You are not logged in.

#1 04-03-14 13:34:59

Neckender

Hello everybody.

I have been DSA LGV Instructor for 5 years now, previous to this I was a Driving Instructor in the British Army. I am also a SaFED instructor and advanced driver.

My future aspirations are to become a ADI and then move on to Fleet trainer.

I am also looking at the diploma in driver education or even a degree in the same subject.

So I would love any advice, recommendations or even experiences you can offer.

Thanks.

"Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either"

DSA LGV Inst,DSA ADI,SaFED Inst,IAM Advanced Car & Commercial,PTLLS,RoSPA Dip.

04-03-14 13:34:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hello everybody.

#2 04-03-14 14:43:56

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum, their are lots of members who will help you and give advice.

Regards
Giz smile

#3 04-03-14 14:44:11

Harry_Dylan

Hi neckender, Like you I was in the Army and before leaving trained and qualified as an ADI, which I am currently doing in Bristol.
Many companies out there will willingly take your money, but the training can be un-structured and leaving you clueless as to what's expected in an ADI exam, and they've already taken your hard earned cash.
My best advice is before you do anything, have an informal chat with Phil Hirst at AIM Instructor Training in Harrogate telephone 07711238555, or look at the website.
He is an ex-Major, and will steer you in the right direction. I can guarantee you that you will get first class ADI training and preparation at value for money prices, as well as Phil being a top man.
Good Luck, Chris Bool

#4 04-03-14 23:26:44

ralge
Verified Member

That seems like a plan!
In the fleet/qualified driver training world HGV experience is at a premium, I believe. (Any fool like me can train in a car/van/minibus!)
So with ADI and Fleet behind you I reckon you could be in demand if you are prepared to put yourself about a bit.
Assuming driver CPC will continue ... another course and qualification you might look at, rather than the Diploma, is PTLLS Level 4 - this would allow you to work as a classroom CPC trainer/presenter as well as giving you opportunities for NDAC/Speed/Driving for Change/what's driving us course presentation.
None of this, though, is likely to land in your lap without pushing at a few doors (and having most of them smack you in your face).
Best of luck.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#5 05-03-14 07:32:34

Neckender

Wow, day one and all this advice is brilliant!!!

ralge, thanks for the welcome. I have PTLLS already very good course, I personnally took I lot from it and I recommend it to any driver trainers I meet (a lot of them need it, they're not trainers just PowerPoint repeaters). I actually think it should be a legal requirement to teach.
The plan is to make myself more employable or even go self employed but I have a large family and a big mortgage to pay so thats a bit scarey if i'm honest. I assessed a bloke who was a ADI/Fleet trainer and he said that the Fleet trainer was a licence to print money, any truth in this?

Chris, thanks also for welcome and thanks for the contact, I like to deal with ex forces people!!

Giz, you were right there is an abundance of knowledge and experiences on this forum.

"Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either"

DSA LGV Inst,DSA ADI,SaFED Inst,IAM Advanced Car & Commercial,PTLLS,RoSPA Dip.

Board footer