You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-12-13 13:47:41

Laurence Jacquemin ADI
Verified Member
Website

HGV Licence - Is it worth getting the training?

I'm contemplating if I should do some training to get a HGV licence to add to my on road experience and potential be able to do some HGV driving as an extra source of income, it could also open doors for being a HGV trainer in a few years time, however the course is quite a lot.

So for those of you who have a licence to drive HGV's would you say it was a worth while investment, even though your main occupation is as an ADI (presumably).

19-12-13 13:47:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HGV Licence - Is it worth getting the training?

#2 19-12-13 17:14:20

Mentor
Verified Member

I did mine, did a little HGV work on the side for a while but have not used it for 2 years. The CPD requirement from Sept 2014 is making me wonder if it is worth paying the money and spending the time to get my 35 hours requirement.

#3 19-12-13 17:45:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

Its always good as an investment for the future if not for now
Many employers/agencies want you to have experience/hold the licence for 2 years before they look at you!

There is also the legal requirements if doing both ADI and LGV work in the same week as the weekly rest rules must be adhered to

The trucknetuk site has much on all the issues regarding LGV driving full or part time

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#4 23-01-14 19:06:00

paulweller84

In my personal experience I would say yes, go for it. I used to work as a van driver earning a pretty poor wage. I did my C & C+E training in 2008 to earn a better living and since October 2012 I have been working as a DSA approved LGV instructor for the Ministry of Defence. Being an LGV instructor is a great job, I really enjoy it. From the driving jobs I did I would say supermarket work was probably the best, decent money and not particularly strenuous. If you don't mind nights out and long trips maybe consider containers. Just be aware that if you do C+E a lot of companies require two years experience, and this can be a catch 22 situation if no one will give you a job. I was lucky enough to get offered a position on a recommendation. Category C is easier to find work in, and a good way to build experience.

#5 23-01-14 21:40:04

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
If you want to do it as another job you need the CPC top up of 35 hrs per 5yrs, but apparently if you just want to wait the 4yrs and then do instruction on C or C1 you don't have to do the CPC. roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 24-01-14 16:38:45

paulweller84

pegasus wrote:

Hi
If you want to do it as another job you need the CPC top up of 35 hrs per 5yrs, but apparently if you just want to wait the 4yrs and then do instruction on C or C1 you don't have to do the CPC. roll

Only three years to wait, although how good an instructor would you be if you hadn't driven apart from on your own training with a three year gap in the middle?! Technically you can though, the DSA equivalent of ADI is a voluntary registration. Crazy

Board footer