You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#51 12-09-09 20:02:55

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Re: Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

I got a good one today!!

Pulled up across the road from pupils house and rang to say I was outside. Whilst waiting started getting all my notes ready... and another learner car pulled up in front of me. Pupil comes out of house and I watch (whilst giggling to myself) as she gets into the wrong learner car! Few seconds later she's back out and in my car looking rather red!

My cars a blue Aygo, this was a silver Fiesta. How?!?! That brightened my day up.  smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

12-09-09 20:02:55

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#52 12-09-09 20:31:10

la.monikita
Verified Member

I got a good one today!!

Pulled up across the road from pupils house and rang to say I was outside. Whilst waiting started getting all my notes ready... and another learner car pulled up in front of me. Pupil comes out of house and I watch (whilst giggling to myself) as she gets into the wrong learner car! Few seconds later she's back out and in my car looking rather red!

My cars a blue Aygo, this was a silver Fiesta. How?!?! That brightened my day up.  smile

This is so funny!!!

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#53 03-02-10 16:23:12

TDW

I had only been out on one previous test with a pupil and another pupil asked me to sit in on her test, I agreed as I thought it was good experience so I sat in the back and didn't say a word. When the examiner asked her to pull up on the left she did so beautifully, he then asked her to move off and as she did so I did my own little blind spot check, I suppose it was force of habit. Test went on like this and when she did the reverse left I turned a little in the back seat so that I could see behind us. Once again test went quite well, she made a couple of errors like leaving the indicator on too long at one point but she realised it and cancelled it.

We got back to the test centre and she'd passed, the debrief took place and I was over the moon for her, then the DE asked me if he could have a word with me outside of the car, I said, "It's ok, we can do it here". He said, "NO, outside of the car". We got our of the car and he asked me to follow him away from the car..... He then told me that I had acted like we were on a lesson and that if another examiner had witnessed my actions then the test would have been abandoned. "Next time you're out on test mate, sit still, I am in control, ok"? "Erm.... yes".

He told me that he let me off because he had been an instructor too and he knew why I was looking but that in future I shouldn't. Lesson learned. But pupil did ask what the examiner had to say to me, I told her that he said what a marvellous job I had done with her training.......lol

Things fall to pieces so that other things can fall into place.

#54 03-02-10 20:06:07

Rob19

Many years ago as a PDI, I'll always remember the very first time I taught an emergency stop. I pulled the pupil up did a debrief then said when I give the command to stop to stop. All agreed, off we set, up the road got to arond 20mph checked around everything safe so then gave I the command stop. Only it was me that had stopped the car using my dual controls! Blagged it to the rather bemused looking pupil that I was just demonstrating!

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet Registered Trainer, RoSPA Diploma, IAM, Cardington Special Test Grade A, Driving Instructor Trainer, Full PCV licence holder, Member of DIA and MSA

#55 21-02-10 22:54:30

rooster
Verified Member

Oh well - here goes..................

Brand new pupil, large empty car park, he's never even been behind a wheel before.
Goes very well for clutch and move off, even getting the steering going well so we start to do circuits of the car park
Now this is quite rural, and bounded by hedges and trees, all ivy covered I might add!
So when the pupil moves to the stage of changing to 2nd gear, and wanders, just a little bit, as they change gear, I don't worry too much as we start to brush alongside the hedge!
Only this time, part way down the hedge, there is a cleverly disguised tree within the hedge!

Oooops. Minus one wing mirror - and lots of reassurance that, "It happens all the time, part of the learning curve etc etc"

#56 14-07-10 22:51:31

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

I had the same problem and a couple of weeks later I had my fist check out test. I'm not sure if that was the reason but she failled my pupil and she told me at the end that i was in the way

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#57 15-07-10 03:14:55

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

it worse go up a dead end when your pupil has never been taught the TITR
Every single ADI has at some point in the early days inadvertently taken a pupil up a cul-de-sac and then pretended they were going to do a TIR there anyway

Of course!

It should be a standard technique used by all instructors and assessed on check tests.  tongue  :angel:

Another standard technique is: before demonstrating something to a student advise them that any mistake you make is deliberate, to show them how NOT to do it.
You'll get some interesting sideways looks from students after that one (if I think they're taking me seriously, of course I'll tell them that I'm joking).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#58 25-01-11 21:42:02

HewittsDriving
Website

I have to admit that I have forgotten to add my roof sign shortly after picking my first pupil up, but I think the best thing (or worst thing should I say) aws when my pupil was driving along a road, we got to traffic light to turn left, when we turned into new road there was a car parked on left and the on coming traffic was still built up from traffic lights, there was a yellow box area opposite the stationary car so oncomming cars had left space for us to pass the vehicle, as I was talking my pupil round the car using the box area, an idiotic young driver decided to drive onto the box area as we were on it, my pupil panicing wanted to avoid the idiot coming towards us and forgot about the stationary car at the side of us, she yanked the steering wheel to the left and i just grabbed it intime, well I say in time, we just clipped the parked car. not much damage but the vehicle behind us was the police, so they pulled over with us and helped me knock on every door until we found the owner.. Even the police didnt expect that to happen, this was in the early pink badge stages, then after that my pupils had to leave a gap wide enough for a plane to get through.. Im back to normal now.

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#59 17-07-11 12:21:29

clwydian1
Verified Member
Website

Every single ADI has at some point in the early days inadvertently taken a pupil up a cul-de-sac and then pretended they were going to do a TIR there anyway   big_smile

Guilty!  :oops: or a left reverse!   roll

Danny

*** FREE CPD ***
Funded - Fleet Trainer Courses throughout the UK
www.drivetoperfection.co.uk

#60 11-09-13 05:02:28

Csiadi

I remember being in a car park practicing steering with a pupil and noticing a guy watching us shaking his head in disapproval, after a few lefts and rights the pupil said that guys waving at us, thinking he was simply not happy with us practicing in a car park I said "don't worry people unfortunately forget they once did this" then he got out of his car and flagged us down, I opened the window and asked if I could help, he said "I think it is you that needs help, your front tyre is as flat as a pancake!"
Conclusion, How good is power steering? Even with a flat tyre the steering was not effected! But at the same time.
OOPS sad

Board footer