You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 18-09-13 17:20:31

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Re: A few last minute test questions!

streether wrote:
la.monikita wrote:
streether wrote:

I would agree, however I maintain that I did look left when on the side street turning right - he just didn't see me do it as it probably wasn't obvious enough, and when pulling out at a junction I observed the traffic fine - it was a perfectly safe way of doing it, he just didn't like it. There was never any risk of me pulling out in front of other cars. All the observation marks he gave me were silly because I did observe it all safely. I agree that if I hadn't been paying attention it's justified.

I have sat on all my pupil test in the last 7 years and never really had a reason to complain about the examiners conduct or judgement. Unlike some people going to the test, who like you think they know it all and only fail for "stupid" things and their fails are always unfair.  How about a reality check? Learn to drive, plan, anticipate look at junctions properly and don't driver over kerbs.  Simple huh? Learning to drive is done once in your life. Do it well and it pay you dividends, do it badly and it will costs you dearly. Most of the time in money lost, sometimes in lost health or life. YOU CHOSE! It also sounds to me your driver education was not very good thus far...

I don't think like that. The first time I failed for good reason. This time however I feel it was unjustified; you can't know for sure it wasn't. He failed me on things I KNOW I've done properly and safely. Thing is, I was looking at junctions properly. How is looking at one side until it's clear then checking the other side unsafe? I'm honestly interested to know. And unfortunately the one incident where I've driven over a kerb like that happened at the worst possible time. If that was the lowest point of the test then it really shouldn't be a fail.

You also failed on putting two wheels on the kerb.   Whether you  made proper observations at the juction or not, it doesn't matter.  Or was the nasty examiner wrong on that too?

18-09-13 17:20:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 18-09-13 17:35:12

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I think you need to seriously adjust you attitude to the safety issue of driving.

A 'flick of the eye' is no way to check safely for other road users, it is observations like that, that lead to,deaths of cyclists and motorcyclists.

There is a wealth of evidence proving that one quick look, CANNOT, reveal all the issues, the examiner knows this, you clearly do not and from your reaction probably are not interested, as you clearly know exactly what is needed and an experienced expert driver does not.

I'm afraid unless you change your outlook, you are an accident waiting to happen.

Making a mistake once to learn, might seem fine to,you, but it might not to the person whose life you destroy.

#28 18-09-13 18:50:15

DonT
Verified Member

OK I can not resist any longer.

Every reply that Streether has received is relevant and has given great advice which shows that we all hope to help. However, I may be being cynical but by the posts from Streether and the way they are written, including their content, I believe Streether knows a little bit more about driving than is made out. Please read the posts again and make your own decisions. I may be wrong but...

Last edited by DonT (18-09-13 18:50:58)

#29 18-09-13 18:55:06

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Do you think Rosemary Thew has got bored with retirement and is having a laugh?  big_smile

#30 18-09-13 19:27:03

DonT
Verified Member

The words Rosemary Thew and laugh should not be used in the same sentence. roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#31 18-09-13 19:46:12

brod
Banned

DonT wrote:

I may be being cynical but by the posts from Streether and the way they are written, including their content, I believe Streether knows a little bit more about driving than is made out. Please read the posts again and make your own decisions. I may be wrong but...

Completely agree with you DonT hence the reason for my earlier post.

brod wrote:

From the content of your questions i am wondering if you really are a learner driver!!
If you are wink then good luck smile

streether wrote:

Also, I'm keen to know how you seem to know how I'm not a very good driver. You have never seen me drive.  I don't think that the rules should say that that is an instant fail.

He probably knows youre not a very good driver based on the questions you asked in your OP.
As for the kerb incident not being an instant fail? Lets hope the pedestrian who you hit the next time you mount the kerb agrees with you when he/she is being wheeled around in a wheel chair then. roll

#32 18-09-13 20:21:12

streether

Ok, I think this is being taken way too far.
As for the 'not looking left', I saw right down that road for long enough to see there was nothing there. Apparently the examiner didn't see. This is perfectly possible. This is all I know.
With looking incorrectly at the junction, I appreciate that other methods may have their benefits, but the method I was using was just as affective.
In regards to the kerb, I've already admitted that this was a bad mistake that was dangerous. Thinking about it, I can see how this is an immediate fail, it was a really silly thing to do. Answer me one thing, though: Why is it that I can stall in the middle of the road or nearly hit someone on a roundabout and as long as it doesn't actually affect anyone right there and then, it's only a minor? Surely that's flawed?

Last edited by streether (18-09-13 20:23:07)

#33 18-09-13 20:26:15

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Where did you get those ideas from?
If you stall in the middle of the road and cause a problem for others, you may well get a serious fault.
Likewise the roundabout scenario you mention.
If you do anything that makes another road user take action to avoid you, then you may well fail.

#34 18-09-13 20:28:59

streether

kaf wrote:

Where did you get those ideas from?
If you stall in the middle of the road and cause a problem for others, you may well get a serious fault.
Likewise the roundabout scenario you mention.
If you do anything that makes another road user take action to avoid you, then you may well fail.

No, I know that. I mean if you don't cause a problem for others because there happens to be no-one else around. In the same way that my kerb thing didn't cause a problem for anyone but still failed, shouldn't stalling etc.?

#35 18-09-13 20:31:32

martin Williams
Verified Member

Regards to turning into the kerb.

Every time you hit or mount a kerb you will wear and can cut the sidewall of the tyre.

Now imagine going down a motorway at 70mph and that front tyre blows due to damage caused by you. More likely to happen at high speed due to the extra pressure caused by the heat.

This is the main reason why pupils fail for hitting kerbs and mounting pavements. That Examiner may have saved your life if you go away and learn how to stop and move away safely.

Do you still think you should have passed??????

Last edited by martin Williams (18-09-13 20:39:55)

#36 18-09-13 20:39:54

VandADI
Administrator

streether wrote:

With looking incorrectly at the junction, I appreciate that other methods may have their benefits, but the method I was using was just as affective.

The other methods that you refer to, is taking "effective" observation, that means actually seeing what is there, rather than just looking by habitually "flicking" the eyes.
The method you were using was not effective as this is what had caused a serious fault.
You mentioned in an earlier post,  I just want to be sure I'm doing everything exactly how the DSA want it done.
This implies that you are looking rather than just seeing and this is a perfect example of why the DSA marking criteria is the way it is, quite possibly saving yours (and others) lives.

#37 18-09-13 20:45:51

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Why is it that I can........... nearly hit someone on a roundabout and as long as it doesn't actually affect anyone right there and then...

How can you nearly hit someone if there's no one there?

#38 18-09-13 20:58:45

brod
Banned

streether wrote:

I know that the tiniest thing can mean a fail sometimes.

If you already knew this why are you protesting the examiners decisions?

streether wrote:

I find my main problem is observation.

You have already admitted your main problem is observation, the examiner has now confirmed it.
In 2 separate posts you have said your instructor is very vague!! Will you be using the same instructor to prepare for your next test?
Out if interest how many hours tuition have you taken?

#39 18-09-13 21:01:20

brod
Banned

Mentor wrote:

Give the OP a break.

I have model pupils with 40 hours under their belts ask really basic stuff on the hour before their test. They do know what to do but pre-test nerves and overthinking come into play. They usually do fine on the test.

Let us know how you do "streether".  smile

So, now you know how the test went, what are your thoughts?

#40 18-09-13 21:11:23

streether

VandADI wrote:
streether wrote:

The other methods that you refer to, is taking "effective" observation, that means actually seeing what is there, rather than just looking by habitually "flicking" the eyes.
The method you were using was not effective as this is what had caused a serious fault.
You mentioned in an earlier post,  I just want to be sure I'm doing everything exactly how the DSA want it done.
This implies that you are looking rather than just seeing and this is a perfect example of why the DSA marking criteria is the way it is, quite possibly saving yours (and others) lives.

The line of mine that you have quoted was in reference to pulling out at the junction, not when I did or did not look left. For the record, both times I did look.

#41 18-09-13 21:13:00

streether

martin Williams wrote:

Regards to turning into the kerb.

Every time you hit or mount a kerb you will wear and can cut the sidewall of the tyre.

Now imagine going down a motorway at 70mph and that front tyre blows due to damage caused by you. More likely to happen at high speed due to the extra pressure caused by the heat.

This is the main reason why pupils fail for hitting kerbs and mounting pavements. That Examiner may have saved your life if you go away and learn how to stop and move away safely.

Do you still think you should have passed??????

I had already conceded earlier that I can now understand the kerb incident more, so maybe not because I can see where he's coming from now. Question, though - while your point is very valid, why is it then that mounting the kerb with one tyre is only a minor?

#42 18-09-13 21:14:10

streether

Roadmaster wrote:

Why is it that I can........... nearly hit someone on a roundabout and as long as it doesn't actually affect anyone right there and then...

I mean if you nearly hit them but they don't change direction, swerve stop or anything.

#43 18-09-13 21:16:56

Roadmaster
Verified Member

streether wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

I mean if you nearly hit them but they don't change direction, swerve stop or anything.

Oh right.  only a near miss then.    Hope you never think of becoming a pilot   big_smile

#44 18-09-13 21:17:30

streether

brod wrote:
streether wrote:

I know that the tiniest thing can mean a fail sometimes.

If you already knew this why are you protesting the examiners decisions?

streether wrote:

I find my main problem is observation.

You have already admitted your main problem is observation, the examiner has now confirmed it.
In 2 separate posts you have said your instructor is very vague!! Will you be using the same instructor to prepare for your next test?
Out if interest how many hours tuition have you taken?

I'm protesting the observation decisions because I dispute they happened. When I said my observation was weak I meant things like missing signs which I had no problem with today. The observation related things he failed me on were things I've never had trouble with and did fine today. I'm not completely sure how many hours I've taken to be honest. Can't remember.

#45 18-09-13 21:18:42

streether

Roadmaster wrote:
streether wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

Oh right.  only a near miss then.    Hope you never think of becoming a pilot   big_smile

I didn't say I did that. I'm just saying that I was told that that can happen and it only be a minor.

#46 18-09-13 21:19:10

Mentor
Verified Member

brod wrote:
Mentor wrote:

Give the OP a break.

I have model pupils with 40 hours under their belts ask really basic stuff on the hour before their test. They do know what to do but pre-test nerves and overthinking come into play. They usually do fine on the test.

Let us know how you do "streether".  smile

So, now you know how the test went, what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that when someone comes to a forum looking for some re-assurance, they don't really need a lot of put downs.
Strangely it seems the OP didn't fail on any of the topics he asked about in his original post.

He has made some basic errors on the test which should have been avoided.  Hitting the kerb at the start is just poor planning and he does not seem to have a full grasp of what is meant by proper observations.  Nothing that can't be put right if he is prepared to take advice from a competent instructor and take sufficient lessons to reach the required standard.

#47 18-09-13 21:21:35

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

la.monikita wrote:

...Unlike some people going to the test, who like you think they know it all and only fail for "stupid" things and their fails are always unfair.  How about a reality check? ...

Thanks la.monikita you said it for me.
streether, I'll be frank - your attitude is scary!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#48 18-09-13 21:25:43

AUTAX
Verified Member

Young lady, you are not going to convince anyone on here that what you did on your test was trivial.

A flick of the eyes is not making effective observations when at a junction. CONTINUAL observations are required. You came on here to ask for advice; you got it. Man UP! [sic] and take responsibility for your actions. It is against the Law to mount the kerb unless signs allowing it are posted or a Police Officer directs you to.

No matter how nervous you were, your accompanying driver should have alerted you to the fact that your wheels were turned into the kerb. But both wheels over the kerb? From your description you were out of control of the car.

You failed! Accept it! Change your attitude! These are the messages from fellow ADIs on this Forum. You want a licence to control a guided missile on our overcrowded roads then prove you are responsible to carry out the task or wait a couple of years to mature and accept advice that is not palatable to you.

If you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#49 18-09-13 21:29:05

VandADI
Administrator

You can protest all you like but you cannot change the examiner's decision.
What you do need to do, is to move on from here.
Use this as a very valuable learning experience and accept it.
Get some good quality driving lessons under your belt before taking your next test AND get your driving instructor to sit on on your test at least then you will get a different perspective of how the test went.

#50 18-09-13 21:33:20

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I agree with Dont, this has got to be a wind up.
If this is a genuine post then the Ex did us all a favour.
If genuine my words of wisdom would be'GROW UP'.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Board footer