You are not logged in.

#1 20-09-13 15:12:07

sam70

Handbrake Panic - New Driver

Hi there,

Just looking for a bit of advice because I'm currently feeling like I never want to drive again! sad After over a year of lessons, I passed my test first time two weeks ago (3 minors). This seemed like a miracle because I was convinced I would fail. Since then, I've been out a few times by myself and a few times with my partner for extra practice. Our car was serviced this week and the garage put on a new handbrake.

Today, I made my first journey alone since then (15 minute trip along some main roads to the supermarket). However, twice when I was stopped at lights, the handbrake totally stuck and it took over 5 minutes to release it both times. This was a complete nightmare because there was a queue of traffic behind me - blasting their horns! No matter what I tried I couldn't release it for ages. The second occasion was even worse because I was stopped on an uphill slope at a really busy junction.

My partner says I'd obviously yanked the handbrake too high and didn't have the strength to release it. However, I'm now totally paranoid about doing this again. I don't know if it's just the difference between the handbrakes in the car I learnt in, my old one and this new handbrake! Should I not be pulling the handbrake so high? Even on a slope? My nerves are totally shattered and I don't want to risk ending up in that situation again.

Any guidance appreciated  smile

20-09-13 15:12:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Handbrake Panic - New Driver

#2 20-09-13 15:21:01

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Do you push the button in when pulling the handbrake up?

#3 20-09-13 15:28:14

sam70

Yep, I push button in when securing handbrake on (maybe too tightly though?). I eventually managed to release the handbrake using both hands and brute force - but it was very stressful! hmm

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 20-09-13 15:31:57

sam70

Blindspot wrote:

Ok Sam.  The way to find out how far to pull up the handbrake is to apply it without pressing the release button in and count the clicks. A properly installed new handbrake or an adjusted existing one shouldn't need more than three or four clicks to be applied enough to hold the car.

So - when you need to apply the handbrake press the footbrake pedal down quite firmly so that it is holding the car still then apply the handbrake three clicks.  Release the footbrake.

If the car is held, fine.  If it rolls apply the footbrake again and pull the handbrake up one more click. Do this until the car stops rolling.

Hope that helps.

BS

Okay, thanks for that advice, I'll try that before I completely lose my nerve!

#5 20-09-13 16:41:27

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Hello Sam, it does sound like you may be pulling too hard on the handbrake, as you've suggested. Can I suggest you keep your thumb on the button as you pull the handle up and then release it when the handle reaches the top. If you raise the handle without pressing the button, it's easy to wrench it too far and it becomes difficult to release from the ratchet.

When you're testing the handbrake as suggested by blindspot, you might also want to find out how far you have to pull the handle to set the brake. It only needs to be pulled up 'just enough' and no more. When you're not in traffic, maybe at the side of the road, you could try setting the brake as I've described and you'll feel resistance when the handbrake is coming on. Take a look at the handle and see how high it is when this happens. That way you can learn how it feels and looks without pressure from other traffic.

If you're stopped on a hill and you've set the handbrake but the car still rolls a bit, this is the time to pull it up gently without the button, but only one or two clicks should be enough.

Good luck, perhaps you can come back and tell us if you solve the problem?

#6 20-09-13 16:59:51

la.monikita
Verified Member

How about trying the H brake before going anywhere that could be stressful?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 21-09-13 10:09:24

MAZ
Verified Member

la.monikita wrote:

How about trying the H brake before going anywhere that could be stressful?

As above. Try sitting outside your house applying the handbrake on and off. As has been said, a handbrake that has just been serviced will not need to go up as far as it did before to hold the car.

Maz.

#8 21-09-13 13:13:12

Evan
Administrator

Might be worth checking how high your clutch is when going to move away, too high and you can be pulling the front wheels against the back one's, thereby locking the hand brake against the back wheels, this can happen a lot when people are afraid of rolling back, as has been suggested practice and try things out in safe places. Driving is a skill that you carry on learning for he rest of your life so expect a few hiccups.

Board footer