You are not logged in.

#1 03-09-13 08:52:48

Midget

Don't know when i am ready to drive my own car while still learning

Im 23 years old and have been learning for about 5 months now roughly, although at first my instructor kept on cancelling all the time so its more like 3 months i guess. Any way, have a new instructor and loving driving. The car my instructor has is a clio mk3, my dads car is a clio mk2. They drive different but all cars do. I want to get behind my dad's car to drive already but i don't feel like i have enough confidence to, im worried of crashing it and my dad will be angry as we don't have any money really. I can drive and im safe but its the thought of crashing that scares me.

Any help?

Also im worried about my theory as im not very good with learning things

03-09-13 08:52:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Don't know when i am ready to drive my own car while still learning

#2 03-09-13 08:57:33

(ROG)
Verified Member

If you know how to stop/slow down and your dad who is supervising you says stop or slow down then what is the problem ?

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 03-09-13 09:09:47

Midget

Having trust in my own ability i guess. I asked my instructor if i would be ok to take my dad's car out, he asked how i felt, i said the same about crashing his car, so my instructor told me to go some where i know

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 03-09-13 09:10:25

(ROG)
Verified Member

Midget wrote:

Also im worried about my theory as im not very good with learning things

If you mean reading and remembering then how about trying another method such as your dad asking you questions and you giving or finding the answers

there is usually one method that works

IAM Observer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 03-09-13 09:11:25

(ROG)
Verified Member

Midget wrote:

Having trust in my own ability i guess. I asked my instructor if i would be ok to take my dad's car out, he asked how i felt, i said the same about crashing his car, so my instructor told me to go some where i know

Can you slow down or stop if a supervising driver says so? ... yes or no?

IAM Observer

#6 03-09-13 09:12:52

Midget

My parents ain't that good at reading. I had someone helping me but since i sent my practice test results for the hazard perception, they don't seem to want to help

#7 03-09-13 09:15:11

Midget

yes i can, i can also analyse the situation my self

#8 03-09-13 09:21:44

(ROG)
Verified Member

Midget wrote:

yes i can, i can also analyse the situation my self

No probs then unless you deem that your dad or mum will not make a good supervising driver

If mum or dad cannot help that much with theory then do you have a friend who can?

IAM Observer

#9 03-09-13 09:26:20

Midget

have a boy friend but he doesn't really seem interested in helping

#10 03-09-13 12:57:25

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Hi Midget,

The ability to stop / slow down if someone says so isn't really a good basis for deciding if you should go out with a non instructor. What if the supervising driver isn't paying enough attention? You need to be sure in yourself that YOU can take control of the situation and not just do what someone says!

First things first, Ask your dad to sit in the back of a lesson so he can get an idea of your ability and can talk directly to your instructor.

The whole reason for extra practise is just that, practise. You need to talk to your instructor about what it is you want from the time in your dads car. The biggest mistake people make is trying to do too much too soon.

My advice to anyone who is getting taken out with a friend / parent is for the first session go out at a very quiet time of day - sunday morning at 8am is always good. Pick a very very simple route, just left left left or right right right right. Nothing difficult, nothing that will make you panic, and drive round for 5 minutes then stop. The important thing is to ask the person sitting next to you to say nothing. This lets you get used to the car, having someone different sat next to you, and taking control of things yourself. Then, just build it up bit by bit.

The worst thing to have is someone sitting next to you saying "stop! Slow down! Watch out for the blue car!" as all it will do is panic you and cause more problems. The best supervising drivers are the ones who say the least.

Stop regularly, talk through what you've done with your superviser and get advice WHEN YOU'VE STOPPED.

Hope that helps...

#11 03-09-13 13:38:59

AUTAX
Verified Member

Excellent advice by a respected ADI Midget. Chris has hit the nail on the head.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#12 04-09-13 16:59:37

ExAdiNigel

Midget wrote:

I want to get behind my dad's car to drive already but i don't feel like i have enough confidence to, im worried of crashing it and my dad will be angry as we don't have any money really.

It might seem a daft question, but has your Dad added you onto the insurance?

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#13 21-09-13 10:59:11

Itaintmeyouknow

If you have a smartphone, get the official DSA theory test app.  It has study topics and you can take a real time mock test including Hazard perception tests.  I found it very useful.  Go through the modules and test yourself regularly.

Board footer