You are not logged in.

#1 30-07-13 20:56:40

L Hibberd

Re-training/career change.

Hi, I've been trying to get a new/better job now for a long time without success, I've been in warehousing now for 20 yrs and even though I've been a manager and have lots of experience it's just not happening. So need to try and make things happen. Would anyone be willing to give me any advice on training to become a driving instructor?

Is it a career worth pursing at this time, are the franchise routes any good? Are any Tom, Dick or Harry's trying to do this?

Any sound advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

30-07-13 20:56:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Re-training/career change.

#2 30-07-13 21:09:07

Evan
Administrator

Are any Tom Dick or Harry's trying to do it? Yes they are they generally give up within 2 years.

On average it will take you about 3 years to get yourself established and earning a decent income, this depends on the area you intend working and the existing competition. You can look forward to earning a good living but it will change your life socially, and you can forget working set hours.

You need to have the ability to teach, you need to stand out from the crowd, you need a good business head and be very disciplined in how you work. The thought of working when you like is often the attractor to this job, you will work around other people and have your phone going all times of the day and night.

You need to have the best Trainer you can afford, someone who cares enough about the people he/she trains, and wants to get the right people teaching others to drive.

This profession is not easy before you part with a penny find out if you really want to do it, and make sure you understand exactly what the job is all about. You have done the right thing by asking questions on here, there is a lot of very good info and experience on hand on these boards.
I personally love the job, but it's not for everyone, some just cannot put up with the hours.

Good luck

Last edited by Evan (31-07-13 06:16:15)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 30-07-13 21:32:00

Triplea35
Verified Member

L Hibberd wrote:

Hi, I've been trying to get a new/better job now for a long time without success, I've been in warehousing now for 20 yrs and even though I've been a manager and have lots of experience it's just not happening. So need to try and make things happen. Would anyone be willing to give me any advice on training to become a driving instructor?

Is it a career worth pursing at this time, are the franchise routes any good? Are any Tom, Dick or Harry's trying to do this?

Any sound advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

The amount of pupils going to test has been going down significantly in recent years, 8.5% drop in the last year. Not exactly a growth industry at the moment!

#4 31-07-13 04:58:23

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I don't want to say what I normally say when people ask this question but.....

I would not give up a paye job to become a driving instructor, it is a part time hobby at best.

There are fewer pupils, more instructors, fuel prices are going up and up, insurance and running costs are rising.

If someone offered me a full time job with a pension, sick pay and holiday pay I would take it!

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#5 31-07-13 05:11:54

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Read this thread.  It isn't a one off, there are hundreds who have ended up in the same mess.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/vi … p?id=44840

If you are intent on committing financial suicide, yes driving instruction is the best place to do it at this time.

#6 31-07-13 08:17:07

brod
Banned

Evans post sums it up really.
You need to be very careful before deciding, you could speak to 10 ADIs who love the job and are busy those ADIs will probably sway you towards the job. On the other hand you may speak to 10 ADIs who don't like the job and are not busy. If I were you I would spend some time visiting ramdom websites and calling the ADIs and ask the same question as your OP.
For what its worth, I love the job and would never change it, a lot of an instructors success is down to their personalty. As Even says, you need to give yourself 3 years you get established.

#7 31-07-13 14:34:05

sofasurfer
Verified Member

If you need the money to pay your mortgage, this job is not for you ! If you are single, living with your parents, retired or have recently won the lottery, you might enjoy yourself.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 31-07-13 14:50:08

Evan
Administrator

sofasurfer wrote:

If you need the money to pay your mortgage, this job is not for you ! If you are single, living with your parents, retired or have recently won the lottery, you might enjoy yourself.

I have been paying my mortgage for the last 10 years and paying myself a wage and my other bills doing this job. Lets not paint it blacker than black, plenty of instructors do very well, but they have to work hard, but then I had to work hard when I was PAYE, nothing in this life falls into your lap, you have to put maximum effort in to get maximum result out.

Last edited by Evan (31-07-13 14:50:56)

#9 31-07-13 17:15:28

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Evan wrote:
sofasurfer wrote:

I have been paying my mortgage for the last 10 years and paying myself a wage and my other bills doing this job. Lets not paint it blacker than black, plenty of instructors do very well, but they have to work hard, but then I had to work hard when I was PAYE, nothing in this life falls into your lap, you have to put maximum effort in to get maximum result out.

You were lucky to have started 10 years ago.  Back then ADI was a good living, with more work than you could handle, and decent income.    But lesson prices have not only failed to keep pace, but in real terms have actually dropped, whilst every business expense has risen.  None more than fuel.

I have been around for 23 years so I'm very lucky.  I  don't have the same expenses as anyone starting within the last couple of years,  so I don't need as  much work.   And what work I get I don't need to  search for because 99% of it is recommends.

I could not afford to start a new driving school business now.

#10 31-07-13 18:34:46

Evan
Administrator

Roadmaster I agree with what you say about lesson prices and the way they have not kept pace. When I started AA and BSM were charging 21 per hour and it took 35 to fill the Vauxhall corsa I used as a tuition car.

I totally agree with what you say please read my first post. I would not want to start out now and I am very lucky no advertising all work is referral generated.

I think Driving Instruction prices in line with most people's salaries have not risen over the last few years, to be honest I see no change in the foreseeable future and probably never in our lifetimes.

I also believe the way the insurance for young people is going it will price many out of the car market.

Last edited by Evan (31-07-13 18:35:54)

#11 31-07-13 21:33:04

Evan
Administrator

Triker wrote:

Ev I know you have been in the business for some years and to be fair I always managed to pay my way without tax credits and for that matter any other benefits.

However the job is a lot different now compared with the 80's and 90's and in the current financial climate I wouldn't advise anyone to start their own business in driving tuition.

The job is a lot different Steve their are a lot less natural drivers about, instructors have to be more inventive and can't teach from a script. Which I honestly feel is the reason some don't stay in the job they run out of ideas once the PST's stop working for them, that may seem sarcastic to some, but I honestly believe some never get much further than teaching from the PST script, some of that blame falls onto the shoulders of those who trained them.

Last edited by Evan (31-07-13 21:34:04)

#12 01-08-13 05:08:20

Roadmaster
Verified Member

They get even less teaching on how to run a business, which is just as important as being able to give instruction.

#13 01-08-13 06:01:48

Evan
Administrator

Roadmaster wrote:

They get even less teaching on how to run a business, which is just as important as being able to give instruction.

Very true RM and I think the way the job was advertised a few years ago was very misleading, work hours to suit around your family etc.

#14 01-08-13 06:04:55

RobC
Verified Member
Website

I think its a difficult time for anyone starting a business at the moment. To be self employed and run a business requires a wider range of skill than most employed jobs and most new start businesses fail within the first 3 years.

I don't know if you are any less likely to succeed as an ADI than other occupations however I do know that being an ADI is a difficult job to do well and you have to work very hard to make a decent living.
I've been self employed for 25 years, however if I'd continued as a local government official I would have had 8 weeks paid holiday every year sick leave and and be looking forward to retiring in a few years on a big pension whilst as an ADI retirements not really an option.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#15 02-08-13 06:39:42

Evan
Administrator

I believe a motivated person, who never gives up and sets themselves targets will do well in any job. Talking in the car to the young people I teach, you can tell the ones who are going to make it and go far, they stand out from the crowd. It is not down to qualifications either. I was brought up with a do it yourself and work hard ethic, I thank my father for drumming that into me. Quite a lot of the young folk I teach have the same view, this business is tough to get started in and make a success of. Just like its hard to get a job these days, but it's always the same types that get the jobs and the same types that do well in this and any other business.

Motivation, determination and dedication will usually lead to success. Consider the amount of disabled people who succeed in this world compared to their lazy fully abled peers.

I still say if you really want to do this job and want to be a success it is possible.

Last edited by Evan (02-08-13 06:41:52)

#16 02-08-13 07:03:55

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Evan wrote:

I believe a motivated person, who never gives up and sets themselves targets will do well in any job. Talking in the car to the young people I teach, you can tell the ones who are going to make it and go far, they stand out from the crowd. It is not down to qualifications either. I was brought up with a do it yourself and work hard ethic, I thank my father for drumming that into me. Quite a lot of the young folk I teach have the same view, this business is tough to get started in and make a success of. Just like its hard to get a job these days, but it's always the same types that get the jobs and the same types that do well in this and any other business.

Motivation, determination and dedication will usually lead to success. Consider the amount of disabled people who succeed in this world compared to their lazy fully abled peers.

I still say if you really want to do this job and want to be a success it is possible.

Agree with what you say about work ethic Evan, but my wife is an excellent driver and very hard working and very successful in her own career, but she would never make a Driving Instructor as she's a nervous passenger.

#17 02-08-13 07:15:34

Evan
Administrator

Yes my wife is much the same Rob very successful in her career but no way would she become an instructor. I should have been more specific, I meant any job they chose to do.

Last edited by Evan (02-08-13 07:17:14)

#18 02-08-13 08:37:40

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Evan wrote:

Yes my wife is much the same Rob very successful in her career but no way would she become an instructor. I should have been more specific, I meant any job they chose to do.

Agree my wife probably wouldn't choose to be an ADI, its probable however that the original poster asked the question about becoming an ADI due to the popular misconception put about in TV and press adverts of a few years back that "anyone could be an ADI and earn 30K"

Of course some ADI training companies didn't tell anyone that being an ADI was not for them and took thousands of pounds off them whilst also failing to tell them that most PDI never make ADIs and that many of those who did could't make a go of it. Often not because they lacked a positive work ethic either!

Last edited by RobC (02-08-13 08:46:29)

#19 02-08-13 10:07:46

Evan
Administrator

No it's a bit naughty just taking money off folk with any real discussion about suitability.

#20 02-08-13 18:26:00

sofasurfer
Verified Member

It seems that Lee Hibberd has been an employee for the last 20 years and has a job. My advice to anyone in that situation would be to stay in employment, the risk of leaving a steady job and training as an ADI is too high. Particularly, if he has a family to support.

#21 06-09-13 08:31:39

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Hi L Hibberd

Like any business this one has it good and bad points but any business will survive IF you want it too. If you follow your dream and put that before financial reward then it will happen. It is a strange paradox but if you forget about money and do what you really enjoy doing then money will follow you.

Do you have a REAL passion to do this?

Do you see yourself making a success at this and helping people to pass their driving test and securing their dream of driving?

If you have the genuine passion and trust me this is what comes first then you will succeed

Ask yourself, why cant you do this and succeed where MANY other have? the answer is you can, if you think you cannot then you have failed already.

Speak soon

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

Board footer