You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-01-14 15:20:46

favershamdesigns
Website

Your Web Sites

Hello,

I am a new member on here. We've recently developed a new web site for one of our clients, who is a driving instructor.

The site is almost ready to launch but I've been on this site and others, doing some research for the project.

I wanted to know how successful you found your existing web site and whether you get more business through that or through word of mouth referrals?

I suspect that over the last ten years, word of mouth referalls have dropped and more business has been coming through the web site. Is this the general feeling?

Kind regards

James

Faversham Designs
Lease your small business web site with full search engine optimisation for just 10 per month

www.favershamdesigns.co.uk

12-01-14 15:20:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Your Web Sites

#2 12-01-14 15:49:12

ger
Verified Member
Website

hi most of my work still comes from referalls not a lot from my website

ger

#3 12-01-14 15:51:05

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Not in my experience, most new pupils are referrals and via social media. Websites = old technology :-)

#4 12-01-14 15:52:21

favershamdesigns
Website

Hi ger,

Do you mind sharing your web site on here?

Faversham Designs
Lease your small business web site with full search engine optimisation for just 10 per month

#5 12-01-14 15:59:26

VandADI
Administrator

favershamdesigns - it's great that you have come on here to give free help and advice to our members.  Just to remind you that although your help is very much appreciated, you must bear in mind the forum rules and that you haven't joined the forum to promote your product/services.  smile

#6 12-01-14 16:29:34

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Just checked Church Oast BandB website, no pricing info, tried to contact you via LiveChat, no response !

I think the mods ought to remove this thinly disguised advert.

#7 12-01-14 16:33:39

favershamdesigns
Website

Hi Sofasurfer,

I'm guessing you are Nigel? Sorry, I had popped out of the office for 10 minutes and forgot to disconnect the live help system.

Are you looking for pricing for the B&B or for our pricing? Our pricing is all on our web site...

Kind regards

James

Faversham Designs

#8 12-01-14 16:48:37

sofasurfer
Verified Member

You only get one chance with a visitor to a website and you blew it :-(

#9 12-01-14 16:58:58

VandADI
Administrator

As I say, I appreciate your FREE advice and help to our members, but please, no touting for business.  wink
If you do wish to promote your services/advertise your company, contact me direct and I will give you a quote on one of our advertising boxes at the top of this forum.

#10 12-01-14 17:02:33

favershamdesigns
Website

Hi Sofasurfer,

Sorry that we missed you. Hope that it's not completely put you off of us but I understand if it has.

Have a good evening  smile

Faversham Designs

#11 12-01-14 17:23:42

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Surely as a web design/SEO company you already know the answers to the questions you're asking!

Once you know the principles which work well when using the internet for marketing, you can apply this to ANY business or service.

If you have other clients and have done well for them, then what's so "different" about your driving instructor? Just do for them what you do for your other clients. I run a driving school, but I also make a very decent supplemental income through copywriting and e-commerce...I use the same promotional methods with everything I do, simply tailoring them as necessary.

However, if I WAS thinking of employing a web design/SEO company, I'd be extremely worried if I found out they were trawling around industry messageboards "doing some research for the project" and "making sure that we get the SEO right and to see what other methods of advertising we can use to help promote his business."...I'd expect someone offering a professional service to already KNOW!

As Vanda said, we get web designers, SEO gurus and internet marketing boffins "popping in" here on a wave of altruism just bursting to "help" us all on a wearily regular basis...of course, they all say they're not peddling their own wares, but they never seem to stick around once someone questions their intent!

Your signature is nothing more than an advert for your company and services...to join a site that carries paid advertising and where the owner has already very politely questioned your motives (or in other words "dropped you a very broad hint") and to then carry on regardless seems to me like a bit of a cheek  roll

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#12 12-01-14 17:33:39

favershamdesigns
Website

Hi Loopy,

Thank you for your reply.

We put our web site link in the signature because well, that's what a lot of people do on forums and we put the same information in our signature on all of the message boards that we use. It's just standard practise.

As for research, this is a market that we have not entered into before. We like to fully research the markets that we work in. You are right in that a lot of the work we do can be used in all markets, however there are obviously some things that are specific to each area. We have been using other members web sites to research what works well on driving instructor web sites. Some are really good sites, others are not.

There are web designers out there who will just make up a site, regardless of the business sector, and whack it up online. We like to do a bit more research than that and that's probably why we have a good history of making successful sites that positively impact our customers' businesses.

Some years ago we produced an online store for a catering supply company. We could have easily just created an online shop and put their products into it but we found out a great deal about what worked, and what didn't, by researching the market first.

We wanted to know if things had changed in the last 10 years, in terms of where customers come from for driving instructors, so that we can look into the other ways of advertising services.

Sofasurfer (above) said that most of his clients come through social media. I was expecting most to come through directly from web sites. Ger said most of his come through word of mouth referrals. I didn't think this would still be the case. It certainly was when I learnt to drive many years ago, so I was surprised by his answer. All useful research for us because it helps us target things and it also allows us to provide more accurate estimates to our client, on what sort of affects the new site will have.

Sorry, that was a lot longer than expected!  smile

Faversham Designs

#13 12-01-14 18:15:12

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

As far as forum signature links go, there's two "real" reasons why people leave them:

1) As a backlink for SEO purposes (not that Google values that sort of thing these days and if you do it indiscriminately, you're likely to irk Google to put it mildly)
2) To encourage visitors to go to the linked website.

Standard practice? Yes...pre-2012. Nowadays, not really - unless you're trying to encourage visitors, which obviously anyone promoting a service would be pretty keen to do  tongue

As for your "research", as I said before, I'm 100% sure you don't need to ask ANY questions on a forum like this in order to effectively market your client's business. Ascertaining how consumers find a service provider really isn't rocket science and doesn't require an in depth analysis.

I'd lay odds that the average "bloke/lady in the street" could work out that personal recommendation still plays a big part in consumer choice - in fact, I'd say that this is a pretty massive factor! For those who don't have that element of "trusted recommendation", searching for a service provider online using websites/social media via a variety of devices has largely replaced the traditional phone book/Yellow Pages/Thomson Local/ adverts in local newspapers/card in the window of the corner shop etc. So what is there that needs to be "researched"?

Last edited by Loopy Lou (12-01-14 18:17:39)

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 12-01-14 22:35:08

VandADI
Administrator

favershamdesigns wrote:

All useful research for us because it helps us target things and it also allows us to provide more accurate estimates to our client, on what sort of affects the new site will have.

If it is research you wanted, there is a "search" facility on this forum which you are quite welcome to use.
As Loopy Lou has said,we get web designers, SEO gurus and internet marketing boffins "popping in" here on a wave of altruism just bursting to "help" us all on a wearily regular basis, so there are many threads on this particular subject so you will probably find all the research answers you are looking for just by taking a bit of time doing a bit of research for yourself.

#15 13-01-14 08:58:12

favershamdesigns
Website

Hi VandADI,

I've been using the search facility and as I mentioned, I've been looking at various member's web sites through the profile search facility. It's been very helpful seeing which keywords people use, what designs they are using and which additional features are used on their sites.

Loopy Lou - I would still argue that it is standard practise. If you go on to most forums, people do put signature links in. Although you appear to take the cynical view tongue I would say that a lot of people do it just to share what they do with the rest of the community. In the same way that I have used links on members signatures and profiles on this site to see what their sites, I'm sure other people do it too.

As I said before about the research, it's a standard and useful way to way to get information about a market which we have not worked in before.

If me having my signature link is causing too much offence then I will happily remove it. I didn't come here to antagonise anyone, it really was just to get some help from the members on here and provide some help of my own if I can.

Faversham Designs

#16 13-01-14 16:43:48

AUTAX
Verified Member

Personally, I have a website, that I designed myself, and find it attracts more business for my Automatic side of the business than the Manual side. That is finishing this March so all referrals for Manual based will be passed on. Because Automatic Tuition only is more of a niche market then I will rely more on my website.

And no, I don't want any help thank you.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#17 13-01-14 18:04:24

favershamdesigns
Website

Hi Autax,

That's pretty interesting and just the sort of information that's helpful to us. I wonder why that is the case? Do you have any ideas?

Kind regards

James

Faversham Designs

#18 13-01-14 19:30:23

martin Williams
Verified Member

As an ADI I get calls almost daily from companies like yourself. The most annoying thing is that they never ever leave a message and most are from ' Unknown numbers'. I do not want any of these calls so they go straight onto the blocked list.
I know you are doing all you can to promote your business but posting here will not be of any benefit to you at all. Hopefully you will get a quote and consider an Add at the top of page as VandADI has suggested.

Last edited by martin Williams (13-01-14 19:31:29)

#19 13-01-14 23:14:45

AUTAX
Verified Member

Because i want to go into semi retirement I will not be renewing my manual lease. I intend to only take on students that want Automatic Tuition and because the percentage of these students is small compared to manual, even though automatic cars are the future, then referrals will not be enough. I have to rely on other forms of advertising and my website comes up on the first page when "Automatic Driving Lessons in [my home town] or any of the large cities/town near me.

But as i said, I am not looking for work but just a steady trickle to allow more time dedicated to golf. So you are pushing an open door with me.  smile

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 25-02-14 11:53:13

Roly Annett
Website

Good anawer Loopy!  I got my website built for me - I know nothing about what is good and what is not good.  All I know is that I paid for the site, the designer then waited to see where my site "settled" (on page 6 of google!) then he started SEO-ing (don't know if that is the term!) the site for keywords - Driving Lessons Crawley, Driving Instructor Crawley and Driving School Crawley.  After only 5 weeks I was at the top of google, in the top 3 for those searches.  That allowed me to leave the other driving school I was paying £250 pm to (regardless of how many clients they sent me).  Since then I have been paying the designer to keep me at the top.  He's not let me down and I have more work than I can handle.  I'm even thinking of bringing on an extra driver now but I don't know if I want the extra hassle!

Loopy Lou wrote:

Surely as a web design/SEO company you already know the answers to the questions you're asking!

Once you know the principles which work well when using the internet for marketing, you can apply this to ANY business or service.

If you have other clients and have done well for them, then what's so "different" about your driving instructor? Just do for them what you do for your other clients. I run a driving school, but I also make a very decent supplemental income through copywriting and e-commerce...I use the same promotional methods with everything I do, simply tailoring them as necessary.

However, if I WAS thinking of employing a web design/SEO company, I'd be extremely worried if I found out they were trawling around industry messageboards "doing some research for the project" and "making sure that we get the SEO right and to see what other methods of advertising we can use to help promote his business."...I'd expect someone offering a professional service to already KNOW!

As Vanda said, we get web designers, SEO gurus and internet marketing boffins "popping in" here on a wave of altruism just bursting to "help" us all on a wearily regular basis...of course, they all say they're not peddling their own wares, but they never seem to stick around once someone questions their intent!

Your signature is nothing more than an advert for your company and services...to join a site that carries paid advertising and where the owner has already very politely questioned your motives (or in other words "dropped you a very broad hint") and to then carry on regardless seems to me like a bit of a cheek  roll

#21 25-02-14 13:23:51

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Yes Roley if you have a good web designer, leave it to him or her to settle the SEO side of things.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#22 10-03-14 09:40:11

tuscanv6
Website

I don't understand why James, who is obviously from a web-savvy company (Faversham Designs), would ask Ger to share his website when it is already clearly linked from the link in the profile that says 'Website'...

Also, having been in this game for 17 years, you can't do 'full search engine optimisation' for 10/month.

This link here http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.bozeat- … k/vuD4Z3ir displays how poorly optimised Faversham Design's websites are. A Pagespeed score of 33% is abysmal. This is one of the sites in their porfolio.

SEO is an evolving discipline that requires a lot of work: I know, because I have 2 websites that (combined) do over 3 million page views per month and I spend a lot of time and money keeping them a number one in Google for around 250 search terms.

Sorry James, your service and methodology looks like a scam to me.

Darren

#23 10-03-14 20:52:11

Mentor
Verified Member

Tried that tool in the above post and got 85% score on my websites. I do my own design and seo work and have 3 hits on the first page of Google for all driving school searches in my area. It isn't rocket science and anyone can do it with a bit of research. My diary is full and I am having to decline work that the websites are generating.

Board footer