesn't like it, on the contrary she loves it. It's the motorists waiting to emerge that suddenly make a dash for it when they see a SoM car approach. They don't look to see if there is only one person in the car.

This never happens when the top box is removed or if she is driving our Z3.

I'm afraid you will have to get used to this sort of behaviour or you will be heading for a nervous breakdown before long. Unfortunately, there is a disdain amongst some road users towards ADIs and learner drivers in general. A very sad situation.  sad

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#4 09-05-14 20:21:35

daveracc

I blame all these problems , not on the other drivers, but on Harry Potter. Obviously his cloak of invisibility has mutated and now affects headboards.So the other drivers are not at fault as we are invisible roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 11-05-14 14:44:40

russchaplin2410
Verified Member
Website

Last week was the worst week I've ever had for other drivers acting aggressively towards me and my pupils. It was downright nasty in a couple of cases. I think that attitudes get worse after school holidays when all the traffic is back on the road and journey times are longer. Most drivers do seem to be pretty tolerant overall though.

I'm Russ Chaplin. I teach driving in the Nottingham area. I am also a driving instructor trainer. visit me at driving lessons Nottingham

#6 11-05-14 22:08:34

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

It's very bad down here where we have an American style "cult of the car".
This place is booming with a multi-billion gas project by the giant Japanese Inpex Corporation- workers are coming in from other Australian states to work on the LPG plant construction site.
They are all over the place in big powerful 4WD pickup trucks and drive very agressively.

Motor vehicles tend to bring out the worst traits in people:
   Selfishness
   Inconsideration
   Aggressiveness & bullying
   Un-needed competiveness
   Inflated sense of self-importance in relation to other road users

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer