You are not logged in.

#1 05-07-05 15:02:39

pinky

Kia Picanto-opinions please!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these boards for a while, and passed Part 3 on my second attempt two weeks ago, phew!!

I've read so much excellent advice already from you wise people, and would like to ask for your opinion on the Kia Picanto as a school car. Or any other suggestions re car choice.

I tried a Corsa but found the view seriously restricted by the front pillars and shoulder checks when moving off rewarded me with a close-up view of the seatbelt attachment.

I also test-drove a Mini, it has fantastic visibilty due to much more vertically-placed pillars, and also better blindspot view. Very expensive though extremely adorable!

I'm after a car that has a fun/funky image and is nippy and easy to drive, has good visibility and is also (obviously) cheap to run.

Also I've never bought a new car before, so any tips on haggling with dealers?     

Thanks, pinky

05-07-05 15:02:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Kia Picanto-opinions please!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 05-07-05 16:13:21

-=IceMan=-
Website

No specific advise re the Kia, but here's some for negotiating with the dealerships.

1. The UK dealer markup is, on average 16.5% - Work out what the cost of the car, -16.5% is, then you know what the base cost to work from in negotiating is.

2. Don't just negotiate in raw £££, negotiate some of the optional extras into the deal

3. It's not all going to happen in a day, start off by test driving, then show some (limited) interest. Give them contact details, they WILL chase you.

4. Go away for a bit (a couple of days, say you have other vehicles to look at as well as his) and then after those couple of days, go back in to talk to the sales exec who you first dealt with, make him an initial offer (make it low and pretty demanding, remember the art is to meet in the middle) it won't be accepted, discuss for a bit, give a little ground (make it look like he's really draining the coppers from you with each bit of ground you give but you must be hard and not give too much too soon). If you're not getting anywhere near what you'd like then walk away, citing the need to check finances

5. Await the phone call, it most likely will come. Give it three days, if nothing then call them and give a little more ground, yes this is drawn out but you will get a good deal eventually, at the end of the day, they want to sell you a car, you don't have to buy it, there are plenty more suppliers / marques out there, therefore the power is with you.

6. Use bargaining tools, for example: If you give me £xxx and electric xxx then I'll make sure that every service for the first xx years or yy miles is with your dealership (remember services are money for the dealer) and / or all repairs are done with you.

It may sound complicated, but with a little effort great results can be achieved. For example I once got a new Toyota Carina E with 15% off the price, plus electric windows all round and alloy wheels but agreed to have it serviced at their dealership. Technically they actually lost money on the initial cost of the car and extras but would have gained in the long run due to the servicing charges. That took about 2 weeks to broker.

Above all have fun, as I said, you don't have to buy their car and they know it. Play them and enjoy it!

event.png
Time is all relative. Grab a hot pan and an instant feels like an hour. Grab a hot woman and an hour feels like an instant.

#3 05-07-05 17:15:50

Tracy
Verified Member
Website

Hi there,
I bought my daughter a Kia Picanto in november last year as her first car and she adores it.
It's got brilliant space in it and feels a lot bigger than it is and it's also great for parking because it's so small. You get a ton of extras and we only paid £5200 for her brand new. Came with central locking, MP3 CD player, power steering, electric windows and so on.
A very nice little car, not sure how it would be for use constantly but she has great mileage on little petrol.
Great wee car

www.thumbbandits.com
The Friendly Video-Gaming Site!

#4 05-07-05 17:16:31

Ozzie

Have a look at www.whatcar.co.uk, and they will give you target prices at what discounts you should be aiming at.

Mini don't do discounts but I was offered free duals.

Once you have chosen what model you are after try www.virgincars.co.uk and then take that to the dealer and go from there.

Oz

#5 05-07-05 21:47:59

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

There are lots of internet brokers offering good deals, so take printouts of these along as a starting point.

As others have said, don't try and do the deal in one day even though they'll tell you that they won't be able to offer such a good deal if you come back later - they will.

I'd take the What Car target price with a pinch of salt, you can usually get better deals than the suggested price.

Even better, pay me to come and haggle for you! I've just got nearly 25% off a brand new Ford Fiesta, from a Ford main dealer.

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#6 06-07-05 09:07:23

pinky

Thanks for your replies, plenty of detail of haggling strategy, I hope I can hold my ground and get a good price.  big_smile

I'm going for a test drive this morning, and will try not to appear too keen.

Jason, how did you get 25% off? If you lived a bit closer to me (Taunton), I'd take you up on your offer-wow!

RRP of the model I want is £6995, seen it listed as £6595, how much lower than that would you start off with? Shall I ask for free fitted duals? Might as well!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 06-07-05 09:31:40

-=IceMan=-
Website

pinky wrote:

RRP of the model I want is £6995, seen it listed as £6595, how much lower than that would you start off with? Shall I ask for free fitted duals? Might as well!

Well I make 6995 / 1.165 = 6004 so start off around the 8,500 mark. Be willing to allow a bit more ground to salesbod if they are willing to do things like fit dual controls....

event.png
Time is all relative. Grab a hot pan and an instant feels like an hour. Grab a hot woman and an hour feels like an instant.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 06-07-05 12:13:05

pinky

Well I make 6995 / 1.165 = 6004 so start off around the 8,500 mark.

Sorry U_S, is this a typo?  :?:  :?

Thanks for your interest!

I drove the car this morning, it looks cute and it's perfectly serviceable - light and manoeuverable, not bad visibility, surprisingly roomy feeling inside, but  takes a bit of time getting used to the indicator stalk on the right hand side.

Didn't have the grin-factor of the Mini tho!

The sales guy was the owner of the garage, he was pretty casual and didn't seem to bother much about if I was gonna buy, just gave me his card. When I asked him the price of the new model (Glamour), he didn't know it, nor did he know if it has alloy wheels as standard (it does).

Hmmm...

#9 06-07-05 12:55:42

-=IceMan=-
Website

Do'h, yeah sorry. I use the numeric pad and 8 is directly above 5 lol. Silly me!

event.png

#10 06-07-05 13:07:35

Kev
Verified Member
Website

I did some test driving for Test drive magazene a couple of months ago.
I drove 4 differant small cars .
The Kia Picanto was my favorite of the lot
the others where  Toyota Aygo, 
Daihatsu Sirion                                 
and the worst of all the new Fiat Panda.

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#11 20-10-05 07:22:26

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

I am looking for a new training car to replace my 307 and have come down to a shortlist of Pug 206 or a return to the Skoda Fabia, the finance deals on the 206 making it favourite.

However noticed a new Kia Rio yesterday and thought it looked fantastic, like a cross between a Mazda and Fiesta.

Am now nosing into this before deciding.

Bounty Hunter - How's the Picanto? What side is the indicator switch on?

Any one else any experience of Kia?

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#12 20-10-05 11:38:49

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

Hi David

I use the Kia Picanto 1.1LX petrol. It's a 5-door hatchback.
Great car. Disc brakes all round / ABS with EBD / Dual Air-bags / Air-con / JVC CD & MP3 player / Electric windows front and back / electric miirrors/ height adjust seatbelts and steering wheel. 3 years unlimited mileage warranty with 3 years RAC cover thrown in, all for £6250 !!!

The new Rio looks nice but i dont have any info. The indicator stalk is on the right-hand side in my Picanto, I assume it's the same in the Rio. My pupils have no trouble with that, in fact, it's easier when needing to change gear and signal, such as at roundabouts, as happens occasionally.

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#13 20-10-05 20:31:09

Bounty Hunter
Verified Member
Website

Orcharddrive wrote:

Hi David

I use the Kia Picanto 1.1LX petrol. It's a 5-door hatchback.
Great car. Disc brakes all round / ABS with EBD / Dual Air-bags / Air-con / JVC CD & MP3 player / Electric windows front and back / electric miirrors/ height adjust seatbelts and steering wheel. 3 years unlimited mileage warranty with 3 years RAC cover thrown in quote]

Hello david, I am using the same model, only 8k on the clock yet but well pleased with the car and no major problems to report well worth a " suck it and see test drive "

Tony

Chinese proverb "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

#14 20-10-05 21:06:39

gasheadADI

Just echoing the above really. Had my Picanto 1.1LX (same model as everyone above) for a month now and couldn't be happier so far.

The LX will give you the full list of creature comforts on the inside, A/C, power steering, leather gear knob/steering wheel, the list is endless - apparently I have next years version (?) - now has heated electric door mirrors. Kia don't seem to leave anything out. So much comes a standard on this car though - eg all 5dr, all have mp3 player.........

I believe a diesel is on the way, but the 1.1 petrol is OK and has a reasonable turn of speed if the car's not full.

If I had to say anything against it it would be the boot is a bit small and it doesn't come with a spare tyre (just a bottle of gunge to pump in if you get a puncture!). You can get a spare for about £100.

Go give it a go!

#15 22-10-05 16:42:10

Rob
Verified Member
Website

RE: The new Rio

It has a good write up in the press for a budget car and the diesel costs the same as the petrol.

#16 22-10-05 18:27:53

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Mmmm.

Went and had a look. Organising test drive next week as I did not like the dealer I first called with who has apparantly just lost the Honda franchise and grabbed a lifeline with Kia (showroom in Honda livery full of Kia products)  :?

Picanto comes with free duals under the Kia ADI deal
Rio does not.
Rio comes in diesel.
Picanto may in new year.

Both extremely well finished, well equipped and good looking.

Indicator switch is on the right of the column though :?

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#17 24-10-05 21:20:39

mmc
Verified Member
Website

:x mmmm changing gear and signalling at the same time :?:

#18 25-10-05 10:42:04

arwen
Website

Hiya,
      got a pug 206 1.4HDI. Been the best thing i ever did! After 12 months and 36,000miles it still feels as good as new and the eonomy is brill, at least 500 miles per tank round town and with Pass Plus up to 650! Even with the air con on full time it only loses 50 miles from the tank!
The layout inside gives full view of all clocks and the seat will adjust for clients from 4'8" to 6'6".
All round vissibility is great !
Go out and give one a try  :twisted:

#19 25-10-05 21:03:52

taurus
Verified Member

I love my Micra    big_smile

Had a 206hdi, Worst car I have ever owned,

Random electrical faults, and 6 indicator control units,  Vibration problems, Poor parts supply.

Out of 11months ownership it spent 6 weeks waiting for parts!

Taurus

#20 25-10-05 22:09:57

BIG G
Website

my wife has a kia and she loves it you get loads for your money, the build is'nt like  skoda's or vw's but what do you expect for that price.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups

Board footer