You are not logged in.

#1 26-10-13 14:01:47

AustinCann

New driver Probation period

Looks like I cocked it all up!!

Wonder if I can get away with this.

I drove in the re-works areas and did not realize that speed limit was 50 and drove down at 60 few times. Got myself two in a row speed offence letters from the police which at present are merely to acknowledge if I was the driver. I assume in the near future, I will receive the speed penalty letters.

Now my situation is - passed driving lesson less than two years ago, already had attended speed awareness course so not entitled for it- drive for living - know for sure that will lose my job with no valid license sad

Will my license be provoked for sure? Any way I can avoid this?
Best Regars
Austin

26-10-13 14:01:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New driver Probation period

#2 26-10-13 14:09:41

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Yes!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 26-10-13 14:36:56

MGM
Verified Member

Hi Austin

Your licence will be REvoked (you may be PROvoked!) and I can't see a way of avoiding it, but you have some control over the timing.

First, you normally have 28 days to respond to the requests to name the driver. (Whatever else you do, don't fail to do that - six points and a big fine).

They will then send the fixed penalty offer, and you'll have some more time (21 days?) to respond to that. If you want to delay things further, don't respond and you'll eventually get a court summons. That's likely to mean a higher fine but it could buy you much more time (they have 6 months from the offence). Plead guilty by letter to keep your costs down and get a 33% discount on the fine (but not the points).

The court will advise the DVLA, and only then will your licence be revoked.

You can then immediately apply for a new provisional, and take your theory and practical tests as soon as waiting times allow.

Another approach would be to go to court in person, plead guilty, but explain to the magistrates about your job, and ask them to give you a short ban instead of the points, which you might be able to deal with by taking a holiday from work. Their guidelines tell them not to do this, but you might be lucky.

Finally, I believe you can get mobile again quickly by riding a moped on a provisional. I know nothing about bikes, but no doubt one of the experts on here will.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 26-10-13 16:30:20

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Another approach would be to go to court in person, plead guilty, but explain to the magistrates about your job, and ask them to give you a short ban instead of the points, which you might be able to deal with by taking a holiday from work. Their guidelines tell them not to do this, but you might be lucky.

I don't think there are any options on the new driver rules, it's an automatic licence revocation for 6 points.

#5 26-10-13 18:15:43

Evan
Administrator

Sorry Austin you seem to be someone who flouts the law, speed awareness course then commits the same offence all within two years. I spend most of my time explaining to pupils that a Limit is just that. Not being harsh but if the speed camera hadn't caught you, then you would have carried on breaking the law. What makes you think it is necessary to drive to the limit on every road?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 26-10-13 19:08:32

MGM
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

I don't think there are any options on the new driver rules, it's an automatic licence revocation for 6 points.

Absolutely true if you get the points, but the courts don't have the option not to award them.

#7 27-10-13 07:40:37

AustinCann

I think it may rather be easier to plead guilty and re-do the tests. So i believe I am not eligible to take the theory test before hearing the provocation from DVLA? Once I get the provisional, can I drive mo-ped? Can I drive 600CC or there is a definition for mo-ped?

#8 27-10-13 08:10:11

AUTAX
Verified Member

In my experience, the DVLA are in no hurry to issue a provisional to drivers who have had their licence revoked.

I agree with Evan, and personally, to be given a Driver Awareness Course to escape 3 of the 6 probationary points waters down the probation period. Young drivers know they can drive between 30-40 mph in a 30 limit AND IF CAUGHT get an offer to attend. It's a gamble but consider this:

If a child walks out in front of you whilst driving at 30 mph and you react and stop with inches or cms to spare then at 35 mph you would hit the child at 17 mph. At 40 mph then the speed reduction would be so insignificant that the child would be hit at around 40 mph and probably killed. And that's if the driver wasn't distracted at the moment the child ran out.

Having spent 4-6 months teaching and educating someone to drive carefully and responsibly then please excuse me if I don't have any sympathy with people who are facing a revocation of their licence. Learn the lesson and be relieved that it was a camera that caught you and not a child with it's mother that caught you speeding.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#9 27-10-13 09:13:29

Evan
Administrator

In this thread I see no sign at all of regret, or reflection of potential consequences for others for the crimes committed, just a feeling of inconvenience for the offender. This is exactly the attitude that causes problems on our roads, and in society generally, have you stopped checking your mirrors and signalling as well as checking speed limits? You seem to have caste aside, like so many do the good routines taught to you whilst learning to drive. Your a statistic, the very one that causes insurance premiums to be pushed up for everyone.

You have broken the law 3 times and been caught for it, God only knows how many other times you have done this since you passed your test. The roads are better and safer with drivers who don't want to conform to the rules off them, AUTAX makes good references to the dangers of yours and others actions above.

My post may seem harsh its not aimed just at you, but everyone who drives too damn fast and puts us and everyone in danger. We as ADI's are trying to teach safe driving, we are trying with our efforts to make the roads safer, you and your ilk are undermining everyone's efforts.

Speed in the wrong place kills people, more often than not it is the innocent person that gets badly injured or killed, think about that one.

This happened three years ago next month the driver was doing 70 on a 40 mph road in horrendous conditions, he was given a 20 month prison sentence.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales … sh-2070637

#10 27-10-13 09:17:11

Roadmaster
Verified Member

It might get even worse Evan.

Once the tests are passed again  the new driver rules no longer apply and it could  be 12 points, or 4 more speeding offences,  before the next ban comes along.

#11 27-10-13 09:22:34

Evan
Administrator

Yes you are right RM the potential is very worrying, and as the local SE said to me in the TC last week, the standards on the roads are shocking, and if people disregard everything so soon after test, the future does not look good.

#12 27-10-13 10:02:42

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

I'm with Evan and AUTAX on this.  I hope you lose your licence and have to retake your test.  Maybe then you will begin to understand why the rules are there and stick to them. 

If your job requires you to have a licence, why have you been so careless?  If you break the law, there are consequences.  If those consequences are going to be a problem for you, then don't break the law.  It seems as though you drive the same as you live...no regard to the consequences whatsoever.

Take your punishment, deal with the consequences and stop trying to avoid your responsibility.

#13 27-10-13 10:16:23

trunkmonkey

MGM wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

Absolutely true if you get the points, but the courts don't have the option not to award them.

Whilst revocation is automatic if you reach 6 points, if you can prevent points being endorsed, you can avoid revocation. Consequently, for some offences it may be more practical to obtain a short period of disqualification by way of a punishment instead of penalty points. Although to achieve this, you will have to attend Court, if you can convince the Court to impose a punishment that avoids penalty points, you will avoid revocation.Whilst the Court has no discretion on whether revocation is imposed should you reach 6 points, it does have discretion on the punishment imposed and therefore, avoiding points will avoid revocation.

It depends on the speed.

For a 30mph offence the Magistrate has an option to award 4-6 points OR may disqualify 7-28days if the speed is 41 or above.
It goes up incrementally for higher speeds.

#14 27-10-13 11:14:30

AUTAX
Verified Member

AustinCann wrote:

Wonder if I can get away with this.

Really? I would say every one on this threads hopes to God you don't!

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#15 27-10-13 12:34:13

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Agree totally.
Only remorse is for getting caught!
Couldn't care less about anything else.
Well my 1st reply really said what I think.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#16 27-10-13 12:42:06

Daveyboy
Verified Member

As the saying goes;

Dont do the crime, if you cant do the time

I have no sympathy for drivers caught speeding in 30mph zones, they are there for safety reasons.

#17 27-10-13 16:17:17

ralge
Verified Member

AUTAX wrote:

In my experience, the DVLA are in no hurry to issue a provisional to drivers who have had their licence revoked.

I agree with Evan, and personally, to be given a Driver Awareness Course to escape 3 of the 6 probationary points waters down the probation period. Young drivers know they can drive between 30-40 mph in a 30 limit AND IF CAUGHT get an offer to attend. It's a gamble but consider this:

If a child walks out in front of you whilst driving at 30 mph and you react and stop with inches or cms to spare then at 35 mph you would hit the child at 17 mph. At 40 mph then the speed reduction would be so insignificant that the child would be hit at around 40 mph and probably killed. And that's if the driver wasn't distracted at the moment the child ran out.

Having spent 4-6 months teaching and educating someone to drive carefully and responsibly then please excuse me if I don't have any sympathy with people who are facing a revocation of their licence. Learn the lesson and be relieved that it was a camera that caught you and not a child with it's mother that caught you speeding.

In the figures you use, you may well be referring to the video shown on Speed courses that I was once involved with.
It involved a well-maintained car driven by a traffic cop on a flat, dry, high-grip road surface.  The exercise explored braking at a known point from different speeds in these IDEAL circumstances and the differing speeds on impact that resulted from them:

Braking at point x from 30mph, no impact.
... From 32mph, 11 mph impact (broken leg(s) to be expected that aren't just cracked - smashed and crushed bones are to be expected as well as a life-changing injury - this came from a radiologist on one of my Speed courses)
... From 35mph, 18 mph impact (as above but this time the impact momentum is sufficient to pivot the body and head into windscreen with untold possibilities of head/brain injury)
... From 40 mph, 26 mph impact (effectively body into orbit with untold possibilities of organ damage).

No discussion of the current validity of HC stopping distances chart required here (since when, after all, has any pedestrian made a rational decision about when to step out in front of a vehicle - "it's a Ford Anglia, I'll wait for a minute or two" or "It's an expensive modern sporty number, I'll step out anytime I fancy 'cos it has disk brakes the size of a planet")
Not finger-wagging sanctimony on Speed courses, I hope, just pure physics that suggests speed choices do matter.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

Board footer