You are not logged in.

#1 30-04-13 20:28:33

dog
Verified Member

Adding more categories to licence (formerly "Insurance for training")

Hi all, I am wanting to do B+E as soon as possible. I want to do it in my own car but I have found out my insurance policy specifically excludes tuition, this apparently also includes when I am the one being tutored. I thought insurance covered you even as a learner (I have a B licence) on the car, as people have private tuition in their own cars all the time. Is there some special company which can provide insurance which will cover me whilst training for B+E in my own car? I also planned to do some private practise towing a large trailer on L plates whilst under the supervision of a friend who has B+E.

Thanks

Last edited by dog (06-10-13 09:33:11)

30-04-13 20:28:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Adding more categories to licence (formerly "Insurance for training")

#2 30-04-13 20:50:11

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Best thing would be to phone your insurance company and ask them about your specific policy.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#3 01-05-13 12:00:54

dog
Verified Member

Confirmed with insurance company - I am not covered for tuition whatsoever in my car. What can I do?

#4 09-05-13 11:43:17

dog
Verified Member

Have the assessment drive tomorrow morning.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 09-05-13 14:29:31

(ROG)
Verified Member

dog wrote:

Confirmed with insurance company - I am not covered for tuition whatsoever in my car. What can I do?

Call an insurance broker for a limited timespan insurance to cover you for B+E training using your own vehicle

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#6 10-05-13 15:16:46

dog
Verified Member

Tried already, and none of the short term insurance companies will go near me due to my age and car. I have discovered it is virtually impossible to get private insurance to do this sort of thing in your own vehicle.

Either way I had the assessment this morning in the trainers car and it was great. Started off very nervous as I always am when being assessed at something but soon got the hang of it. By the sounds of it the test standards are VERY high, and I will need to lose a lot of my old habits before going in. I think we're booking the test for the end of June, and I'm going to have 2 or 3 full days of training before then (at almost 300 per day plus 115 test fee eek!) and hopefully I'll pass.

#7 24-05-13 04:29:04

dog
Verified Member

Test booked for 13th June had first day training yesterday went very well I feel the reversing exercise was much easier than I expected.

#8 04-07-13 13:52:57

dog
Verified Member

Test was postponed from the 13th as my trainer broke his foot, I had it at 12:30 today and passed first attempt with 5 driving faults. Thanks all

#9 04-07-13 22:20:35

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Very well done. smile
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#10 05-07-13 12:41:46

dog
Verified Member

Next up C1!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 10-07-13 08:04:40

(ROG)
Verified Member

dog wrote:

Next up C1!

Why not go for C ?

IAM Observer

#12 10-07-13 08:22:45

(ROG)
Verified Member

Re the insurance issue ...

All others I know of being supervised in their own vehicles for B+E do not have this trouble so I think the question to the insurers is not being put across correctly and they are thinking this is a business issue for payment instead of a private one

IAM Observer

#13 12-07-13 15:03:39

dog
Verified Member

Can I go straight for C without doing C1? And if I pass C does it add C1 as well?

#14 12-07-13 16:09:51

daz6215
Verified Member

yes

#15 12-07-13 19:45:59

(ROG)
Verified Member

C1 = 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes
C = 3.5 to ..... no upper limit

C1 is a subcategory of C
B licence holder can go from B to C

Cost = C1 can be cheaper if a 4 tonne van is used
C1 can cost the same as C if the choice is between a 7.5 tonner and an 18 tonner

IAM Observer

#16 06-10-13 09:00:10

dog
Verified Member

OK well on my mission to complete the DVLA's challenge of filling in as many blank spaces on the new style driving licence as possible I have decided I am going to do D1, C1 (in a 4 tonner) and C1+E (again 4 tonner with trailer) since that will give me all the above along with D1+E and therefore bring me in line with the pre-97 licence albeit without the restrictions

Questions:

I understand C1 and D1 need a medical, do I only need to do this once overall or once for each category
Does this stupid CPC thing affect me and if so, what must I do?

#17 06-10-13 17:24:39

(ROG)
Verified Member

dog wrote:

OK well on my mission to complete the DVLA's challenge of filling in as many blank spaces on the new style driving licence as possible I have decided I am going to do D1, C1 (in a 4 tonner) and C1+E (again 4 tonner with trailer) since that will give me all the above along with D1+E and therefore bring me in line with the pre-97 licence albeit without the restrictions

Questions:

I understand C1 and D1 need a medical, do I only need to do this once overall or once for each category
Does this stupid CPC thing affect me and if so, what must I do?

Driver cpc is only for the commercial driving of vehicles in the C & D categories - that is anything with a C or D in it
DCPC is not for private driving

If you really do not want to do C & D then C+E the route you have described is ok

Assuming you only have B at the moment - If you do C1 manual first then D1 (auto or manual) and C1+E manual in any order you will get all these in manual -
B BE C1 D1 C1E D1E

Last edited by (ROG) (06-10-13 17:27:23)

IAM Observer

#18 07-10-13 09:24:29

dog
Verified Member

Thanks, I have BE now as I have done that test already. I will do C1 manual, then if possible D1 in an auto (I much prefer automatic now). Then to finish C1+E in a manual to upgrade both and remove the auto restriction. I thought passing +E in the higher category only upgraded lower ones that you already had. It's good to know that if I do C1+E first and D1 auto afterwards, I will still end up with C1 C1+E D1 D1+E all in manual. That's providing the DVLA get it right  big_smile

#19 07-10-13 12:18:43

(ROG)
Verified Member

C1 manual + D1 auto = both in manual no mateer which order they are done

One other possible option if you can find trainers with the vehicles ....
C1 and D1 in auto then C1+E in manual gives manual C1 C1+E D1 D1+E

Always let the examiner deal with the licence but scan it well before taking a test so you have a copy - you will also retain the test pass certs that way

IAM Observer

Board footer