You are not logged in.

#1 17-09-13 15:00:03

streether

A few last minute test questions!

Hello, I have my test tomorrow, and have a few last minute questions to ask beforehand.
1 - When asked to "pull over in a safe place", do you keep your left signal flashing the entire time until you change it to move off? Or do I turn it off as soon as I'm stationary? Also, when I do my mirror checks to move off, I put it in gear first so all I have to do is release the handbrake and move off. Is that ok or should I put it in gear last?

2 - Also, if there's 2 lanes of traffic, and I'm in the left lane, and there's a bus stopped at a bus stop up ahead, then should I wait behind it or go around it by moving into the right lane then going back into the left? What if it's a normal road with a single lane of traffic - should I wait behind it or go around it as if it were a cyclist?

3 - When the road splits from one lane into to multiple lanes, do I need to signal to say which of those lanes I'm going to choose? I know that most of the time you'll have to signal anyway because it means you'll be turning right or left, but what if, for now, they're both straight ahead? Do I just move into whichever I need or signal? I'm afraid that sometimes the lane split is so small that the signal will put people off.

4 - If I'm in a roundabout with one lane, and when I come off at the exit, I have a choice about going into the left or right lane, what shall I do? I know you're always supposed to come off into the left lane, but what if I need the right lane? Shall I move into it after I've already come off? What if the roundabout has two lanes?

5 - Talking of lanes, I was told by my instructor to ALWAYS choose the left lane when possible, and that I get a major if I choose the right lane because I'm holding traffic up, but what if I'm turning right and I turn on to the right lane (because that's where my lane leads me)? Should I keep going, but make sure I'm overtaking? Should I move back to the left immediately? What if up ahead I still need the right lane?

5 - Finally, I was told the other day that it's an immediate fail if you're stopped at a pedestrian crossing and don't put your handbrake on. I was just wondering if that rule only applies if you're at the front of the queue, and if there's any other more obscure rules like that that I should know? Because I didn't know that rule existed before I did it wrong.

Thank you so so much. I'm sorry it's all so long.

17-09-13 15:00:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: A few last minute test questions!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-09-13 15:22:07

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

streether wrote:

Hello, I have my test tomorrow, and have a few last minute questions to ask beforehand.
1 - When asked to "pull over in a safe place", do you keep your left signal flashing the entire time until you change it to move off? Or do I turn it off as soon as I'm stationary? Also, when I do my mirror checks to move off, I put it in gear first so all I have to do is release the handbrake and move off. Is that ok or should I put it in gear last?

2 - Also, if there's 2 lanes of traffic, and I'm in the left lane, and there's a bus stopped at a bus stop up ahead, then should I wait behind it or go around it by moving into the right lane then going back into the left? What if it's a normal road with a single lane of traffic - should I wait behind it or go around it as if it were a cyclist?

3 - When the road splits from one lane into to multiple lanes, do I need to signal to say which of those lanes I'm going to choose? I know that most of the time you'll have to signal anyway because it means you'll be turning right or left, but what if, for now, they're both straight ahead? Do I just move into whichever I need or signal? I'm afraid that sometimes the lane split is so small that the signal will put people off.

4 - If I'm in a roundabout with one lane, and when I come off at the exit, I have a choice about going into the left or right lane, what shall I do? I know you're always supposed to come off into the left lane, but what if I need the right lane? Shall I move into it after I've already come off? What if the roundabout has two lanes?

5 - Talking of lanes, I was told by my instructor to ALWAYS choose the left lane when possible, and that I get a major if I choose the right lane because I'm holding traffic up, but what if I'm turning right and I turn on to the right lane (because that's where my lane leads me)? Should I keep going, but make sure I'm overtaking? Should I move back to the left immediately? What if up ahead I still need the right lane?

5 - Finally, I was told the other day that it's an immediate fail if you're stopped at a pedestrian crossing and don't put your handbrake on. I was just wondering if that rule only applies if you're at the front of the queue, and if there's any other more obscure rules like that that I should know? Because I didn't know that rule existed before I did it wrong.

I really object to answers like the one I am going to give but I'm going to give it anyway.  If you do not know the answers to the above questions then you shouldn't be taking your test - sorry.  Many of these are basic issues which any instructor should have made were second nature to you by now.  If your instructor hasn't done so or if you haven't understood sufficiently, then he/she hasn't done their job properly.  Furthermore, some of the things that your instructor appears to have taught you are wrong, assuming that your account is accurate and recounted correctly.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 17-09-13 15:36:12

streether

Lady-Hynarc wrote:
streether wrote:

I really object to answers like the one I am going to give but I'm going to give it anyway.  If you do not know the answers to the above questions then you shouldn't be taking your test - sorry.  Many of these are basic issues which any instructor should have made were second nature to you by now.  If your instructor hasn't done so or if you haven't understood sufficiently, then he/she hasn't done their job properly.  Furthermore, some of the things that your instructor appears to have taught you are wrong, assuming that your account is accurate and recounted correctly.

I really am read to take my test. A lot of these are things I think I know the answer to but want to confirm to be 100% as I know that the tiniest thing can mean a fail sometimes. Driving after my test I would be fine with all of these issues but I want to make sure I'm doing everything to the book. Maybe my account isn't accurate, but either way that's what I remember. Would you be able to tell me the things I have wrong and perhaps answer some of my questions? I just want to be sure I'm doing everything exactly how the DSA want it done.

#4 17-09-13 16:21:22

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Good luck on your test, I think you are going to need a lot of it!
I agree 100% with Lady H's comments. 

Who made the decision to book your driving test?   Was it you, your instructor or both?  If it was either of the last two you have been very badly let down by him/her.

#5 17-09-13 16:21:46

brod
Banned

Lady hynark well done on a good post and for being very honest smile
streether. You should really know the answers, my advice would be to ask the same questions when your instructor picks you up tomoro an hour before your test. That way you will have more chance of remembering the
answers.
Just out of interest why would it be an imediate fail if you dont apply your handbrake at a pedestrian crossing? Who told you that!

#6 17-09-13 18:36:21

streether

Roadmaster wrote:

Good luck on your test, I think you are going to need a lot of it!
I agree 100% with Lady H's comments. 

Who made the decision to book your driving test?   Was it you, your instructor or both?  If it was either of the last two you have been very badly let down by him/her.

I really think I'll be ok. I went for a long drive all around the test centre today and on the whole, it all went pretty smoothly even though there was quite a lot of traffic. Just because there are 4 things I'm not 100% sure on doesn't mean I'm not ready. Just a few queries about some stuff & wanted another opinion as my instructor can be vague. It was me who decided to take my test, but last time I went out with him we went in my car, and he said how much better I was. I find my main problem is observation.

#7 17-09-13 18:39:12

streether

brod wrote:

Lady hynark well done on a good post and for being very honest smile
streether. You should really know the answers, my advice would be to ask the same questions when your instructor picks you up tomoro an hour before your test. That way you will have more chance of remembering the
answers.
Just out of interest why would it be an imediate fail if you dont apply your handbrake at a pedestrian crossing? Who told you that!

He's not picking me up tomorrow. I'm going on my own with my own car. I do think I'm ready - it's only a few things I wanted confirming. I just want to be sure I'm doing it to the book. I was told it was an immediate fail by my instructor because if someone smacks into you then you could go right into a pedestrian. It did make sense, to be fair.

#8 17-09-13 18:42:47

streether

Triker wrote:
streether wrote:

Q1. Signal if necessary but ensure you turn it off. So MSM...secure the car turn off the signal. Then after the instruction to move away...Preparation/ obseravation/ move.

Q2. One thing you can be sure about a bus is that its probably going to stop at some point. Look well ahead, is there anyone standing in the bus stop? Has anyone on the bus stood to get off? These things will help you decide whether to overtake or not. Dont get stuck behind it. If you think its necessary to overtake it, ensure it is safe and MSPSL.

Q3.Dont understand your question. We dive in the left hand where possib'e unless we intend to turn right or overtake. Once the manoeuvre is completed we return back to the left. We signal if necessary but ensure it doesn't confuse.

Q4. When you leave a roundabout its best to leave in the left hand lane because you don't want anyone to 'undertake' you, that is a serious fault. However if the right turn is directly after the roundabout there is nothing wrong in leaving in the right hand lane but ensure you get that right turn signal on asap!

Q5. It is wise to secure the car at a pedestrian crossing just in case something happens like a rear shunt or you foot comes of the clutch. However if you forget to apply the hand brake it does not mean you have failed as long as nothing goes wrong. My advice would be to apply it. You cant be too careful where pedestrians are concerned

Now I have a question for you. Hasn't your instructor advised you about these issues? I agree with LadyH this is really basic stuff

Thank you so much for your answers. All very helpful (FYI on Q3 I mean when you're on a single lane road, and the road splits into 2 or more lanes if you signal when choosing your lane). He's advised me on some. He can be very vague though and I really wanted a second opinion. I think I'd've done the right thing though anyway. Thanks again.

#9 17-09-13 18:51:59

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Just because there are 4 things I'm not 100% sure on doesn't mean I'm not ready.

Actually, yes it does mean you are not ready.  Especially when those 4 things are the basics of safe driving.

#10 17-09-13 20:44:22

Mentor
Verified Member

Give the OP a break.

I have model pupils with 40 hours under their belts ask really basic stuff on the hour before their test. They do know what to do but pre-test nerves and overthinking come into play. They usually do fine on the test.

Let us know how you do "streether".  smile

#11 17-09-13 20:46:15

AUTAX
Verified Member

Have you gone against your Instructors advice about not being ready? Have you gone ahead and booked the test against his advice?

To be honest, I agree with the above replies. In order to take a test successfully you must be able to drive independently without making any corrective/serious mistakes.

Your questions give me the impression that you cannot make independent decisions with the authority needed to drive a car safely or convince an examiner that you are ready to be awarded a driving licence.

Having said that, you'll probably come on here and say you've passed.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#12 17-09-13 21:25:15

HelenG
Verified Member

You're going on your own in your own car??????

#13 18-09-13 07:38:48

brod
Banned

Hope you are taking along a full licence holder with you wink
i agree with Autax, you will probably come on here and tell us you passed.
From the content of your questions i am wondering if you really are a learner driver!!
If you are wink then good luck smile

#14 18-09-13 11:39:14

streether

Thanks to all of you. Unfortunately, I did fail, but really for THE most minor things. I parked on a space on the end before the test, and then stupidly went over the corner with both tyres moving off. A silly, nervous move. It was an immediate fail, but seeing as the rest of my drive was pretty good I think it's ridiculous. The other serious fault was something I dispute ever even happened. I came into an unmarked side street and was told to turn right. The examiner swears I didn't look to my left before turning but there's absolutely no way. It's just instinct. I WOULD have looked, it was probably just a quick glance he didn't see. Contributing to the same category was the fact that I was staring either left or right too long at a junction. Another ridiculous one, as I was waiting for traffic to clear on one side before looking to the other as I couldn't have gone anyway. The only time I came even close to another car at a junction was one with a blind corner, and he didn't even give me a minor for that I don't think. I really think I should've passed today as all of these are such minor issues. I actually feel a bit robbed of my 60 pounds.

Last edited by streether (18-09-13 11:46:50)

#15 18-09-13 12:00:21

VandADI
Administrator

I am sorry to say that the serious faults occurred are in no way minor,trivial or ridiculous, and I really think the fail was fully justified.  Observations are critical, and so very important, and form the basis of the Mirror -Signal-Manoeuvre routine.
I would advise you go back to a driving instructor to reinforce the importance of observations, please remember that you are not just doing this to pass your driving test, but it will stand you in good stead for when you do pass and you need to stay safe so that you will not end up another KSI statistic.
Better to be "robbed" of 62 pounds than be robbed of your life!

#16 18-09-13 12:05:29

streether

VandADI wrote:

I am sorry to say that the serious faults occurred are in no way minor,trivial or ridiculous, and I really think the fail was fully justified.  Observations are critical, and so very important, and form the basis of the Mirror -Signal-Manoeuvre routine.
I would advise you go back to a driving instructor to reinforce the importance of observations, please remember that you are not just doing this to pass your driving test, but it will stand you in good stead for when you do pass and you need to stay safe so that you will not end up another KSI statistic.

I would agree, however I maintain that I did look left when on the side street turning right - he just didn't see me do it as it probably wasn't obvious enough, and when pulling out at a junction I observed the traffic fine - it was a perfectly safe way of doing it, he just didn't like it. There was never any risk of me pulling out in front of other cars. All the observation marks he gave me were silly because I did observe it all safely. I agree that if I hadn't been paying attention it's justified.

#17 18-09-13 12:37:46

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Examiners don't do silly marks, they are for a reason.  Mainly to keep unsafe drivers off the road and keep them safe for the rest of us.

Have you learned anything from the experience?

#18 18-09-13 12:51:46

la.monikita
Verified Member

streether wrote:
VandADI wrote:

I would agree, however I maintain that I did look left when on the side street turning right - he just didn't see me do it as it probably wasn't obvious enough, and when pulling out at a junction I observed the traffic fine - it was a perfectly safe way of doing it, he just didn't like it. There was never any risk of me pulling out in front of other cars. All the observation marks he gave me were silly because I did observe it all safely. I agree that if I hadn't been paying attention it's justified.

I have sat on all my pupil test in the last 7 years and never really had a reason to complain about the examiners conduct or judgement. Unlike some people going to the test, who like you think they know it all and only fail for "stupid" things and their fails are always unfair.  How about a reality check? Learn to drive, plan, anticipate look at junctions properly and don't driver over kerbs.  Simple huh? Learning to drive is done once in your life. Do it well and it pay you dividends, do it badly and it will costs you dearly. Most of the time in money lost, sometimes in lost health or life. YOU CHOSE! It also sounds to me your driver education was not very good thus far...

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#19 18-09-13 16:36:56

streether

Roadmaster wrote:

Examiners don't do silly marks, they are for a reason.  Mainly to keep unsafe drivers off the road and keep them safe for the rest of us.

Have you learned anything from the experience?

I learnt to make sure my tyres are straight when moving off parked! Only takes once to learn.

#20 18-09-13 16:39:42

streether

Triker wrote:
streether wrote:

When the examiner marks you for an observation fault he/she is not necessarily saying you 'didn't look'. What they are saying is that your observation wasn't 'effective'. For example you may not have been in a position to see what, if anything, was there 'when you looked'. Believe me driving examiners are not idiots. Quite aoart from being well qualified in accessing your driving they are also expert drivers. Best to hold your hands up and learn from it smile

The problem is that he doesn't know what I'm seeing. He's trying to judge if I've looked with a flick of my eye and it's not always possible - there's human error. They do a pretty good job with it on the whole, but sometimes they won't see everywhere I look. I know I looked, though, and nothing was coming, so I went. I learned from the kerb incident, though. I don't agree I should've gotten an immediate fail for it but I have learnt from it.

#21 18-09-13 16:46:46

streether

la.monikita wrote:
streether wrote:
VandADI wrote:

I have sat on all my pupil test in the last 7 years and never really had a reason to complain about the examiners conduct or judgement. Unlike some people going to the test, who like you think they know it all and only fail for "stupid" things and their fails are always unfair.  How about a reality check? Learn to drive, plan, anticipate look at junctions properly and don't driver over kerbs.  Simple huh? Learning to drive is done once in your life. Do it well and it pay you dividends, do it badly and it will costs you dearly. Most of the time in money lost, sometimes in lost health or life. YOU CHOSE! It also sounds to me your driver education was not very good thus far...

I don't think like that. The first time I failed for good reason. This time however I feel it was unjustified; you can't know for sure it wasn't. He failed me on things I KNOW I've done properly and safely. Thing is, I was looking at junctions properly. How is looking at one side until it's clear then checking the other side unsafe? I'm honestly interested to know. And unfortunately the one incident where I've driven over a kerb like that happened at the worst possible time. If that was the lowest point of the test then it really shouldn't be a fail.

#22 18-09-13 16:51:35

streether

Blindspot wrote:

Driving is a serious business involving life threatening activity.

Please listen to what the examiner has said and learn from it.  If you are sure that you did look properly at the junction then next time mutter to yourself that it is clear then there is no doubt.

Also - take your test in a dual controlled car - it is more likely to put the examiner at ease.

Your spatial awareness needs refining.  Driving over a kerb is dangerous. Kerbs are there to protect pedestrians.  If you are not aware of the immediate surround of your car you might become the phantom dinger in supermarket car parks  or even worse, run over a child in a push chair.

BS

I think I will, or at least make it more obvious.

In terms of the kerb incident, it was the first movement I'd done in the test, I'd forgotten to straighten out my wheels because I was nervous and it was a cornered kerb instead of a rounded one. Not an excuse at all, but not something I do regularly. Thing is, I think we all tend to move off slower when there's a car or push chair that close to us. I know I would. I'm not saying it was ok. It was a bad mistake, but surely if that's the worst thing in test then it should go down as a minor? It's not like I was driving on a busy street and suddenly mounted the kerb.

#23 18-09-13 16:59:43

la.monikita
Verified Member

streether wrote:
Blindspot wrote:

Please listen to what the examiner has said and learn from it.  If you are sure that you did look properly at the junction then next time mutter to yourself that it is clear then there is no doubt.

Also - take your test in a dual controlled car - it is more likely to put the examiner at ease.

Your spatial awareness needs refining.  Driving over a kerb is dangerous. Kerbs are there to protect pedestrians.  If you are not aware of the immediate surround of your car you might become the phantom dinger in supermarket car parks  or even worse, run over a child in a push chair.

BS

In terms of the kerb incident, it was the first movement I'd done in the test, I'd forgotten to straighten out my wheels because I was nervous and it was a cornered kerb instead of a rounded one. Not an excuse at all, but not something I do regularly. Thing is, I think we all tend to move off slower when there's a car or push chair that close to us. I know I would. I'm not saying it was ok. It was a bad mistake, but surely if that's the worst thing in test then it should go down as a minor? It's not like I was driving on a busy street and suddenly mounted the kerb.

You can argue all you like. Test is a test, you are expected to driver to a prescribed standard, if you can't and make mistakes like you have done, you'll fail time and time again.  I have seen drivers who thought they could drive to pass the test, as they had licences for years in other countries and never had an accident...well not if you don't drive to the correct standard, nope you will not have a licence until you do.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#24 18-09-13 17:12:09

streether

la.monikita wrote:
streether wrote:
Blindspot wrote:

BS

You can argue all you like. Test is a test, you are expected to driver to a prescribed standard, if you can't and make mistakes like you have done, you'll fail time and time again.  I have seen drivers who thought they could drive to pass the test, as they had licences for years in other countries and never had an accident...well not if you don't drive to the correct standard, nope you will not have a licence until you do.

I drove to quite a decent standard, actually. Unfortunately one small lapse of judgement made me hit the kerb and fail the test.

#25 18-09-13 17:18:23

streether

Triker wrote:

OK Streether time for some straight talking:

That examiner has probably been through that route and that particular junction more times than you could imagine, both as an examiner and a driver. So yes he does know what you can see and if he is any doubt that you didn't take proper precautions its a serious fault. He knows where and when to look at any given time during the test and he is an experienced driver whereas you are still a learner and to be frank not yet a very good one. I would certainly not have taken you for the test and you should have listened to your instructor. He wouldn't take you for a very good reason. You are not safe!

As instructors we see this 'denial' all the time but the bottom line is always the same. If you wnat to pass the test and become a safe driver you must accept that you got it wrong, learn from it and move on. If you continue to deny that it was your fault you're going nowhere!

It's very possible that he could've missed the small flick of my eye looking to the left. Surely it's impossible for him to see every movement my eyes do while I'm driving. In his years as an examiner he must have missed some. I know that I saw the end of that road looking left. Also, I'm keen to know how you seem to know how I'm not a very good driver. You have never seen me drive. I actually didn't ask my instructor to come with. I simply booked the test knowing that I negotiate the roads perfectly fine, which I did today, as my fails were either off the road or due to where he saw me looking. You don't know I got it wrong! I know what my eyes saw better than he does, and while I accept that the kerb was my fault and that the result followed the rules for that particular incident, I don't think that the rules should say that that is an instant fail.

Board footer