You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#51 18-09-13 22:29:16

MAZ
Verified Member

Re: A few last minute test questions!

Streether:

I can understand the stern posts from ADI's who, like myself have had pupils doubt our judgment with regards to test readiness.

Both your serious faults relate to "images". When getting in your car you should have kept an "image" in your head of the position of the kerb, so even though it may not have been fully visible from the drivers seat when moving off you would have a memory of where it was even after the distraction of "S & T" questions and been able to negotiate it.

Re the observations, staring at a row of vehicles coming from one direction (because you think you can't go yet) without frequently checking in the other direction as things can change, the row of cars could get held up for any number of reasons such as stopping to let someone cross the road, the front car could stop to turn right and you will not be ready to go if you have not kept all round images refreshed an up to date.

You must keep in mind the examiner covers these same junctions up to 7 times a day week on week he will know how deep you can see into a particular junction when that red 4x4 is parked in its usual place etc. A quick glance is often not enough, it can take 2 "images" (much like a speed camera does) to assess the speed of an oncoming vehicle to see how far it has progressed between checks. An examiner may feel you "got lucky" and got away with insufficient checks on this occasion and can't let you rely on luck.

You will see from this government document that year on year observations at junctions is the No 1 reason for failing tests:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … -tests.pdf

Maz.

18-09-13 22:29:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#52 18-09-13 23:33:33

streether

MAZ wrote:

Streether:

I can understand the stern posts from ADI's who, like myself have had pupils doubt our judgment with regards to test readiness.

Both your serious faults relate to "images". When getting in your car you should have kept an "image" in your head of the position of the kerb, so even though it may not have been fully visible from the drivers seat when moving off you would have a memory of where it was even after the distraction of "S & T" questions and been able to negotiate it.

Re the observations, staring at a row of vehicles coming from one direction (because you think you can't go yet) without frequently checking in the other direction as things can change, the row of cars could get held up for any number of reasons such as stopping to let someone cross the road, the front car could stop to turn right and you will not be ready to go if you have not kept all round images refreshed an up to date.

You must keep in mind the examiner covers these same junctions up to 7 times a day week on week he will know how deep you can see into a particular junction when that red 4x4 is parked in its usual place etc. A quick glance is often not enough, it can take 2 "images" (much like a speed camera does) to assess the speed of an oncoming vehicle to see how far it has progressed between checks. An examiner may feel you "got lucky" and got away with insufficient checks on this occasion and can't let you rely on luck.

You will see from this government document that year on year observations at junctions is the No 1 reason for failing tests:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … -tests.pdf

Maz.

Thank you for your constructive advice. I really appreciate it. I do agree with you on the kerb thing. That makes sense. In fact, so does the observation at the junction about me staring at one side. I do now understand the benefits of the other method.
As for the 2nd observation where I glanced, I don't think I've explained myself very well. Normally I would stop and take time to be sure nothing was coming, but in this instance we'd turned on to a tiny residential side street with no cars on it. Glancing to the left I could see quite far down the street as there weren't really any bends for a while, so I then checked to my right as well and went through. It was an incredibly quiet street with little obstruction, and it was obvious after a glance that there was nothing there and that there wouldn't be for a while.
Thank you for taking the time to explain thoroughly, it's all really helpful.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#53 18-09-13 23:36:57

streether

Mentor wrote:
brod wrote:
Mentor wrote:

Give the OP a break.

I have model pupils with 40 hours under their belts ask really basic stuff on the hour before their test. They do know what to do but pre-test nerves and overthinking come into play. They usually do fine on the test.

Let us know how you do "streether".  smile

So, now you know how the test went, what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that when someone comes to a forum looking for some re-assurance, they don't really need a lot of put downs.
Strangely it seems the OP didn't fail on any of the topics he asked about in his original post.

He has made some basic errors on the test which should have been avoided.  Hitting the kerb at the start is just poor planning and he does not seem to have a full grasp of what is meant by proper observations.  Nothing that can't be put right if he is prepared to take advice from a competent instructor and take sufficient lessons to reach the required standard.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. Your comment yesterday helped as well. I do appreciate it.

#54 19-09-13 09:45:44

Evan
Administrator

Price of a driving test 62 you can take it again price of yours or someone else's funeral 2000+ you or they attend only once, lots of people think they are ready for tests, they have a very insular view about it, you must not only have the ability to keep yourself safe but also be capable of keeping others safe. The average car has 5 seats, the responsibility of safety rests on the shoulders of the driver, that person is also responsible for the safety of all other road users as well. It's a big responsibility, it requires not only good car handling skills, but also a good sober attitude to decision making and also the ability to admit to and learn from mistakes you make. It may appear to you that some on here have been quite scathing in their replies, however you are asking advice from people who spend every day, week in week out teaching people not only to drive, but to raise their awareness of road safety issues. Each one of us as drivers has a morale responsibility to keep the roads safe, as instructors we have to say it as it is, otherwise we too become part of the problem helping to put under skilled drivers on the road.

#55 19-09-13 10:49:31

brod
Banned

streether wrote:

in this instance we'd turned on to a tiny residential side street with no cars on it. Glancing to the left I could see quite far down the street as there weren't really any bends for a while, so I then checked to my right as well and went through. It was an incredibly quiet street with little obstruction, and it was obvious after a glance that there was nothing there and that there wouldn't be for a while..

Your instructor is not the only who is very vague?  You say "Glancing to the left I could see quite far down the street as there weren't really any bends for a while, so I then checked to my right as well and went through."

As you went through what? Are you talking about a give way or an unmarked crossroads?

You say "Glancing to the left I could see quite far down the street as there weren't really any bends for a while, so I then checked to my right"
My preferred observation is to check to the right first, you have done your observation the opposite, have you not been taught to check right first. Are you sure you failed for this incident? I find it strange that you could fail if nothing was around and your vision was so open on approach!!

So, to repeat an earlier question, will you be seeking the help of the same instructor for your next test?
Where did you take your test by the way?

Last edited by brod (19-09-13 10:50:42)

#56 19-09-13 10:56:19

brod
Banned

streether wrote:

I'm not completely sure how many hours I've taken to be honest. Can't remember.

You cant remember how many hours you have taken but yet you can remember the fine detail of a driving test. Most of my learners having come back from a test cant even remember if the examiner was male or female they were so nervous lol
Please continue with your thread, I will sit back and enjoy. smile

#57 25-09-13 09:38:35

BB Driving School
Website

Did we get a pass in the end?

Board footer